Mid ohio 6/25-6/26

candybluzx6

great weather today. Actually a bit chilly, if anything. I was shivering with the breeze. Probably wouldn't have been if I'd had leathers on though.

Whoever bought Grapesmuggler's old bike wadded it up pretty good. I saw the bike come back, but not the rider. No ambulances rolled, so I assume any injuries were relatively minor, but the bike looked a little rugged up... Then again, they all do when they're on the crash truck.

Yeah, the weather was awesome! I was cold whenever I didn't have my leathers on. Didn't notice it much on the track though.

What bike was grapesmuggler's? The only bikes I saw were the GSXR, which I witnessed that crash as i was right behind him, or was it the Yami R1? I think, too many pieces for me to make it out

There was an R6 that crashed early in advanced (banged up knee, but his bike looked pretty good. clip-on, some controls, and a dented but useable tank. Sub-frame looked tweaked though)

Then there was Joe's old bike (the black GSX-R 600 with white and red trim) which had pretty much every body panel broken, and at least left-side controls gone. I saw him gridding up with the Novice group early in the day, and recognized the RXion Racing decals from the owner before Joe. I've loaded and unloaded that bike numerous times.

And the R1 (blue, 2005-2007 generation) I didn't get a good look at, but the wind-screen was smashed as if it had flipped. He was in Intermediate. I saw him go out for the session a little late. I'm wondering if it was a cold-tire crash, while he was chasing someone who was alreayd up to speed that session (pure speculation on my part)

if anyone is there tomorrow (or tonight), my buddy Mike is on the smurf-blue 600RR with a black lower. He's pitted toward the end of the pit-lane, across from the gap in the garages.

I know he's got more beer than he can drink by himself tonight. Really nice guy. He refers to me as "radz" but should know who you're talking about if you tell him you know Chris from OhioRiders.net

Man that was a seriously great day today! I should've checked the forum because I know I saw a bunch of guys there. I was in garage 15, black/red CBR954 #13. Not too many crashes either, though that R1 did get wadded up pretty bad...

Man that was a seriously great day today! I should've checked the forum because I know I saw a bunch of guys there. I was in garage 15, black/red CBR954 #13. Not too many crashes either, though that R1 did get wadded up pretty bad...

I was next to you in garage 16 with the daytona

BDBGOALIE should have pics. He is the one that low sided his Gixxer and it looks like it flipped over the curb putting him out. He grabbed a camera and took pics the rest of the day.

Anybody else see the vintage 175 Honda go down in the keyhole?

I didn't see the girl lowside on the 175, just saw the dust cloud in the background coming out of turn 1. My dad was sitting up there when it happened. didn't seem like too much or little damage. She was mad at herself though. My dad was telling me some of the stuff she was saying, it was pretty fun.

I was right behind bdbgoalie when he crashed his gixxer. Kind of freaked me out at first considering his bike flipped and tumbled a couple times in a matter of a second. Thankfully there were no red flags then and when we came around he was ok and off the side. I talked to him later and he said the pace was a little to quick for him and he was just trying to keep up.

There wasn't a side his bike wasn't jacked up on. My coach was flagging me around the 175 on the front straight. It was close to turn 1 so I backed off and decided to pass off the keyhole. It looks like she tried to step up her pace and keep up and I watched her go wide and low side. That thing had 10 speed tires and she ran out of rubber.

Crashing sucks in general......but good luck finding replacement parts for that thing.

I was getting tired and after I saw her go down I decided to call it a day. The last lap I was just driving around the track with nothing going on upstairs.

I didn't see the girl lowside on the 175, just saw the dust cloud in the background coming out of turn 1. My dad was sitting up there when it happened. didn't seem like too much or little damage. She was mad at herself though. My dad was telling me some of the stuff she was saying, it was pretty fun.

I was right behind bdbgoalie when he crashed his gixxer. Kind of freaked me out at first considering his bike flipped and tumbled a couple times in a matter of a second. Thankfully there were no red flags then and when we came around he was ok and off the side. I talked to him later and he said the pace was a little to quick for him and he was just trying to keep up.

I wondered what that thing was that she was riding. I wasn't sure if it was really slow or if it was just her. The tires I'm sure didn't help and it's really a good thing that it wasn't fast in case because it had drums on the front and the back! It reminded me a bit of this guy, tho he was really fast in the corners.

Yup, the gixxer crash was me. Good thing is that other than a bit sore, I'm fine.

The speed increase in the straights was tolerable, but the corner speed was much higher than group five was running. I should have backed down, but instead I tried to keep up.

Crash was caused by a few factors. Too much entry speed, Trying to take a wider line/later apex, not enough body off bike, and trying to use the throttle and more lean angle to correct for it. Luckily I was off the bike before it started doing acrobatics, but I wish someone had a camera running so I could've seen it.

Damage to the bike was less than everyone made out. Fairing stay and windscreen are complete losses. Subframe is twisted, but it is an aftermarket aluminum one so bending it back should be possible. Tank is dented, but still holds fuel. Fairings took a little rash. Stupid frame slider bolt broke off in the motor.

So aside from the motor mount, it is an easy fix. I'll drop the motor when I'm back in town around the 4th and hopefully be back out in late-July/early-Aug.

Gear survived well, except for the leathers. Big hole in the left arm, and the scary pair of holes and rash around Mr. Happy. Almost looks like he slid on the ground too, so good thing he's not hurt either. Good excuse to get some that fit better, and if my thighs ever shrink, I have an extra set with a bunch of character I can use.

But, lesson learned the hard way: don't go faster than you are comfortable just trying to keep up. I'm pretty sure that just encourages the instructors to go faster anyways...

Edited by BDBGoalie

I wondered what that thing was that she was riding. I wasn't sure if it was really slow or if it was just her. The tires I'm sure didn't help and it's really a good thing that it wasn't fast in case because it had drums on the front and the back! It reminded me a bit of this guy, tho he was really fast in the corners.

That is a cool old Guzzi. Looks like someone wanting to do a bit of Vintage racing and getting seat time.

Is that a picture of the what others in previous posts were calling a Honda 175 bike that crashed?

http://youtu.be/Xv-KtnxHvIo

a few laps from yesterday.. the weather was perfect!

Nice video. You were putting that CBR to work!

And no the pic wasn't the 175 we were talking about. That little thing was a piece of work. I don't think it had a starter on it so she had to get bumped and the exhaust pipe was as big as conduit, but damn it was loud.

i was there both days riding in N and I. you guys and gals were great!

Definitely a good day (or two) of riding. Glad everyone came out mostly unscathed and hopefully we'll see you guys and gals again soon!

We need to try and get a few people together so we can split the cost of a garage or 2 next time...

• 2 weeks later...