Rider down in around Oxford OH

ScubaCinci

The lady that sits next to me at work said a motorcycle was behind her this am and they were going ~55mph. As she passed through an intersection (SR 177), a truck ran the stop sign and t-boned the motorcycle behind her :wtf: She stopped but was too freaked out to go back and there were a number of vehicles stopped already. I'm not sure what the outcome was (likely not good the way it was described). Hopefully not a loved on of anyone here.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE

That sucks.

I wonder where on 177? Most of the intersections that go to 177 are just 3 way intersections before you get to 73 (headed north from Hamilton). Then afterwards there is a few bad intersections (Somerville and 177). They just redid that intersection last summer to make it safer too @ 177 and 73.

Haven't heard from any of my friends in that area hope all is well for the rider involved. Did she have any idea what kinda of bike it was?

She wouldn't know if it was sitting in front of her :facepalm:

That sucks.

I wonder where on 177? Most of the intersections that go to 177 are just 3 way intersections before you get to 73 (headed north from Hamilton). Then afterwards there is a few bad intersections (Somerville and 177). They just redid that intersection last summer to make it safer too @ 177 and 73.

I can ask her when she gets back to her desk. I haven't see anything on the news sites yet.

Here is the news story. Apparently, "he was a helmet" :confused:

http://www.wlwt.com/news/30992444/detail.html

MILFORD TOWNSHIP, Ohio -- A man was injured in a crash in Milford Township on Wednesday morning.Deputies and emergency rescue personnel were dispatched to the intersection of US Route 177 and Harris Road in Milford Township at about 7 a.m. for a crash involving a motorcycle and a pickup truck.Preliminary reports indicate that Donald Herbst, 25, of Camden, was southbound on US 177 operating a 2008 Harley Davidson motorcycle when a pickup truck driven by Andrew Hensley, 17, of Milford Township, entered onto US 177 from Harris Road, striking the motorcycle.Herbst, who was a helmet at the time of the crash, was transported by Air Care to University Hospital in Cincinnati with serious injuries. Hensley did not require transport for any injuries.No charges have been filed yet. The crash remains under investigation.

Here is the news story. Apparently, "he was a helmet" :confused:

http://www.wlwt.com/news/30992444/detail.html

Blue-sky: Don't take any of these as serious suggestions, just the product of a frustrated mind that is sick of hearing of riders maimed by drivers who suffer little or no consequences...

Idea 1:

New law. If a cager causes an innocent biker to get seriously injured then those injuries should be duplicated on cager. Biker loses a leg? Amputate the cager's leg. :mad: Rider dies? Dust off ol' sparky. How many cagers would act like a pr*ck aorund bikers if they knew THEIR safety was on the line too.

Of course realistically this would unconstitutional (Cruel and unusual) and would result in a massive increase in hit-skip accidents where the cager is too scared of the the punishment to stay and help the injured bikers.

Idea 2:

New law: All new cars get accident-avoidance tech (Volvos already have rear-end accident avoidance - add stop-sign-running-avoidance, lane-change-accident-avoidance, red-light-running-avoidance, left-turn-accident-avoidance...) Every time the safety feature kicks in it reports back to the police and driver gets a ticket in the mail. How many cagers would have near-misses if EVERY near miss was ticketed whether it was seen by a police officer or not.

Idea 3:

You have to ride a motorcycle for a year before you qualify for a car license.

Edited by Scruit

I always thought that to get a drivers license you should have to take the MSF class. They already have to take classes in some states. It would certainly raise awareness.

Funny. That's something I've said numerous times. I think to get a license you need to be able to drive everything except commercial vehicles. This way people know what it's like from all perspectives.

• Upvote 1

:nono:

It turns out, the kid driving the truck goes to school with the lady I work with who originally told me about the accident. Her duaghter said he still showed up for school that day and was he was described as a "degnerate". I don't know the kid so I can't say but sad to hear the guy passed.

If running the stop sign is the only thing he did (ie not drunk, speeding, suspended) then he's probably looking at vehicular manslaughter, M2, depending on his other record.

RIP Rider. That's how quick it can all go to crap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

An update on this one...slap on the wrist

http://www.journal-news.com/news/crime/butler-teen-will-be-under-house-arrest-1396419.html

The Butler County teen accused of vehicular homicide will not be going to the adult jail next week when he turns 18 years old.

Butler County Juvenile Court Judge Kathleen Romans on Monday ordered house arrest and a GPS monitor — at his family’s expense — for Andrew Hensley. The 17-year-old has been housed in the Juvenile Detention Center since his arrest in May. He will turn 18 on July 7 and will then no longer be eligible to be housed in the juvenile detention system.

He was charged May 14 with vehicular homicide, failure to yield from a stop sign, and driving under suspension in a crash that killed Donald Herbst, 25 of Camden.

Likely nothing will come of it. A guy at work had his brother killed 5 years back by a drunk running a red light. The guy was convicted and sentenced to 6 months in jail, community service, AA meetings and to pay the family a rather large sum of money. As of this day, as far as they know, the only thing the offender has done is the community service and AA meetings. No time served, not a dime paid to the family. That's fucked up and seems to be happening a lot.