any suggestions on riding pants?

oldschoolsdime92

i would pick up some riding jeans for most riding....loved mine....theyre comfortable and if you stop somewhere while riding you dont have to take them off and worry about storing them by your bike (like at bike nights, if you wear an overpant there then you wanna walk around you have to leave them on and sweat to death, or leave them on the bike and risk getting them taken, or carrying them and having even more junk to look after - helmet, jacket, and pants....i bought overpants but they were such a PITA i barely ever wore them)

maybe get a 1 piece or 2 piece suits for agressive rides where you know you wont be stopping and hanging out, but for most riding you will like having a pant you dont have to take off or change, and that isnt scorching hot

I opted for redkows one piece suit. Should be arriving tomarow. I don't typically ride and hang out or do the bike night thing. I go ride to ride.I really wanted somthing for the dragon trip in June and the suit fits the bill more than perfect, as long as it fits well. Besides , I always liked the blue ranger,.so now I have a halloween costume!

• Upvote 1

I have some Joe Rocket mesh Phoenix pants that are nice and cool in the summer. They have some armor like the mesh Phoenix jacket. Can't say as to how they will hold up but my wife's Phoenix jacket held up well in her accident several years ago. Unfortunately, it didn't help protect her pelvis which was broken in 2 places (she's fine now).

I have some Joe Rocket mesh Phoenix pants that are nice and cool in the summer. They have some armor like the mesh Phoenix jacket. Can't say as to how they will hold up but my wife's Phoenix jacket held up well in her accident several years ago. Unfortunately, it didn't help protect her pelvis which was broken in 2 places (she's fine now).

That's what concerns me, protection without being soaked with sweat on warm days when off the bike.

My only solution so far is chaps over knee length shorts.

i would pick up some riding jeans for most riding....loved mine....theyre comfortable and if you stop somewhere while riding you dont have to take them off and worry about storing them by your bike (like at bike nights, if you wear an overpant there then you wanna walk around you have to leave them on and sweat to death, or leave them on the bike and risk getting them taken, or carrying them and having even more junk to look after - helmet, jacket, and pants....i bought overpants but they were such a PITA i barely ever wore them)

maybe get a 1 piece or 2 piece suits for agressive rides where you know you wont be stopping and hanging out, but for most riding you will like having a pant you dont have to take off or change, and that isnt scorching hot

+1. I have a pair of Scorpion riding pants and they have zero ventilation, so even with the wind liner out they are incredibly hot and uncomfortable. Not to mention kind of a pain if I wanna get off the bike and walk around. Wish I would have just got some kevlar jeans instead :nono:

Now that I've looked into it I'm liking these pants that convert to shorts.

http://amzn.com/B003EJK87E

Anyone have an opinion on Tri-tex 600 material as far as slide resistance?

I have a similar pair by Olympia... they don't flow as much air as I would like but okay. The Olympia use codura instead. If you assumed those xelement are just standard 600 denier polyester with a flashier name you can see the info below from motorcycle.com. so probably a bit better than their 500 denier sample so better than jeans. If the stitching is poor then none of the info below means much.

Tear and Abrasion Strength by the numbers Pounds of force until fabric tears Abrasion cycles on pavement until fabric fails

CottonJeans 4.5 pounds to tear 50 cycles to failure

70 Denier Standard Nylon 4.5 pounds to tear 165 cycles to failure

500 Denier Polyester 8 pounds to tear 180 cycles to failure

200 Denier Standard Nylon 7.5 pounds to tear 275 cycles to failure

500 Denier Cordura 22 pounds to tear 710 cycles to failure

620 Denier Cordura 35 pounds to tear 1200 cycles to failure

NEW Competition Grade Leather 80-110 pounds to tear 1200-1700 cycles to failure

1000 Denier Cordura 110 pounds to tear 1780 cycles to failure

Air Mesh Kevlar 1260 pounds to tear 970 cycles to failure

Stretch Kevlar Blend 420lbs pounds to tear 1800 cycles

There is also this test from a while back:

Drag Test

"For the Drag Test, samples were stitched to a bag that held a 75-pound sandbag inside a milk crate, then dragged behind a pickup truck..."

New, 100% Cotton Denim Jeans ----------------------- 3' 10"

Senior Balistic Nylon ----------------------------------- 3' 10"

Leather, Lightweight, Nude Finish, 2.25 oz/sq. ft. --- 4' 3"

Leather, Fashion Weight, 1.75 oz/sq ft. ------------- 4' 4"

Two-year-old 100% Cotton Denim Jeans ------------ 4' 5"

Cordura Nylon Type 440 ----------------------------- 18' 3"

Kevlar 29 Aramid Fiber, Style 713 ------------------ 22' 1"

Leather, Competition Weight, 3 oz/sq. ft. -------- 86' 0"

Edited by mroach