Recommend me a riding gear shop

DirtDee675

Still kinda new to the neo area. I'm interested in a one piece suit and I was wondering who has the best selection. With this being my first race suit I would like to try it on in person as opposed to guessing based on size charts and possibly returning multiple times. Thanks for any suggestions.

Definitely pony if you wanna actually try on stuff. Once you know your sizing, stg, riders discount, and others are good places too. Not sure if shop dog cycles sells suits, but it's worth a try

Dude, the one thing that pisses me off more than anything is using a dealership that actually HAS inventory, has overhead to supply customers with accessibility to product and they use that dealership for simply a sizing room.

That's bullshit. I've been in this industry for a long time. If you are not willing to support local shops like Pony, then don't be bitching when time comes they are no longer there.

Rider's is cool and all, but keep a few things in mind:

1) Not having a point of purchase facility like Pony does is cheaper. What Pony does is VERY expensive. Employees, rent, the amount it costs to keep it running, etc. Warehouse and internet only companies are saving big bucks. Pony has what the internet companies have, but in stock under one roof. Amazing.

2) Prices. I get sick and tired of start up shops that come in and give shit away. Understand one simple truth... You can sell $1 million in parts and make 10% on everything. That's $100k. That ain't much. Pay for electricity, employees, shop tools, insurance, yourself, etc. By the end of it all, they aren;t making much and usually do not survive more than a few years.

3) Price part II. Save what? 10-20%? Take a $200 total. Save $20-$40. Have to wait at minimum 1-2 days and then install. Buy at a place locally and get it that same day. $20 more and you got it that same day, have it on and riding. No waiting. The prices you see online vs what you can buy locally isn't usually that big a difference and with MAP policies on current products by most companies now, you save really only on old product.

4) In this case - apparel. You can try it on, see how it fits, functions, get good input by employees, etc. That is worth something. If you save $40 on that $200 jacket and get it and find out it doesn't fit right, doesn't look like you thought, etc., you can return it and wait more...

Bottom line is this - dealerships are companies that need to step into the e-commerce age. I understand that part and most are. Also, companies are making it tougher and tougher to do blow out deals online vs a brick and mortar. Wait until you have to pay tax on everything no matter where you buy it. It's already happening and is going to be most likely common every time you order online...

Rant over. Unfortunately for you, not much up north, but that 2 hour drive to Pony is well worth it and if you spend some time, they have some killer closeout stuff...

Oh, and I am all for supporting the sponsors. I think if you have a local shop, you need to support them. The sponsors on here have local places and I suggest IF you go into their shops or locations or contact them if they do not have a location, you support them. Don't try shit on and go somewhere else...

That's what I am getting at.

You should just come down for our dyno day next weekend then go to iron pony on your way home.

actually this is a VERY good point, if time allows this was in my plan anyway. There is the times and route if you wanna take the back roads way down to CBUS with some of us. Weather dependent of course

Pony has a huge in stock selection of almost everything, but they dont carry alot of 1 piece suits.

They may have something that fits you though, although it may not be what your looking for.

I will have a few teknic suits at our booth at the dyno day event, as well as some jackets and what not. If you decide to make z trip down for it id be more than happy in helping you with fiitment. We will be doing some stellar pricing that day on all our items as well!

Don't try shit on and go somewhere else...

That's what I am getting at.

I think I did a poor job explaining what I was trying to accomplish in my first post. I would like to buy from a local shop that has things in stock as opposed to ordering things multiple times and trying to get sizing right that way. Thanks for all the response, made the choice on where to go easy.

Definitely pony if you wanna actually try on stuff. Once you know your sizing, stg, riders discount, and others are good places too. Not sure if shop dog cycles sells suits, but it's worth a try

This. Riders discount and/or stg. Whichever has the size and model you want. Both will get you insane pricing.

Did Thiels Wheels close up north? Never went there but heard it was a good place if it's still open and you don't have time to come to Columbus. Hoblick is a good guy and I'm sure will do everything he can to get a suit you want. +1 To IP being a wonderful resource in Ohio. I've bought tons there and have the t-shirts to prove it. :lol:

Hey hey hey, I said iron pony if you NEED to try on stuff (personally, I prefer not to have to drive 6 total hours to get a jacket if I know what size I am). And offered other places as other good options. Short of blatant price gouging, I am a fan of buying locally.

I have more "free" shirts from iron pony than I care to count. No need to turn this into something it's not... That said, Brian still makes valid points about the need to support local shops.

Did Thiels Wheels close up north? Never went there but heard it was a good place if it's still open and you don't have time to come to Columbus. Hoblick is a good guy and I'm sure will do everything he can to get a suit you want. +1 To IP being a wonderful resource in Ohio. I've bought tons there and have the t-shirts to prove it. :lol:

Thiel's is still around. They actually expanded down south also. but, as for 1 piece suits, they do not carry anything like that.

As far as what Pony has in stock, AStar, Dianese, Fieldsheer, Teknic, etc. Pretty decent IN STOCK.

However, if they do not have anything, I'd suggest STG. The reason being is that STG has some of the best customer service guys on the phone. They carry in stock everything I listed PLUS many other brands. If they send it, you try it on and it doesn't fit? Free returns...

But again, try local before you do anything...

Oh, and Jbot, the statement you made sounded like try it on at Pony and then buy from Riders, STG, etc. That was apparently not what you meant so, I apologize.

• 5 weeks later...
Iron Pony!!!!!!

+1

My wife and I drove 2 hours each way to the IP yesterday and came home with nearly $1k worth of stuff. Found a killer Tourmaster jacket that I probably would not have looked at online and got 2 pair of leather reinforced jeans half off. I prolly could have found the other stuff I bought a bit cheaper online but I like supporting the local stores and I usually have a hard time finding gear that fits me right (I don't have a moto gp frame) so it works out well for me. The store his huge so they have a great selection of sizes colors which is what sets them apart from most dealers. My local dealers carry very limited inventory and rarely items for guys my size (6'2" 280lbs).