Advice from OR on oil/filter...

Turbotom09

I've been doing some research on bobistheoilguy.com and other places...just figured I'd ask all of your opinion also.

My new (to me) bike is due for it's first oil change since I've had it.

04 zx6rr just clicked over to 10k miles.

What would you guys recommend for oil/filter?

I've been hearing a lot of positives about Rotella, it is JASO-MA rated so it is safe in bikes...

I always ran the conventional Valvoline in my last bike.

Just looking for opinions...

:o

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh oh... oil and filter thread warning...

Use only JASO-MA in bikes...

I ran the Rotella when it gained the JASO-MA rating. I've not been too overly impressed, but the stuff works. I'll be using it to store the bikes over the Winter, because it's ultra cheap. Otherwise using something like Castrol Actevo 4T or equivalent or better. Which is an ok choice for a low compression water cooled 4cyl bike like mine. Different bikes and different riding styles have different needs. Technically I ride to work in the city a lot, so that has demands on the oil I will use.

Many of the filters are all the same with various different name brands on them. I use the ones with the additional micro filters, but even that is contestable as to whether it's a good idea or not. I won't name all the brand names, but one of the micro filtering types is available at discount stores cheap. (yeah, walmart) I am using the same thing bought straight from the Purolator factory in 6 packs, unmarked filters. Even cheaper.

Search for the oil threads, we got a ton of them with really good info in them.

edit: when in doubt, use what the owner's manual or service manual says to use. If that's all dealer stuff, it will work great.

edit: confusion... Shell Rotella has dropped the JASO-MA specifications from their website for Rotella T3 and Rotella T6. It now shows JASO-MA for "Rotella T Triple Protection". I won't be using Rotella any more, not if they can't make up their minds...

Edited by ReconRat

I tried searching, but apparently I'm a jackass 'cause i couldn't find much. Probably because so many people like me start redundant threads lol

Have you ran the Castrol? It's not a very popular oil over on bitog.

I have also heard mixed opinions on the Mobil, I don't know if I want to spend the money on synthetics or not (easily convinced though)

I always ran rotella in my sv racebike, but switched to Motorex when I picked them up

As a sponsor on the 600's. I'll be using rotella again in my next sv, I always change oil after every race weekend.

...Have you ran the Castrol? It's not a very popular oil over on bitog. I have also heard mixed opinions on the Mobil, I don't know if I want to spend the money on synthetics or not (easily convinced though)

Honestly, I think I'd rather run one of the Repsol instead of Castrol. But it's hard to break habits. (I've used Castrol in everything forever.) I would say use the Repsol or better in a high compression engine. Part of that is just curiosity, I want to see if the Repsol is as good as I think. Dunno...

My bike has alway has Suzuki branded oil, and what ever filter(usually frame)But i cange it every 2500-3000 and never a mile over. I cant use Synthetic in mine because it makes my clutch slip, the 97 TL are know for clutch slippage because of only having 5 clutch springs vs. 6 that they put in later models. My bike have a little over 40,000 miles on it now.

I use Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic w/ factory filter. If it makes you sleep better in your bed at night, because your oil bottle has a photo of a bike on it, go for it. All you're doing, is wasting money. I never heard of anyone blowing up their engine, using Rotella in their bike.