My turn to eat some pavement.

swingset

People get ticketed for "Failure to control" when the say "I swerved to avoid a..." because people lie about it all the time to cover up an accident caused by them stunting.

You *should* not get a ticket (and would have a string case to fight it if you did) IF there is evidence that the deer/dog/car/ufo.

Deer accident reports will always say if there is evidence of the deer. Hair, blood, corpse, etc. If there is an independent witness then that would work too.

The big difference is that your insurance (if you claim on it) will blame *you* for the accident and it will be filed under your collision coverage. With a dog/owner the insurance will have someone to go after and the accident will be filed under your uninsured motorist coverage.

Edited by Scruit

If I was to guess you may have been in the Peoli to Sally's hilltop store area, between those two points there is a couple amish families with packs of dogs.

Not saying there isn't more than that but my cousin lives in that area and has trouble with dogs coming over on his place and chasing his horses.

I was carrying today, and it did cross my mind looking at the ragged ass dog that I swerved to avoid.

I'd much rather shoot their owners...dogs can't help their instincts, but hilljacks can keep their mutts fenced or leashed.

Ok paintball hilljacks! It will make you feel better.:)

Glad you are ok! Didn't somebody else here have a situation with a dog? Can the owner be held responsible?

First off im glad your okay. And i was the other dog incident about a month ago. I knew where the dog came from and yes the home owners insurance cut the checks to get my bike fixed. I didnt do a police report eithe,r but the home owner admitted on the phone to my insurance that a dog did indeed cmoe out of their yard in from of me, so my insurance said not to bother with a poice report. Hope it all works out for you

Damn! Looks like loose dogs are becoming as big of a problem as deer.

Feral ex-pets are vermin. It should be open season on them all the time.

Detty will kill anything but a Pabst Blue Ribbon.

That just ain't American!

Glad you are ok! Did you beat a moths fukin dogs azz?

I'm a dog lover but shit man. People need to learn to keep them up or on chains if they are going to do shit like this.

I definitely wanted to put my foot up someone's ass for it, but shit happens...could have been a deer or a coyote.

I'm thankful I got to ride away without any harm. My shoulder is sore as fuck today, which I anticipated, but it's not seriously hurt.

Posted some pics in the OP. Doesn't look so bad, for as hard as I hit, but the bulk of the crap was the engine guards and rear rack getting mangled - they took the brunt of the damage, which I suppose is better than the frame and engine.

one small impact area on the helmet.

Do you plan on getting a new helmet? I hear alot of people say it's best to buy a new helmet if it gets damaged during a wreck, even if it looks fine physically. I don't know how true that is or what the effects would be if it was to be involved in another wreck(still has to be 10000x safer than no helmet at all :dunno: ) but better safe than sorry.

It's up to the responding officer, in most cases. A statey wrote my friend, and I've heard they're notorious for doing so. Since I was on a state route, I thought better of tempting fate.

I know people who have crashed and nothing was said.

You had witnesses in this case though that can vouch you did everything within your powers to avoid a wreck, not your fault the dog PHYSICALLY ran into the side of your bike.

Edited by Exarch

I definitely wanted to put my foot up someone's ass for it, but shit happens...could have been a deer or a coyote.

I'm thankful I got to ride away without any harm. My shoulder is sore as fuck today, which I anticipated, but it's not seriously hurt.

Posted some pics in the OP. Doesn't look so bad, for as hard as I hit, but the bulk of the crap was the engine guards and rear rack getting mangled - they took the brunt of the damage, which I suppose is better than the frame and engine.

Glad to hear you are mostly OK.

Damage on the bike doesnt look too bad either. Road rash just gives the bike character. I've got some scratches on mine from trying to follow you and a bunch of other nuts down some dirt "roads" last summer. :D

Hope everything heals quickly and repairs are quick and easy.

Craig

Do you plan on getting a new helmet? I hear alot of people say it's best to buy a new helmet if it gets damaged during a wreck, even if it looks fine physically. I don't know how true that is or what the effects would be if it was to be involved in another wreck(still has to be 10000x safer than no helmet at all :dunno: ) but better safe than sorry.

Yeah, the lining foam compresses during an accident, the outer shell bounces back out but the protection is compromised. A strong hit with your head inside is reason to retire it. I've got another Caberg as backup, so this one is done for.

Glad to hear you are mostly OK.

Damage on the bike doesnt look too bad either. Road rash just gives the bike character. I've got some scratches on mine from trying to follow you and a bunch of other nuts down some dirt "roads" last summer. :D

Hope everything heals quickly and repairs are quick and easy.

Craig

The worst damage is the engine guards, rear rack and pannier are all a total loss. Pictures don't do them justice. The Motech crash bars are caved in, broken welds, the rear-rack broke in two places and the pannier won't close up once opened the weather seam/lip is contorted. They did their job protecting the bike, tho.

It'll be road-worthy with not much effort, and I'll start piecing the accessories back as I can. The scratches and scuffs are nothing, "adventure marks" I like to call them.

Edited by swingset