Financial/retirement planning

jbot

oh, and bonus question: anyone know anything about prenups? it's a subject that will have to be broached eventually by myself and my fiancee in the near future.

My "prenup" consisted of one statement. "Never ask me to sell my bike."

No joke, you may plagiarize.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

skip the mutual funds the fees will kill you. High dividend stock, write covered calls and use the proceeds as income or to buy puts if you are scared of market fluctuation.

https://www.thinkorswim.com/tos/displayPage.tos?webpage=lessonStraddle

If you read this article and don't get it, then wait until you do to invest.

I understand it, but disagree that it's good advice for the layman. If you're gambling on both sides of the "field" on a time-relative basis, you can still lose money, moreso in fees and premiums for conducting those transaction types (option costs).

I found this to be a more simple read on straddles and strangles...

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/straddle.asp

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/strangle.asp

For the layman, multiple, diversified, mutual funds and high quality bond funds are easy to understand and buy for long term growth. Fees are minimal if you're not paying front or end loads, as well as looking for funds with an expense ratio of NO GREATER than 1% and a good Morningstar rating (another easy metric to understand for the typical folk).

To each their own though. YMMV. Especially if you have a high risk/reward threshold, investment duration, and strategy focus.

Rules:

1. Save 'til it hurts

2. Don't seek investment advice on a motorcycle forum.

3. See rule 1.

4. If you're working with Amerprise, you're probably getting screwed.

5. See rule 3.

6. If you work with an advisor, pay fees for service, not sales commissions (see rule 4.)

7. See rule 5.

I've been playing around with some stocks this year and so far it has paid off well. It goes like this...

Invest in company stock. (It has done really well, even through the recession.)

When the CEO sells, I sell. So far every time he sells, stock prices fall drastically.

When the CEO buys, I buy. So far every time he buys the prices go up.

This is all public info, so no worries for me of "insider trading" or what not.

YTD this strategy has earned me almost 37% interest. If only I had more to invest I'd be retired by the end of the year, lol.

I understand it, but disagree that it's good advice for the layman. If you're gambling on both sides of the "field" on a time-relative basis, you can still lose money, moreso in fees and premiums for conducting those transaction types (option costs).

For the layman, multiple, diversified, mutual funds and high quality bond funds are easy to understand and buy for long term growth. Fees are minimal if you're not paying front or end loads, as well as looking for funds with an expense ratio of NO GREATER than 1% and a good Morningstar rating (another easy metric to understand for the typical folk).

To each their own though. YMMV. Especially if you have a high risk/reward threshold, investment duration, and strategy focus.

Wether it is the correct strategy for them or not it. You must work as hard if not harder investing your money as you did earning it. Realizing what you do not know allows you to fully understand the risk you are going to undertake. Transaction costs become de minimus when transaction values are high enough

Edited by shittygsxr

Good thread jb, you get rep when I'm not on my phone.

I need a financial advisor, can you tell me, is it mostly commission based or few based? I definitely need to move some money around but if it was 100 percent commission I'd take the advice differently.

Ya, I burn extra cash it makes what's left worth more.

Advisors can be good but of course they will get a fee. Then there is the train of thought that they don't know anymore than anyone else except how to invest your money to get them the biggest return not necessarily getting you a return. Your employer probably has a 401k advisor his/her services should be free to you regardless if it's a self directed plan. Watch your asset(wrap) fees, there a thing of the past, but brokers don't mind it being there.

sorry to thread jack....but i have an IRA-BDA that my dad left for me when he passed....i also have a 401k through my job....would it be possible to roll my IRA into my 401K without getting any steep penalty or anything? if so - where would i even start? im tired of paying fees to my IRA and getting monthly statements

sorry to thread jack....but i have an IRA-BDA that my dad left for me when he passed....i also have a 401k through my job....would it be possible to roll my IRA into my 401K without getting any steep penalty or anything? if so - where would i even start? im tired of paying fees to my IRA and getting monthly statements

You could probably roll it over into a no-fee IRA with Fidelity or Vanguard.

Also, for those looking at IRAs, don't forget to see if you're eligible for Roth IRA contributions instead of traditional IRAs.

+1

Options are not a good idea for someone new to investing. Way too risky. Straddles and Strangles are even more difficult to analyze potential profitability. I've only done one one strangle before on NFLX. It worked but I really didn't analyze it like I should have. With that being said they can be extremely lucrative. Most of what I do these days are options. Although, if fees are a factor in your gains something isn't right. Costs me 11.00 per trade.

+1

Options are not a good idea for someone new to investing. Way too risky. Straddles and Strangles are even more difficult to analyze potential profitability. I've only done one one strangle before on NFLX. It worked but I really didn't analyze it like I should have. With that being said they can be extremely lucrative. Most of what I do these days are options. Although, if fees are a factor in your gains something isn't right. Costs me 11.00 per trade.

very little risk in covered calls

your right to a point. The risk is still there but your potential losses are reduced as well as your gains are limited also.

I guess my point is/was that if you do not understand the market, the forces acting upon the market and available investment vehicles, then you should take the effort to learn before you invest your hard earned money.

The point of investing is to accelerate the rate of asset growth so you can quit that job that you hate. Good financial decisions will save you years of working a crap job.

Agreed

I guess my point is/was that if you do not understand the market, the forces acting upon the market and available investment vehicles, then you should take the effort to learn before you invest your hard earned money.

The point of investing is to accelerate the rate of asset growth so you can quit that job that you hate. Good financial decisions will save you years of working a crap job.

Wouldn't it just be easier to get a job you love? ;)

Wouldn't it just be easier to get a job you love? ;)

Then retirement planning would not be a concern and this thread would not have existed. I despise my job and am very aggressive in retirement planning. The wife thoroughly enjoys the career path she has chosen and does not give much thought to it.

i figure ill live until im 65ish, then blow whatever small 401k i have on incredibly fun but reckless and stupid shit....ill go out with a bang, and not even have to worry about paying bills after im retired....win/win

So suicide is your retirement plan? :wtf: