Brand new bike backfiring

abdecal

Hey guys, my 2012 Ninja 250r has backfired on me 3 times since I got it (2 weeks ago). Wondering if you would know what's causing this. Usually after it backfires it will have white smoke coming out of the exhaust for 45 seconds to a minute until the engine heats up some. The first backfire came the second time I started it up and it only had about 12 miles on it.

Maybe I have the choke to far when starting it? I imagine a backfire isn't a huge issue but I'd at least like to know if it's me doing something wrong when starting it.

Seems to be common: http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r/109624-loud-bang-backfire-when-starting-cold-1.html

I haven't made it past page three yet.

I'm assuming you're starting it with the choke on, letting it warm up at idle, etc before taking off?

Yep, I always let it warm up before taking off. Choke was all the way on when starting each time it backfired. Scared the shit out of me the first time, it's as loud as a gun shot.

I have no problems at all when the engine is warm.

Good research btw, looks like it may be an issue from the factory?

Yep, I always let it warm up before taking off. Choke was all the way on when starting each time it backfired. Scared the shit out of me the first time, it's as loud as a gun shot.

I have no problems at all when the engine is warm.

Good research btw, looks like it may be an issue from the factory?

I'd probably call a dealer. There are so many threads of people having the exact same problem, that I can't help but to think a dealer might know how to fix it or if there's a recall for it. Or, it could be no big deal and just the nature of the beast.

I'd probably call a dealer. There are so many threads of people having the exact same problem, that I can't help but to think a dealer might know how to fix it or if there's a recall for it. Or, it could be no big deal and just the nature of the beast.

I'm going to give Vista Kawasaki a call and see if they have seen this a lot and if there is a fix for it.

Ive never had my bike backfire, so I know it isnt supposed to backfire. Also I have never used the choke on my bike, so I cannot vouch for it not being caused by the choke. But ya, call up your dealership and they should be able to tell you why its backfiring(if its not.the.choke causing the backfiring then somethings wrong, and if is the choke something may or may not be wrong)

I called Vista Kawasaki and the service tech said it likely has a "failed out spark plug". I asked him if they had many issues with them backfiring and he said they haven't. I'm not to sure about the spark plug theory :wtf:

I called Vista Kawasaki and the service tech said it likely has a "failed out spark plug". I asked him if they had many issues with them backfiring and he said they haven't. I'm not to sure about the spark plug theory :wtf:

Warranty????

I just reae like 50posts from those 2 links, it actually seems like a common thing. ide still go ahead and swap out sparkplugs though if he advised it. The plugs are cheap snd shouldnt take much time to swap, n if it still happens after.the switch me your out what $10 for the new plugs, no biggie.

I just reae like 50posts from those 2 links, it actually seems like a common thing. ide still go ahead and swap out sparkplugs though if he advised it. The plugs are cheap snd shouldnt take much time to swap, n if it still happens after.the switch me your out what $10 for the new plugs, no biggie.

Yeah it looks like that's what I'm gonna try first. If I still have issues I'll call up Middletown Cycle. My first service on the bike is free for having to wait for a new bike to come in. Completely forgot to get that in writing so I'll have to hope they will keep their word.

I'm not sure. I'd have to call Middletown Cycle for that info. I didn't opt for their $1,000 extended warranty but I know Kawasaki has a factory warranty.

You havr a 1year limited factory warrenty that any kawi dealer is obligated to follow, even if its not the dealership you bought the bike at. All parts that are factory defective fall under this warrenty. Aftermarkets or any dmgs due to negligence void said warrenty. Noe if you got aftermarkets that dont effect said part then it is still covrrd by warrenty. Example- fender eliminator or aftermarket break lines wont effect your warrenty on plugs/exhaust. now having aftermarket exausts and jet kit will effect your warranty on the carbs/exhaust.

Yeah it looks like that's what I'm gonna try first. If I still have issues I'll call up Middletown Cycle. My first service on the bike is free for having to wait for a new bike to come in. Completely forgot to get that in writing so I'll have to hope they will keep their word.

Warrenty issues shoulnd not effect your 'first free service' as it really isnt a service, its something they havr to do regardless. Now your 600mile checkup would be the best time to use that 'first free service' but ya if its not in writing it tends to fuck you over, trust me ive mistakenly took peoples word without getting it in wrighting and it fucked me pretty good. Although my issue wae with a $1k couch I now have.to throw away after having it 6mo... P.s. Never shop at furniture city in the airway shopping.center, they will rip you off big time.

but atleast the factory warrenty is in wrighting and you cannot be.screwed out of that.