Sudden intake problem?

TheN8

Ok, so on my 2001 Monster 600, I performed an air box modification; basically just cutting a large hole in the top cover for less restrictive airflow. However, after doing that, I have now noticed that when I pull the throttle wide open it doesn't really do faster and in fact seems to slow down or sputter, but if I back off the throttle a bit it will speed up just fine (albeit slowly). It did not do anything like this prior to the air box mod. Could this be because it still has the stock slip-ons causing a bottleneck at the outlet from the increased intake flow? Any ideas?

Best guess is now has more air. Now needs more fuel.

It isn't noticed till high RPMs where the fuel delivery is maxing out.

Now needs that Power Commander to re-map the fuel delivery.

(Unless it's old school carbs, then re-jet up one.)

Although the symptom is about the same for poor spark at high RPMs.

Changing pipes would probably just need more fuel also.

Well this one is carb'd so no electronic mapping etc. I would just need a jet kit but thats a pricey install and I'm not sure I'm really up for the challenge of a self install on that yet!

It's a very common performance mod on Ducati Monsters, I hadn't seen any mention though by any of the forums I read it in about additional mods necessary or issues resulting thereof.

Well I did put a K&N OEM replacement in there a while ago and it did do wonders for it! So I figured eventually I would tryout this open air box lid mod...

Where are you located? I can point you to an expert in cinci to get you taken care of!

-VanDy

Ha, I live in Mississippi now lol. Nearest Ducati guys are about 4 hours away in Nashville... You'd be surprised how little anyone near me knows about anything other than Honda, Yamaha, and HD!

Seems like if I even mention the word Ducati to the places around here, if they aren't dumbfounded right away, I swear they tell me a higher price for shit! I've done as much R&D on this bike as i can and have repair manuals for it, I'm trying to do as much on it myself as possible.

More air, needs more fuel

More fuel and air, needs more exhaust

A motor is just a pump, more inlet needs more outlet.

Mod the pump you need more in and out.

You did no motor work therefore should be no need to cut a gaping hole in the airbox to give a stock motor more fuel. Retarded.

I'm sure Pauly will be around shortly to ridicule further

Its not that retarded, damn! If you ever see how choked out the intake is on one of these, the mod is perfectly reasonable! I've read so many message boards and threads about this!

In fact, an open air box lid is available thru Ducati Performance for nearly ALL their bikes! And there are no instructions/needs (supposedly) for installing this!

In fact, an open air box lid is available thru Ducati Performance for nearly ALL their bikes! And there are no instructions/needs (supposedly) for installing this!

Yep my SSie has the airbox mod, but a PCII to even everything out with the slip on's. Pretty common...

-VanDy

Its not that retarded, damn! If you ever see how choked out the intake is on one of these, the mod is perfectly reasonable! I've read so many message boards and threads about this!

What might surprise you is the amount of design and engineering that goes into the airbox to get the proper velocity to make the best power and driveability. It's not always a volume thing!

Well this one is carb'd so no electronic mapping etc. I would just need a jet kit but thats a pricey install and I'm not sure I'm really up for the challenge of a self install on that yet!

Pricey? How hard is it to rejet your carb on the Ducati? I guess I don't know the bike that well, but rejetting is usually pretty cheap, easy, and totally DIY. What 15-20 bucks for jets after shipping at most?

Am I wrong?

What might surprise you is the amount of design and engineering that goes into the airbox to get the proper velocity to make the best power and driveability. It's not always a volume thing!

Probably more noise and water. Oh wait, it's Italian - I'm sure the only consideration was secksiness.