Sumn for dads day

idodishez

Took my dad shooting for the second time last month. He really seems to enjoy it, which caught sone if us by suorise my suster thougt i was nuts when I brought it up, thinking thetes no way hed be into it. Giess we were wrong . His cop neighbors sre also telling him he NEEDs to have a gun. So ideally would like to get him a pistol for fathers day. But not really in my budget unless it's a high point. (He really likes my XD. Not a fan at all of my LCP

So I thought about some form of training class (ESP since he can't keep his booger finger off the trigger) but all I can come up with us a CCW class. I doubt he'll Ever cc, (as opposed to just use for HD) so not sure thats the best option. So.... Any recommendations on safety or general practice training (I'm prob not the mist experienced to be teaching him either) other than a CCW class?

Doorfront Parking like a BOSS

NoBama 2012

Took my dad shooting for the second time last month. He really seems to enjoy it, which caught sone if us by suorise my suster thougt i was nuts when I brought it up, thinking thetes no way hed be into it. Giess we were wrong . His cop neighbors sre also telling him he NEEDs to have a gun. So ideally would like to get him a pistol for fathers day. But not really in my budget unless it's a high point. (He really likes my XD. Not a fan at all of my LCP

at first I was like :confused::confused:

So I thought about some form of training class (ESP since he can't keep his booger finger off the trigger) but all I can come up with us a CCW class. I doubt he'll Ever cc, (as opposed to just use for HD) so not sure thats the best option. So.... Any recommendations on safety or general practice training (I'm prob not the mist experienced to be teaching him either) other than a CCW class?

NoBama 2012

Then I was like :)

TDI is in southern Ohio, but they are not cheap. Maybe just keep working with him?

Maybe just keep working with him?

This.

I like it when my 11 year old teaches me "stuff" he learned in school - I'm sure your Pop would appreciate learning something from you; it would let him know that his work at rearing a child wasn't completely in vain, that "Hey, my kid actually knows something, guess I did OK".

That doesn't sound exactly like I mean it to sound, but I hope you get what I was going for...

GO take some classes yourself. Read some books, watch some videos. Magpul dynamic handgun is a good one to watch.

Or: take classes together, watch videos together, share books. Learning together would be good for both of you - "quality time" and what-not.

I agree too, time spent with your Dad is a great thing and time spent productively together is even greater. Let him use your XD and you use the LCP, once you both are comfy and more familiar with the safety aspects and all around weapon handling THEN give him your XD - that way he's happy, and you didnt spend money you dont have. Save up and buy yourself another later

My Dad was the one who helped get me started in gun safety, now years later it is me who takes him out shooting and is teaching him new stuff I have learned. My Dad had not fired a gun for almost 20 years, he was in the army so he was not a noob. I took him out one fathers day to shoot with my two oldest boys. He had so much fun watching the youngens shoot and how well they handled a firearm. Go out and learn with your dad and pass the info down to the next generation. There is nothing as great as a day spend shooting with my Dad and my Sons.

To clarify, I'm not a total noob, and feel confident w gun safety. I just don't necessarily feel qualified to "teach", or w more than I may have picked up in CCW class. You know, things like am I teaching the correct grip, stance, etc. "Why DOESNT the milk jug explode when shot like in the movies?".:) (even w hollow points). Was looking for a way to get him more

into it, and def not against doing it WITH him. I'm all about quality time, even if a little awkward. Training seemed like a good route, just didn't know what to do

That wouldn't be redundant for me or maybe irrelevant for him (CCW). I do like the video idea referenced. And def like the quality time ideas. Thanks for the input!

NoBama 2012

IMO a CC class isn't going to do a lot for him I don't think. The one I sat in on once just seemed like a bit if law and seeing if you could hit the target. You need a basic pistol course. One that focuses on shooting and its fundamentals. Like was said, reading and YouTube will go a long way too. Read through the gun informational sticky thread, there's some good videos in there too.