"i had to lay it down"

John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cX2L4khQv4

1. going too fast

2. still had ample room to stop if he knew what he was doing

3. if brakes failed id rather aim for the left of the car and take my chances trying to cut behind the truck, rather than slide myself right towards it... a few more feet to the right and he could have been crushed.

Edited by John

Jeez, didnt the guy see and get the big alarm bells going off in his head?! - "HEY IDIOT! THERE'S A HUGE FUCKING TRUCK ACROSS THE ROADWAY!" Amazing...and there was plenty of room to slow down and brake too.

Edited by mello dude

I would say stupid for just going that fast. and if he was paying attention he would have seen the truck went wide. lol I can't say much I have had a crash of my own. couple of them. I am ready for the season.

Using my super duper detective skills you will notice that yes he did indeed panic. But if you look closer at the shadow of the front wheel you will see that it looks more like he locked the front wheel up.

On a side note wouldnt you be more prone to high-side locking the rear. That is if you release the brake with the rear wheel stepped way out. If your rear wheel is tracking with the front and its locked up nothing happens but a long skid mark. Assuming you know how to steer a bike.

Using my super duper detective skills you will notice that yes he did indeed panic. But if you look closer at the shadow of the front wheel you will see that it looks more like he locked the front wheel up.

I concur. He locked the front a split second after he turned it to the right and the the front just slid out from under him. Am I seeing it wrong or was that dude in the neon yellow vest standing at the side of the road waving everyone down? I am pretty sure that was him to the right well into the road just before the stopped car waving his ass off.

On a side note wouldnt you be more prone to high-side locking the rear. That is if you release the brake with the rear wheel stepped way out. If your rear wheel is tracking with the front and its locked up nothing happens but a long skid mark. Assuming you know how to steer a bike.

Certainly the rear locked is more likely to lead to a high side. But you don't have to release the brake for it to high side. Sooner or later it will regain traction as you slow down...and if it is still going sideways when it regains traction that will trigger the high side.

And I want to see someone make a long skidmark with the rear locked and have it still be tracking with the front. That would be impressive. Sure you can turn into it and keep it in pretty decent shape but I think you are still more than far enough out of shape to risk the high side.

And I want to see someone make a long skidmark with the rear locked and have it still be tracking with the front. That would be impressive. Sure you can turn into it and keep it in pretty decent shape but I think you are still more than far enough out of shape to risk the high side.

I agree that there is still somewhat of a risk. But i would assume that an average rider could keep the bike under control with the rear wheel locked. That is if he was on a straight road at a reasonable speed.

I dont know if its more difficult on a criuser style bike. I have never tried it. But i have on my bike from 60ish in an emergency situation when a lady pulled out infront of me on a country road. I have also come close to high-siding at 25mph. Same type of situation but i was mid turn going thru our round-about downtown when some kids stepped in the crosswalk when i had the green light. The rear locked then i let off it quick. It was a split second but it still bucked my butt off the seat.

On a side note wouldnt you be more prone to high-side locking the rear.

That is if you release the brake with the rear wheel stepped way out. If your rear wheel is

tracking with the front and its locked up nothing happens but a long skid mark. Assuming you

know how to steer a bike.

Certainly the rear locked is more likely to lead to a high side. But you don't

have to release the brake for it to high side. Sooner or later it will regain traction as you slow down...

and if it is still going sideways when it regains traction that will trigger the high side.

I agree that there is still somewhat of a risk. But i would assume that an average rider could keep the bike under

control with the rear wheel locked. That is if he was on a straight road at a reasonable speed.

I did it. I fishtailed several times, hitting my left knee on the ground

on the last slide but straightened it out and released the rear without

high siding. Had to clean my pants afterwards, but I did it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2L2pn35Ulk&list=UUJP7J9xMXxkKlbcxn4l70VQ

I love how the Russian guys come up and look at him like he's a moron.

:lol:

Edit: gix, you should go out and practice riding a locked rear brake to a stop from say 40mph. Just make sure someone is taping the lulz. Its like trying to ride on buttered tires. You will be amazed how fast your ass hits the pavement.

Edited by max power

Edit: gix, you should go out and practice riding a locked rear brake to a stop from say 40mph. Just make sure someone is taping the lulz. Its like trying to ride on buttered tires. You will be amazed how fast your ass hits the pavement.

lol its just like when you were a kid... get your bike up to speed then jam on the coaster brakes and lock up the rear into a sweet slide :lol:

we had a nice hill on my road that we would use to get some serious speed. i remember my dad being like "wtf how is your tire worn out this fast?" :lol: