1st BAD Open Carry experience

crb

I have no problem with people using their "professional disgression" when it comes to the safety of others. For whatever reason the worker was uncomfortable. She got her manager, who agreed, and you complied with their wishes. I think it goes back to an inheritant distrust people have of one another these days.

Rep to you for handing the situation in a mature manner.

I carry, I don't open carry. No reason for it unless you are an attention whore.... IMHO

I agree that Open Carry draws unwanted attention to you, and it lets the bad guys know exactly who to target first as a potential resistor. Especially if you already have your license it is too easy to just tuck the shirt over the weapon. I don't want people knowing I have a weapon, save a minor print, unless it is drawn in defense of myself or another.

I also don't think the average person will know what your carry weapon is chambered in vs. what you are buying.

This thread furthers my view. Yes it's your right. But it does cause problems and makes gun owners look bad, period.

I disagree that it makes gun owners look bad however. The OP was 100% within his legal rights to carry openly as long as Wal-Mart did not have a sign posted.

As much as I hate to, stuff such as this (returning the call right away) makes me almost like them.

It would be nice if they were to tell him that gun toting customers would be added to their training program, but the punishment is between walmart and the manager.

No, I still don't like them or their reaction. If the employee got scared and called his boss that's fine. But the boss not knowing the rules is not cool. A phone call from the district manager is about the absolute least they could have done.

Approx 5 minutes later a female assistant manager and another male associate approached me. They asked to have a word with me so I walked over to them. The female assistant manager whose name I did get asked me if I had a permit for my firearm. I once again politely explained that I do have a permit, but I was open carrying per my constitutional right and no permit was necessary. I explained that if there was a problem I would leave my cart except for the ammo I paid for and leave. She told me that would be best. As I was walking down the main isle towards the door she apologized if she appeared aggressive while talking to me. She told me it was Walmart's policy during the 1st conversation. I told her I would contact corporate and discuss the matter with them.

I knew that would be the answer since most anywhere ammo is not returnable.

I do applaud you for handling this well. I would have argued until they let me return the ammo. I also would refuse to shop there again until the manager was fired. But I'm a vindictive asshole.

Situation could have been avoided by concealing, but that is your choice and you were legal in choosing it. None the less, shitty situation, and sorry that happened to you.

Edited by BDBGoalie

What is so different from the two, besides the obvious? I'm just curious. I've never considered it because it's not usually seen too much in Akron.

I find it more comfortable, easier to draw, I believe it does work as a deterrent rather than making me a first target. Most criminals want an easy job, first sign of resistance will make them reconsider. And it helps people get over the stigma that guns are bad. Criminals hide their guns, he's not going to walk with it in plain view.

• Upvote 1

I find it more comfortable, easier to draw, I believe it does work as a deterrent rather than making me a first target. Most criminals want an easy job, first sign of resistance will make them reconsider. And it helps people get over the stigma that guns are bad. Criminals hide their guns, he's not going to walk with it in plain view.

All are valid points for benefits of open carry.

At the same time, a criminal immediately knows you are armed, and they need to disarm or kill you first. You just make yourself a target. And the masses are stupid and easily scared.

All are valid points for benefits of open carry.

At the same time, a criminal immediately knows you are armed, and they need to disarm or kill you first. You just make yourself a target. And the masses are stupid and easily scared.

By concealing didn't you just make yourself an easy target? If he draws on you and says give me your wife's jewelry, think you can draw and fire before he fires? Most criminals want an easy score, resistance scares them away. Granted there are those that just want to kill everyone.

I will admit both have pros and cons but I truly think what most perceive as cons with OC. Really aren't. Most that are against OC have never had any first hand experience with it.

I'm not saying OC is for everyone or that you have to. To each their own.

By concealing didn't you just make yourself an easy target? If he draws on you and says give me your wife's jewelry, think you can draw and fire before he fires? Most criminals want an easy score, resistance scares them away. Granted there are those that just want to kill everyone.

