Just ordered a new puter

2talltim

Hope i didnt jump the gun a have to regret it later, but tonight the storm took out my 11 year old dell, i bought that thing around the time XP first came out. I've needed to upgrade for some time, watching videos on that thing sucked. I came aross these on the staples web site http://www.staples.com/HP-DC5700-Refurbished-Desktop-PC/product_557046 the price was right were i wanted to be so i hope it all works out. It's a refeb but comes with a 1 yr warranty. I figured just to have someone fix my old dell would be about the same price.

Now i need to put a new screen in my laptop, or maybe just replace it too, its almost 7yrs old.

I bought an inexpensive Compaq (HP) refurb laptop last year just to do school work and type papers on...it has really shocked me as to how reliable it has been. It's not the fastest AMD procesor but with 3GB RAM, DVD R/W, 15.6 display, 250GB HD it gets the job done and runs Windows 7 just fine. For $250 bucks I can't complain. It is my first HP amd has served me well for over a year with no problems whatsoever.

Edited by drew95gt

Ive heard the same about dell, but ive gotten my monies worth out of both of mine. I figure for under $200 if it last 2 years ill be happy. I have 2 kids 12 and 9 it would not be worth it for me to get a nice one right now. They would just tear it up

My previous laptop was a Toshiba. Went a year in Iraq, countless field rotations, dropped, thrown, pounds of dust blown out, dirt, mud....you name it. It held up fantastically for 5 yrs until the back light went out. I opted to get a refurbished Toshiba just to upgrade but the other sits hooked up to the TV. They've proved themselves to me.

From the spec's it shows that it only has a 80GB hard drive, I would have that filled to capacity in a week. You might want to add another hard drive if you store photos/videos on your computer.

We have always kept our media on a external HD..my old one only has a 40gb

ok i did jump the gun a little. it ended up being the power supply, my buddy has the same model and we swapped them and it fired right up, and i can get one on egay for $17. Oh well i fix the antique and let the kids pound away on it and save the new one the shame.

ok i did jump the gun a little. it ended up being the power supply, my buddy has the same model and we swapped them and it fired right up, and i can get one on egay for $17. Oh well i fix the antique and let the kids pound away on it and save the new one the shame.

Sounds like a WIN to me!

I have to backup the comment about building a PC. The one I'm using right right now would probably be over $1k, and I have about $700 in it, including a copy of Windows.

I don't know how many I've built in my day, but anymore if I can get a decent deal on a Dell I'd probably do it. If you can get a 3 or 4yr warranty on the whole thing it's nice. I've got experience working with Dell support from work so I know their process.

With DIY there is a seperate warranty on each part. It is so anoying to deal with I just end up replacing the bad part on my dollar.

Also for a laptop get nothing less than a 2 yr warranty, very preferably 3yr. From my experience by the 3rd year stuff starts breaking on them just from normal use.. mostly the power port and network jack if you use that often, the display ect.

I've been building or help build desktops since I was 7 or 8, but the last one I just bought from a big box store in a really big box. For the price I just couldn't see building one, I probably would have ended spending more building it myself so I added a hard drive and need to order some 4 gig sticks. I used to go to computer shows with the old man and pickup components, but haven't been to a computer show in years. The last PC show I went to was crap!