cranks, won't start. oil light's on...

redkow97

Okay, i just got done with the throttle cable install chronicled in another thread.

I fired the bike up, and it ran fine. idled, revved, and ran exactly as it should have.

I shut the bike off and started putting some other stuff back together, and in the process, I noticed I was pinching the wires that run to the power commander. So I turned the key and cranked the engine to make sure that wasn't causing problems.

Cranks, doesn't start...

And what I think is more telling is I am not hearing the normal "hum" that occurs when you turn the bike on. I believe that's either the fuel pump or oil pump that primes the system for start. That is not happening.

the oil light is now on, and i don't remember if it always is when you start it up, or if that's new.

My first guess was that I connected a plug poorly, and it came loose after my initial test run, but having checked all the plugs, that's not it.

thoughts?

This is beyond frustrating, given that I just struggled for 2 days, finally finished the last job, and now have a new problem.:cry:

Is there a circuit that feeds the fuel pump in the pc wiring? Not sure myself, but double check the pump circuit fuse first, then maybe try continuity tests on the pc harness to see if theres any broken wire leads - and for the oil indicator, some bikes its normal for it to glow until the bikes running - good luck man, sounds like some bad luck came in AFTER the cable install went well

Oil light will be on if its not running since it isn't reading any oil pressure. After checking the kill switch, Id follow the pinched wiring if possible to see where it goes. Make sure the wires didn't get cut where you pinched them.

+1 for finding and fixing the problem yourself. -20 for going public with your less than adequate mechanical ability prior to. :D was there any sort of damage where you pinched those wires anyway? I'd done that a bunch of times myself on the 51 cuz there were so many goddamn wires under that thing!!

no damage to the wires, but I was a LOT more careful putting it back together the second time after I thought that was the problem.

My power commander is in the bike's tool box, so wiring runs from the tool box on the right side, back around the tank where it gets power from the battery, and then around to the left side of the bike where it plugs into... something...

Anyway, the metal bracket that actually allows the seat to hold the rider's weight was sort of pinching that wire against the gas tank.

All i had to do was make sure the wiring stayed wider, near the sub-frame, because the tank itself curves downward and creates more room.

the only thing the bike needs to be track ready is:

- 'new' rear master cylinder (old one was leaking. $9.95 on ebay. should arrive tuesday)

- repair the bodywork

- replace tires.

Then pray it's all straight, and I should probably swap out the brake fluid and bleed the front brakes.

so close, yet so far away.

Ask Jbot about the time he called me' date=' frantic, from Grattan because his CBR would die when he dipped his bike in a corner.

He now understands what to do with mc parts that have giant arrows on them. :lol:[/quote']

That's the best way to keep him from crashing. :p

the only problem i'm having now is where I am going to mount it.

I looked up the stock mounting location, and it's between the headlights. I obviously don't have headlights, so i have to find a suitable way to hook it up.

Right n ow i'm leaning toward tape and zip ties...

the only problem i'm having now is where I am going to mount it.

I looked up the stock mounting location, and it's between the headlights. I obviously don't have headlights, so i have to find a suitable way to hook it up.

Right n ow i'm leaning toward tape and zip ties...

Mine is mounted to the back of the upper fairing stay behind the gauges. It is only zip tied right now but if you have a stock fairing stay, it actually has two flats that can be drilled and tapped

I went out and took a picture for you. If look just to the left of the BAS, you can see the little flat that I am referring to. There are two of them and spaced perfectly for the bank angle sensor.

6870121866_0ec8df69df_c.jpg

Redkow, I have some unpainted track bodywork if you interested price wont be too much. I should be up your way Weds and could meet up/drop off.

If you still have that body in May, I will pick it up from you. I won't have cash until then so if you can get rid of it before then go ahead.

If you still have that body in May, I will pick it up from you. I won't have cash until then so if you can get rid of it before then go ahead.

If you want it I have no problem holding on to it for you. I can have it for you at Nelson in May

If you want it I have no problem holding on to it for you. I can have it for you at Nelson in May

If Chris needs/wants it, give it to him. I would only have it as a spare that I would hope not to use but you never know what's going to happen