I will admit both have pros and cons but I truly think what most perceive as cons with OC. Really aren't. Most that are against OC have never had any first hand experience with it.

I'm not saying OC is for everyone or that you have to. To each their own.

All good points. However if the criminal draws before you notice and react, your SA is lacking. Course this is coming from someone that views the world as a battlefield.

All good points. However if the criminal draws before you notice and react, your SA is lacking. Course this is coming from someone that views the world as a battlefield.

I'm well aware of my surroundings. No I can't see everything all the time but I try.:)

If he draws before I can react and draw my next choice is to attempt to disarm him. But if a criminal was going to choose between me and you, do you think he'd try to out gun me or hold you at gun point because you present no visual threat?

I'm well aware of my surroundings. No I can't see everything all the time but I try.:)

If he draws before I can react and draw my next choice is to attempt to disarm him. But if a criminal was going to choose between me and you, do you think he'd try to out gun me or hold you at gun point because you present no visual threat?

Well go to CIF and get your extra eyes. Geeez.

Yea, a crappy situation. I try to never allow unknowns to get within a 10ft bubble before facing and addressing them.

Yes, the criminal would choose me over you when you are Open Carrying and I am concealed. That also means they won't always draw initially as well and just bank on intimidation.

But this could go on and on with hypothetical. Both methods have their ups and downs and each will choose what works best for them. (But my way is still better. :D)

Well go to CIF and get your extra eyes. Geeez.

Yea, a crappy situation. I try to never allow unknowns to get within a 10ft bubble before facing and addressing them.

Yes, the criminal would choose me over you when you are Open Carrying and I am concealed. That also means they won't always draw initially as well and just bank on intimidation.

But this could go on and on with hypothetical. Both methods have their ups and downs and each will choose what works best for them. (But my way is still better. :D)

Lol CIF, I'll get right on that.

And yes we could go back and forth but you opinion is wrong. With all due respect. :D

Well, I for one wouldn't be worried at all about someone walking around with a gun in a holster, like stated earlier criminals hide their guns usually tucked in pants,pocket,hoodie..etc... i've been held at gun point before when my friend was robbed and the gun came from a pocket not a holster.

• Upvote 1

No, I still don't like them or their reaction. If the employee got scared and called his boss that's fine. But the boss not knowing the rules is not cool. A phone call from the district manager is about the absolute least they could have done.

I don't LIKE their reaction, but it very unrealistic to expect everyone to know all of the firearm laws, especially when talking about people working in a retail establishment that has few requirements for employment. The high school kid ringing your purchase out should know the gun laws?

Edited - Not worth commenting on other than I think it was a very stand up act for Walmart to call you so soon and apologize. That shows very good customer service and follow-through.

What the hell is this "Customer Service" ever keeps talking about. Everytime I go to krogers all the people working there are kids talking about how billy loves jill and what they are going to wear to the bonfire and oh i got my first period.... Blah Blah Blah STFU and bag my groceries.

What the hell is this "Customer Service" ever keeps talking about. Everytime I go to krogers all the people working there are kids talking about how billy loves jill and what they are going to wear to the bonfire and oh i got my first period.... Blah Blah Blah STFU and bag my groceries.

There are NO kids named "Billy" or "Jill" working at my local Kroger. I guarantee this.

To the OP..... no disrespect, but I have a theory that those who open carry anticipate this scenario, if not hope for it. It's a political statement. No different than those who would wear profanity on their T-shirt to push 1A limits. That being said, we need people on the far ends in order to move the middle a little to the right. I've used the tug-of-war analogy before. You put your strength in the anchor position to move the flag a few inches in your direction.

I carry, I don't open carry. No reason for it unless you are an attention whore.... IMHO

This thread furthers my view. Yes it's your right. But it does cause problems and makes gun owners look bad, period.

I totally agree. I have read some very long winded debates over open carrying and what it says to others. Constitutional right or not sometimes you have to also use common sense.