Looking for entry level IT work

JStump

NO NO NO!!!!11!!1

Mac is not Unix!!!!11!!

Steve "second coming of Jesus Christ" Jobs wrote OS/X all by himself, every single line of code.

He DID NOT simply take a kernel from one place, toss in some farkles from *BSD and throw an ugly purple theme on it...

Ya know, I shouldn't be all mean and snarky like that.

Pointing out someone's shortcomings does not make me or you a better person - it is only hurtful.

I'm sorry.

Just an f.y.i., Redhat IS Linux. Linux is an operating system.

Analogy: A Chevy is a car. Well, unless it's a truck or a comedian, but I digress. So you basically said "I drive a Chevy and I drive a car."

I prefer #! (Crunchbang) myself. Fork of Debian, uses Openbox as the window manager. But you knew that already, no?

Yes, but redhat is not the only version of Linux, im not familiar with all the versions of Linux though and what the major differences are. I guess I should have worded it better, so ill give that to you.

Ive never used UNIX, but im sure it would be easy to pick up considering Linux is more/less just a free kernel of UNIX :dunno: I never finished my degree so I didnt get that far.

imho, the only differences between distros (distributions of Linux, e.g. Ubuntu, Fedora, SuSE, Slack, Yellowdog) are what package manager and what window manager are there by default. Every/anything else is simple to change.

Ok, there are a lot of differences.

What I should have said was the only two things worth looking at when choosing a distro are...

Oh, and Redhat is now aimed at corporations. The "user" version is called Fedora (a hat, get it? Those wacky Linux nerds.) Except Fedora didn't come from Redhat, it was a project all its own.

Nevermind. More than you probably cared to know.

NO NO NO!!!!11!!1

Mac is not Unix!!!!11!!

Steve "second coming of Jesus Christ" Jobs wrote OS/X all by himself, every single line of code.

He DID NOT simply take a kernel from one place, toss in some farkles from *BSD and throw an ugly purple theme on it...

My understanding was Apple borrowed heavily (like a shit-ton) from FreeBSD to make Cocoa. But what do I know, I'm just the Cisco plumber...

@cheech so your saying im wrong about windows server 7? am I also wrong about why he should be paid more if he feels he isnt being paid enough? Whats that, no im not wrong? Thanks, I didnt think so either.

I think he saying your wrong I'm general and to ignore any advice you may give in this thread. If that isn't what he means it would be my suggestion to thr OP!

• Upvote 2

IT is one thing I do know, im not saying I know it all, but I have a fair amount of knowledge. Most of it is outdated though, but its just a hobby, nothing serious. I mostly do virus removals, computer building, and trouble shooting for friends and family. I also know redhat, DOS, and some Linux.

I may not take my own advice, but its not like I gave him bad advice. Im not saying it was right of me to explode on my boss either, because it wasn't. But I wouldn't give someone poor advice.just to screw with them.

stumpalumpagus wasn't talking about building a sick computer for playing Everquest, or trying to make it in the "removing popups for Dad" market. You have no real-world experience in these matters, and even worse, the experience you do have unanimously points to the wrong conclusion.

In short, shut the fuck up.

I think he saying your wrong I'm general and to ignore any advice you may give in this thread. If that isn't what he means it would be my suggestion to thr OP!

fuck me sideways, we agree on something.

I suddenly feel the need to buy some guns, preferably for a SHTF situation. The more tactical, the better. ;)

• Upvote 1

stumpalumpagus wasn't talking about building a sick computer for playing Everquest.

Don't think you need much of a machine for EQ anymore, now SWTOR you may need a better box...totally irrelevant for OP :)

fuck me sideways, we agree on something.

I suddenly feel the need to buy some guns, preferably for a SHTF situation. The more tactical, the better. ;)

Dont go that far or we might have a SHTF scenario. Us agreeing might cause the north and south pole to switch. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Don't think you need much of a machine for EQ anymore, now SWTOR you may need a better box...totally irrelevant for OP :)

He said his knowledge was dated, I was merely trying to relate.

:plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1:

Not sure what that has to do with this thread, but ok :confused:

And I didnt realize personal opinions could be wrong :dunno: I guess everyone agrees on everything 100% of the time :dunno:

stumpalumpagus wasn't talking about building a sick computer for playing Everquest, or trying to make it in the "removing popups for Dad" market. You have no real-world experience in these matters, and even worse, the experience you do have unanimously points to the wrong conclusion.

