Anyone ever do a Bourbon County trip?

rhector

I'm thinking about riding down to Bourbon County on a Friday, go on a couple distillery tours on a Saturday, then head back on Sunday. Sounds like it could be a fun short weekend trip. Does anyone have any suggestions/experience on where to stay and who to use as a guided tour/transportation?

Right now I am leaning towards the Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve distilleries. I don't want to be doing bourbon tastings and have to worry about riding the bike afterwards so I was hoping to find some sort of tour bus transportation. Hopefully someone on here has some experience doing this and can make recommendations!

Thanks

I went down many moons ago and had a great time...good idea for a trip. Sorry don't have any tour/bus info to impart, and sadly I can't drink bourbon anymore (kills my stomach). Come to think of it, my entire post is useless. hehe.

But, it's a good area to ride and a nice trip.

here is all i could find... according to the second web site it is $119per person per tour witch only get you 2 distileries..i would get a group together and have a DD, that way maybe hit 4 of them in 2 days

http://www.mintjuleptours.com/Bourbon-Trail-Tour.html

http://www.bourbontrailtours.com/Tours-Offered.html

I've been to all of the distilleries at least once, and many of them 3 times now and I can say you've made an awesome choice for a fun weekend trip. I'd say if you're going to do only one day of touring, 2 distilleries can be done easily at a comfortable pace, 3 can be done if you plan right and don't waste a whole lot of time in the gift shops after each tour. I personally think the tours at Buffalo trace are the best, so if you want to go there then your other options for distilleries for the day (keeping time in mind) are really Wild Turkey, Woodford, and Four Roses. Obviously you should pick your tours based on your personal preference in bourbon, but I think of those 3 the Four Roses tour is the best. They give you a nice in-depth tour of the facility along with a thorough discussion of the process, and when I last went you got to taste the high and low wines(white dogs) coming off the stills along with an excellent tasting at the end. Woodford is a beautiful facility, but I don't like their brand of snobbish marketing that flows through the tour. However, if you're a fan of pot-stilled irish whisky or scotch, Woodford offers your only opportunity to see the awesomeness of copper pot stills on the trail.

Since you want to do Buffalo trace, I would highly recommend you do one of their hardhat tours, which take you on a more behind the scenes look at the whole process. The tour takes more time than the standard tour, but is well worth it. Still free, you just have to make a reservation beforehand. info: http://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/main.asp?page=guide_tourtimes

I can't help with any bus tour info, but I would say the links above look reasonable if you can't find someone else to drive you around. I've always just driven myself, but I think you've made a good call in not wanting to ride between distilleries. I have stayed in bardstown all the times I've went, which is not helpful to you since you want to be up on the northeast part of the trail.

The worst part about the bourbon trail is that as soon as you leave, you're going to want to go back! :)

No love for Makers Mark?:wtf: I really enjoyed Heaven Hill and the Bourbon Heritage Museum too, for sure a great weekend trip. I had no interest in Jim Beam or Wild Turkey, so the next trip down for me will be Buffalo Trace and 4 Roses.