O.R. Bug out weekends!

kawi kid

Sounds like fun. I don't have a BOB (I bug-in, not out), but I have camping gear and mad skillz with shooting shit and keeping tent-secrets. Plus, I have a cool Rambo knife I got from the flea market, I've been wanting to cut up an industrial tarp and make a sleeveless smock out of it.

Will try to make it to some if not all. I've been wanting to do Wildcat Hollow for a while, this sounds funner than by myself.

Edited by swingset

Honestly my bug out bag Is a bit lacking also. I'm just like you and plan on a bug in which is why I wanted to start something like this to help me in the areas where I lack.

In truth, I do have a bug-out bag, but its purpose is to get me back to the homestead...so it's geared towards that end, and is small and portable enough to go with me on the bike, car, at work, etc. It would be pretty miserable to live out of - sleeping on the ground, only clothes I have on me, etc.

I work in the ghetto, so 95% of my concentration is shit to get me out of that in case of disaster, riot, etc. Sheepleflage, spare mags, illumination & communication is paramount.

IMHO, the most important part of your BOB is the plan. Where are you going, will your kit get you there, and then what? Some people put together a tactialicious pack full of shit and rub their hands together in hopes of going Road Warrior after the zombie apocalypse. My aim is get my ass home, sit tight and make sure my shit stays mine. Plan B is get the fuck away from whatever messed up my house, until it's cool to go back home.

Edited by swingset
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Survival bible articles

http://cd3wd.com/cd3wd_40/cd3wd/index.htm

If anyone is looking for a decent bag for a reasonable price I picked this one up for a 3 week trip on the appalachian trail. Very happy with it. Held just about enough for the entire trip. lol

http://www.amazon.com/CUSCUS-7500ci-Internal-Hiking-Backpack/dp/B000WIEXQ2/ref=sr_1_12?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1335246560&sr=1-12

Edited by ped

With all the ups and downs in temperature I have been holding off on setting dates. I'm kind waiting to see what may holds weather wise.

Impending zombie hordes? Fuck that, it's cold outside!

:D

Sounds like fun. I'd like to join in and meet some folks. I've done similar weekends to test out my gear at some local land.

Impending zombie hordes? Fuck that, it's cold outside!

:D

I've camped in my backpackers tent in mid to upper 30s. If I hadn't had a spare blanket to put over the mummy bag I'd have packed up and rucked back out. I'm glad I got to experience it, but something I wouldn't go out of my way to do again.

I went on a "no tents allowed" camp out in Northern Michigan about 8 years ago. There was already a foot of snow on the ground when we got to the area. We built our shelters from a tarp and sticks. That night it got down to -16º F and snowed all night. It never got above 10º F the whole weekend. It is the only time in my life I actually got frostbite. You women need to man up :D

P.S. If anyone is wondering, this is a true story. I didn't make it up.

Sounds like fun. I'd like to join in and meet some folks. I've done similar weekends to test out my gear at some local land.

I've camped in my backpackers tent in mid to upper 30s. If I hadn't had a spare blanket to put over the mummy bag I'd have packed up and rucked back out. I'm glad I got to experience it, but something I wouldn't go out of my way to do again.