In short, shut the fuck up.

Hmm, nothing was wrong so :dunno:

He said his knowledge was dated, I was merely trying to relate.

I meant with the older programs that no one uses, so no point in mentioning it.

opinions aren't completely wrong but logic can be and yours is extremely flawed in most cases. I have no idea in this case as I leave IT to nerds while I have fun doing other shit :p

Just checked our job board (SW General Hospital); there's a night shift 1/2 time help desk opening, nothing FT though. Not sure if the hospital IT environment would interest you, but you may want to shoot an app to Elyria, St Johns, etc.

I work on the clinical appilcations side which is far less techy (basically try to work with start content to make them work with our facility, demonstrate how processes that worked well in 1964 aren't so good any more, and talk Drs/RNs down from destroying hardware when the system doesn't work how they want :) ).

Follow Blosser's internal networking advice!! I've seen a few support guys promoted once they showed that they were interested, got involved, and met requirements. I've also seen one who had a 4year and certs, but acted like a tard, whined about being overqualified, treated clinical apps analysts and end users like crap, etc. get passed over repeatedly for promotions.

Since you say the boss is normally OK, why not ask him for 15 minutes?

Tell him you really wanted the position, you're disappointed, ask what made him choose the other fella instead of you, and what can you (I) do to have a better chance of getting that job the next time it or something like it becomes available?

This way you're showing him your desire to advance, and you're feeding his ego some by asking his advice.

If you don't ask you won't know.

This, naturally, should be done in a positive "hey, help me understand what I can do to go forward and thus help the company" manner, not "ZOMFG I SHOULD HAVE THAT JOB THE DIPSHIT YOU HIRED IS BASICALLY ME!!!!11!!"

btw, if boss man hasn't announced the hiring, you might want to hold off asking questions since you were eavesdropping.

Yeah, I am gonna wait until he announces it before I bring it up.

Google a company called TeamWork. They allow you to work from home an are based in Toledo. I had a couple friends working there but who've recently left for bigger paychecks now that they have the experience On their resume. 3 people left their group in the last month and haven't been replaced yet

I will look into that, thanks!

Aside from another "Exarch is king of all and knows everythin!!1111" argument, OP, I have been where you are. I interned with the same company three times before being hired on, and I didn't even get hired into the team I was working with. I was very clear with my boss, my manager, and my director that I was looking to get hired. I had higher performance numbers than every other person on my team, but still didn't get hired. I waited it out and continued to work my butt off. When a job opening got posted on my team they hired on a contractor that had only been there two months (I was going on two years). I was extremely frustrated, but didn't allow it to affect my work. Eventually a job opening got posted on another team that was far better than the position I had been hoping for. I am really glad I was patient and continued to work hard. I completely understand your frustration and I know the feeling. Keep your chin up.

This is it exactly! I do not let stuff like this effect my work. I let it be known 2 months in that I am looking for a full time position, everyone on the team knew and one of the guys even put in a recommendation without me asking for it. I am looking at other internal positions as well though. Had an interview for the Corporate Oracle Financial team last week, still waiting to hear back on that. Also got a call from Progressive Thursday saying they liked my Resume and I should be hearing from them next week to set up an interview.

The Ohio Gov't is hiring:

Link

If only that were closer to me because that describes what I do now perfectly!

Edited by JStump

Set on the NEO area? Personally being younger and able to move around is a great thing. Visit and see new things.

Wyle has the contract to all government IT positions. Be worth looking into.

http://careers.wyle.com/Careers.aspx

For now yes, I am still getting interviews here so until this area dries up I would prefer not to move. I have 8 months left in an apartment lease so thats at least 8 months away before I will consider it.

I ended up not getting the Oracle position I interviewed for because they wanted someone with a more financial background since it was dealing with the AP, AR and GL modules.

Right now I have an interview for a different Oracle position at Sherwin on Monday and an interview for a systems admin position at Progressive on Wednesday.

Edited by JStump

Sherwin Williams is awesome to work for from the couple friends I've had there. I tried to get in but they had nothing available in the areas I wanted

Talk to Likwid about Progressive. He worked in their IT for a few years, not sure what exactly though

I am looking for an entry level IT job. Has to be full time or contract to hire and in the Cleveland/NEO area.

Hyland Software in Westlake is looking for people right now. I don't know anyone there but they are a growing happening company.