Need help with integrated tail light resistors

TheN8

Alright, I installed an integrated LED tail light/turn signal assembly into my 2001 Ducati Monster. My dumbass threw out the stock wiring harness with the resistors and what not...well i bought a pair of 5 watt 2.7 ohm resistors today, I tried one out in a temporary install; it slowed the blink rate to normal, but it got HOT!!! I tried wrapping it in electrical tape and let it blink as if i were at a light or something long, the tape melted and started smoking! Can someone tell me what the proper resistor type should be for this application?

That is the proper one and they do get hot, thats how they work. Several companies make relays that slow the flash rate down and that is a far better option. Most are plug and play so no cutting up your harness and they do it without the heat. That is what I use on mine.

well how can I use these resistors if they get that hot?! this stuff is packed between my seat and lower plastic fender or whatever, I'm afraid it'll melt thru or catch my ass on fire! lol...can you give me a link to a decently priced relay or whatever (last one i saw was $70!)

well how can I use these resistors if they get that hot?! this stuff is packed between my seat and lower plastic fender or whatever, I'm afraid it'll melt thru or catch my ass on fire! lol...can you give me a link to a decently priced relay or whatever (last one i saw was $70!)

http://www.customled.com/products/flasher_relay/flasher_relay.htm?gclid=CKu3rvW35a8CFQgDQAodrlh31w

I put this on my bike and it works great, although I had to cut off the connector on the relay and use some disconnecting pairs to hook it up.

Less than $20 bucks, dunno where u got $70 from, sounds like someone tried to rip you off :)

ha, no one gave me that link, it was one i saw on another message board

It will prob be like $26 after shipping and like $2 for a big ass box of disconnecting pairs(smallest gauge u can find, I think mines 22 gauge) you shouldnt need wire strippers if your carful, I just used the blade on my needle nose to cut and strip the wires and then used the needle nose to crimp the wires to the disconnecting pairs. Then attach.the pairs to your connector, it should be a snug fit, but I would still tape them up for good measures.

20120423_140941.jpg

Heres.what they look like if your not sure what im talkin about.

i've already completed all the wiring and what not, the resistors seem like the easiest fix to how i have this done and where all the wiring has to go etc... is there something i can do with them or...damn I don't know...

I know all about splicing and connectors lol, I'm just not on the up and up with motorcycle electrical systems and LED blinker impedance requirements lol