Looking for entry level IT work

JStump

come down to columbus area. Loads of contract gigs I keep passing up so I can get a full time gig with insurance for the fam. Just got hired on to Ohio Health for IT related shit. About time this damn Masters is paying off.....the degree not the loan.

• 2 weeks later...

So the new guy started last week and after a week of sizing this guy up and figuring out he got the job because he is related to someone, I finally got irritated enough to confront my boss(in a nice way, not an Exarch way) as to why I was passed up on the position just to see what he would say. He told me it was because this kid had a associates degree when he graduated high school which made his resume look really good and he just really knew what he wanted to do with his life at an early age. What kind of excuse is that?!?! Who gives a shit about what "looks good" on a resume when I have been working for you for 9 months and have ACTUAL work experience in the position and have proven my worth to the team. Why take the risk hiring a new person when you know I can perform the job, and can do it well. He must not have imagined I would confront him on the issue and just pulled that excuse out his ass to cover up the fact he is an ass. Yes I know politics is the name of the game in the real world, its just irritating given the situation and the fact I could have doubled my salary by getting that job.

On a good note, I had an interview with Hyland on Tuesday for a technical support analyst position and feel really good about it. Also had a phone interview for a sys admin position at Parts Associates. Hoping this mass interview tactic will result in something because I just want to punch my boss in the face whenever I see him.

Edited by JStump

Looks to me like your boss is a) not very technical and b) easily swayed by bullshit. Sounds like if you still want to get ahead in that company it's time for a change of tack, drop the passive approach and just start baffling him with bullshit. If you can muster the confidence to back it up, according to this he should fold over pretty quickly.

Looks to me like your boss is a) not very technical and b) easily swayed by bullshit. Sounds like if you still want to get ahead in that company it's time for a change of tack, drop the passive approach and just start baffling him with bullshit. If you can muster the confidence to back it up, according to this he should fold over pretty quickly.

Actually its the exact opposite. He is a very smart guy when it comes to IT but he likes to be in control. He does not like to take others opinions when working on projects and it is usually his way or the highway. I feel like he wanted to be in control of hiring someone because this is the first time he has hired a full time non intern and I would have been the easy and obvious choice. I am basing this on the fact 3 out of the 5 other people on my team recommended that he hire me without me even asking them to do so and I am sure the other 2 would have if I would have asked. But by them doing this it may have back fired because he did not feel like the decision was his anymore.

Edited by JStump

And to top off the whole situation, I am rebuilding 8 servers today that the new guy screwed up last week AND we just now had 30 production virtual servers go offline for half an hour because the kid did not migrate them in vcenter properly. There goes our 99.999% production up time. My boss is going to be thrilled about that one :D it will take everything in me not to laugh at this when it is brought up in our weekly meeting on Monday.

Edited by JStump

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, what kind of salary are you looking at? You need to come to Columbus... I'm about as entry level as you can get when it comes to IT, skillwise, and I started at 60k a year doing far less than what you do. There are IT jobs galore down here.

Wow, what kind of salary are you looking at? You need to come to Columbus... I'm about as entry level as you can get when it comes to IT, skillwise, and I started at 60k a year doing far less than what you do. There are IT jobs galore down here.

I want to know what a entry-entry level IT position pays 60K a year...

Well I just got a job at Hyland software in Westlake, they are basically like a mini Google with slides in the lobby, a masseuse comes in every week, on site free dining etc. but anyway, it is a technical support position for their flagship application OnBase. Starting is $40k and there is always overtime if you want it so I will probably end up at $50k with OT which I am very happy about at the moment. I have never heard of an entry level job being $60k+.

Well I just got a job at Hyland software in Westlake, they are basically like a mini Google with slides in the lobby, a masseuse comes in every week, on site free dining etc. but anyway, it is a technical support position for their flagship application OnBase. Starting is $40k and there is always overtime if you want it so I will probably end up at $50k with OT which I am very happy about at the moment. I have never heard of an entry level job being $60k+.

Awesome work man!

That "entry level" job is 60K due to the fact that a security clearance is required, and there aren't many people that hold one.

Well I just got a job at Hyland software in Westlake...but anyway, it is a technical support position for their flagship application OnBase...

One of our divisions uses OnBase. Good niche program, never had to call support since it never broke.

Awesome work man!

That "entry level" job is 60K due to the fact that a security clearance is required, and there aren't many people that hold one.

Thanks!

And from what I heard when my buddy got his clearance I would be fucked. They asked him all the specific dates he had ever done illegal drugs as well as what torrents and illegal files he had downloaded and when. I don't what else they ask and I don't know if they can use this to prosecute you or just deny you clearance but either way its more than just a couple of times for both those things lol.

HA! I have a friend/ex-coworker that's a software developer at Hyland, Kyle McKee! You should look him up and go see him. When you do, tell him KC said "Hey!"

Cover your nuts when you do though. Kyle might have some bad flashbacks to our former company and just reflexively kick you in the junk. We all have some PTSD from there.

Cover your nuts when you do though. Kyle might have some bad flashbacks to our former company and just reflexively kick you in the junk. We all have some PTSD from there.

Haha where was that?

Haha, they never asked me those kinds of questions... Of course, through the military, I have had a Secret clearance for a long time now, so that may have played into it.

Got a link to any posted openings? How does one get top secret clearance outside of joining the military?

How does one get top secret clearance outside of joining the military?

Your employer has to sponsor you or request you get one. And they have to pay for it. It is thousands of dollars. And a 'top secret' is quite a process. The FBI will visit your friends, family, co-workers, High School, old jobs. I really wish my kid would have warned me. It was quite discerning to open the door one day and there was a suit standing there saying 'I am from the FBI and I need to talk to you about your son.'

But not half as bad as his old buddie that opened the door stoned out of his mind to find the FBI there......

Your employer has to sponsor you or request you get one. And they have to pay for it. It is thousands of dollars. And a 'top secret' is quite a process. The FBI will visit your friends, family, co-workers, High School, old jobs. I really wish my kid would have warned me. It was quite discerning to open the door one day and there was a suit standing there saying 'I am from the FBI and I need to talk to you about your son.'

But not half as bad as his old buddie that opened the door stoned out of his mind to find the FBI there......

This is exactly why employers will pay a higher salary if you already have a clearance.

-VanDy

Scuba, try this:

http://www.newberrygroup.com/Job-Opportunities.aspx?page=view

Then find the Systems Administrator job in Columbus, Oh. They will probably start at 45-50k with no clearance, since they will have to sponsor you and whatnot. Once you get that TS clearance, though, many many doors will open for further advancement.