home defense shotgun setup?

scottie.harris

Im just curious as to how you guys keep your home defense shotguns setup. When i say setup i mean do you have ammo chambered and ready, have ammo next to the gun, or keep it ready to be pumped to shoot. Also explain why you choose that setup.

I personally keep ammo next to it and will load a few shells into if i go to look. I wont pump a shell in unless im ready to fire or holdem up because i dont want to give my presence away.

Also what accessories do you have, im considering a led light to blind the snot out of them.

keep one in the chamber and the tube full - if you need to pull the trigger immediately you're not wasting time racking it.

if you want to rack it to use the sound to (hopefully) scare off the intruder(s), and it works, you can always pick up the shell that was ejected.

lights help you see, may blind the intruder, may give away your position. pros/cons.

get a dog with a deep, manly bark. best first line of defense, imho.

***edit: reduced/low recoil loads should make for easier/quicker follow-up shots.

if you don't have a shotgun already, consider a 20 gauge. less recoil, easier follow-up, still plenty to stop a bad guy.

Edited by jblosser

keep one in the chamber and the tube full - if you need to pull the trigger immediately you're not wasting time racking it.

if you want to rack it to use the sound to (hopefully) scare off the intruder(s), and it works, you can always pick up the shell that was ejected.

lights help you see, may blind the intruder, may give away your position. pros/cons.

***edit: reduced/low recoil loads should make for easier/quicker follow-up shots.

if you don't have a shotgun already, consider a 20 gauge. less recoil, easier follow-up, still plenty to stop a bad guy.

QFT...I have two dogs, and a 20 ga. Benelli Nova just for this. Have yet to ever need it, and hopefully won't.

I keep a Stevens 18" 12ga on a set of clips under the edge of the bed. I keep the tube loaded, but do not have a shell in the chamber. For me, the 1/2 second to retrieve the gun when necessary is enough time to chamber the 1st round. I keep a small led flashlight with the gun, but not mounted to it.

^^^

You can wrap this thread up now!!

Also IMO it is absolutly retarded not to have your gun loaded (unless you have children or other circumstances and then you make provisions for that). Do you have a fire extinguisher? Do you keep it loaded??? Same differance in my opinion!

/Thread ;)

...get a dog with a deep, manly bark. best first line of defense, imho...

I should add that if you intend your dog to be a first line of defense, (s)he should NOT be sacked out, snoring on your bed like my 75 lb. purebred Appalachian Porch Hound seems to be a lot of the time.

:D

picture.php?albumid=673&pictureid=15435

Im reconsidering to keep a few shells in the tube now, as far as the gun i already have an 870 12g. As my first line of defense, i have 3 labs that all stay in the bedroom with me, if anything gets in the house they let me know.

I was originally waiting for a gun from dale, but my friendly neighborhood has had someone going around breaking in.

I challenge you to be able to 1, get awake enough to realize what is happening. 2, grab your gun. 3, find your box of shells. 4, open the box and load your gun in the dark with your hands shaking because you have never been in this situation before. 5, chamber a round ..... All before I am standing over you with mine pointed at your chest already chambered. Ready GO.

• Upvote 1

I keep mine fully loaded and one in the chamber. Keeps the element of surprise mine and shortens the amount of time needed to make the gun ready. As for a light, I have a Streamlight TLR-1. Its mounted just forward of the pump handle on a small rail so I can activate it with my left hand. If you want to see the pics of my setup check it out in this thread;

http://www.ohioriders.net/showpost.php?p=758766&postcount=6

I think a light is a good thing. You just have to use it correctly. Don't turn it on as soon as you get spooked. That will certainly give away your position. The idea of the light works best to stun the bad guy just briefly enough when he comes into view so you can get the best first shot you can. Both of you will have your eyes adjusted to see at night. If you can fire a very bright light at his face without warning he will be forced to close his eyes and turn away even if it is ever so brief you will gain advantage.

IMG_20120114_152249.jpg

IMG_20120114_152326.jpg

IMG_20120114_152340.jpg

I keep mine loaded to the Max, safety off, stored in gun locker beside my bed, surefire g2 nitrolon ultra high output 120 lumens mounted in a VTAC light mount. Lights are a good tool if used appropriately if you have one mounted you have an option to use it.

http://www.surefire.com/G2-Nitrolon

Same light I have mounted to my AR15.

^ i wouldnt like leaving the safety off....its right by the trigger and takes a fraction of a second to turn off before taking a shot...in the heat of the moment, with your nerves going crazy, etc, i would be worried about having an AD while retreiving the gun from the safe...i know my nova has a very light trigger with not much travel, i wouldnt take the safety off until i had a firm grip on the weapon....just have to practice making the safety second nature....even hunting i leave it on until im ready to take a shot, because it takes no time at all to take it off

^ i wouldnt like leaving the safety off....its right by the trigger and takes a fraction of a second to turn off before taking a shot...in the heat of the moment, with your nerves going crazy, etc, i would be worried about having an AD while retreiving the gun from the safe...i know my nova has a very light trigger with not much travel, i wouldnt take the safety off until i had a firm grip on the weapon....just have to practice making the safety second nature....even hunting i leave it on until im ready to take a shot, because it takes no time at all to take it off

I don't pickup my shotgun by the trigger guard. I don't put my finger inside the trigger guard until I'm ready to fire. If you feel safer with your safety on fine, just not for me. I don't want to question whether or not the safety is on when I pull the trigger. Now if I was hunting I would leave the safety on, different story.

Im a mix of your theorys, safety is on during storage but if im searching for someone i have it off but dont put my finger on the trigger til im ready to shoot.

Edited by scottie.harris

Pretty sure Tyler doesn't pick up his gun by the trigger guard nor pop his finger inside (insert joke here) 'til he's ready to fire, either.

Practice enough taking it off safe and it's second nature.

Practice enough with the safe off and it's second nature.

If the OP's asking for opinions, he <might> be better served leaving the safety on and practicing flipping it into ready-to-go-bang mode. Just my $0.022 worth.

Mossberg pistol grip 12g with folding stock, shell storage, front light, chambered and fully loaded with safety off! In the event of a break-in, your heart rate, respiration and adrenalin will be on full fight or flight mode. Best to have your defensive tools ready to go without fumbling around for the safety or some other aspect of you defensive operation. Remember, if u r chambered and ready to go, you can put your ears on full power and make the appropriate moves in the dark, silently. Also depends on your close quarters combat training. Have a back-up plan that does not require a firearm of any type. I recommend Krav-Maga training!

You guys are crazy just move to a better neighborhood and you won't need all these guns and bullets. Jeez!!

I already live in a better neighborhood. Criminals live in all neighborhoods though. Heck just look at public officials, how many of them turn out to be crooks and they usually live in really posh communities. :D:rolleyes:

Granted they don't usually kick in your door to steel your money. They just put it to a vote and send you a bill in the mail. :eek:;)

• Upvote 1