So I'd Like To Install My Own Chains...

wantahertzdonut

The motion pro tool works good until you remove it to check progress and don't get it repositioned correctly and break the pin like I did then you have to buy a replacement.

I can now feel when it's aligned correctly. But yes, it's seldom on the first try. I've come close to breaking one while trying to push without grinding first. Which just makes me think I should get a spare pin or two. It will happen eventually when I don't want it to break.

Master-link with a clip works just fine too.:cool:

you still have to press the side plates on the master link. so you're back to using a chain tool. and those are for dirtbikes. EK even says right on the box do not use that kind of master link on a street bike.

Edited by serpentracer

I use a right angle die grinder to remove the rivets, do this while it is positioned on the rear sprocket and the chain will not flex on you. No need to use the chain tool to remove the link. Just shove a big screwdriver or chisel in the old link to pry apart.

ZRX341.jpg

RK chain tool here to install your new master.

ZRX100.jpg

you girl. I use a big ol 4" dewalt grinder.:D

actually a sanding disk on your angle grinder works better than those stones do.

as others have said, the RK tool is great. it paid for itself after the first use.

also, there is nothing wrong with clip style master links. the biggest mistake folks make regarding them, is that they forget to set them in place with some RTV silicone... i've never had a problem, and have always been confident with this method.

I will never use a clip link again. I have had 2 fail. One at about 75mph and I went for a massive highside as the chain locked up the rear wheel and the other we found with the bike sitting in the pits.

I've heard things like this from more than one person. But it's a personal choice I guess. If you feel safe with a clip link then have at it.

to get the old chain off you can just use a cutting wheel or dremel. just cut through the side plates and pull it off.

if you want to use the clip, like other said, safety wire it and put a dab of RTV on there.

if you want the rivet, then you will need the tool.

if your new chain is longer than your old one you need to figure out where to cut it. once you figure out how long you need it to be, just take your cutting wheel or dremel, and cut off the side plates of that link. then use your chain tool to press out the one pin and you're ready to install.

i have the motion pro tool. its not too bad.

I will never use a clip link again. I have had 2 fail. One at about 75mph and I went for a massive highside as the chain locked up the rear wheel and the other we found with the bike sitting in the pits.

just curious, did you have it wired and some RTV on there?

Oh, and measure twice and cut once when shortening a chain. heheh

you can put it on the sprockets and pull it tight to check your plans.

Use a grease pencil or sharpie to mark which one to cut or remove rivet from.

Oh, and measure twice and cut once when shortening a chain. heheh

you can put it on the sprockets and pull it tight to check your plans.

Use a grease pencil or sharpie to mark which one to cut or remove rivet from.

Very good advise. I just did on new to me zrx. it was "pre cut 110 link", but when I put it on, it was long.... I had to cut.

new and onld chain side by side and count links before put on bike.

About tool, I always hear good things about RK tool.

I use ebay one around $40. (motion pro knock off) works for me.

not bad idea to buy tool especially you got multiple bike.

also if you are shopping for good brand chain for less.

Try these guy, I called them and pick chain fron what they have( I needed high tensile strength. ) and they cut for you. (but it was one link too long...) including the RK rivet link.

http://www.slmracing.com/

Good luck.