chicken strips, post em up!

Gixxus Christ!

Chicken strips are a sign of lean angle. Lean is reflective of corner speed assuming you aren't leaning the wrong way as that's just stupid on any motorcycle at speed.

I don't hang off the bike a ton, but have no trouble using the full width of the tire and going quickly. If I misjudge a corner, then I hang off further to allow the handlebar to be turned even further to allow a tighter turning radius. Meaning I will shift more weight off the bike. This technique allows me to ride quickly for longer periods of time without tiring. If I hung off far every corner, that is more effort. It also looks funny to see someone hanging off without much lean angle on the bike.

This is a thread about stripes, not just going fast on a sportbike. Going fast requires much more than lean angle, but generally speaking if you can't lean a bike over near the edge, you probably aren't very fast either.

http://s1145.photobucket.com/albums/o502/turnone/

Chris

Edited by turnone
link

Chicken strips are a sign of lean angle. Lean is reflective of corner speed assuming you aren't leaning the wrong way as that's just stupid on any motorcycle at speed.

I don't hang off the bike a ton, but have no trouble using the full width of the tire and going quickly. If I misjudge a corner, then I hang off further to allow the handlebar to be turned even further to allow a tighter turning radius. Meaning I will shift more weight off the bike. This technique allows me to ride quickly for longer periods of time without tiring. If I hung off far every corner, that is more effort. It also looks funny to see someone hanging off without much lean angle on the bike.

This is a thread about stripes, not just going fast on a sportbike. Going fast requires much more than lean angle, but generally speaking if you can't lean a bike over near the edge, you probably aren't very fast either.

Chris

What do you know about going fast? :.......::...............j/k after riding with this cat at the gap I would welcome any advise or tips he has to offer

• Upvote 1

Chicken strips. Yum!

Get your butt off the seat and it's amazing how much more tire you have.

"Get your butt off the seat" Yes. I like Keith Code's one butt check approach. I generally pivot my hips arount the back of the tank to get my cheek off and forward to keep weight on the front end.

"amazing how much more tire you have" Yes. Chicken strips are evidence of more tire available.

But when combined the full statement could confuse someone.

To clarify, more off the seat = less lean angle for the same speed.

Chris

You don't want to twist, everything should stay in a straight line from your hips to your head. If you twist you end up moving just your but not the giant mass up top which stays over the center of the tank.

For me it depends. If you are trying to weight the front under heavy acceleration to keep the front down, I do twist or rotate.

If you want to have maximum steering angle, then yes, want to lean off as far as possible.

Completely depends on the goal.

Riding is very complex and you have to find what works best for you. My techniques are only guaranteed to work for me.

Like I mentioned earlier, going fast is a combination of things, no one thing will make you fast.

My photobucket has a few photos from last weeks Gap trip. You can see me pivot around the tank, not leaning off to far. I assure you this technique can work well.

Chris

• Downvote 1

You are more than welcome to ride how you want but coming from someone who teaches people, you don't want to get in the habit of twisting. Tucking into the tank will get more weight forward vs twisting. Riding comes down to comfort but there are some fundamentals, even Keith Code show body position in his videos but no twisting.

You are more than welcome to ride how you want but coming from someone who teaches people, you don't want to get in the habit of twisting. Tucking into the tank will get more weight forward vs twisting. Riding comes down to comfort but there are some fundamentals, even Keith Code show body position in his videos but no twisting.

Cool. I'm 40 so not sure I'll change, but always be willing to learn. Please explain about the tucking in vs. the twisting or leaning off. I feel that rotating, it is a combination of learning off and forward.

And although I like Keith Code, I don't only consider his advice when riding.

Chris

It's not just Code, most everyone teaches it, not saying you have to change anything just helps put weight where it should be.

Twisting promotes keeping the head over the tank which makes you put weight on the inside bar (not always a lot but it forces you to hold on with your hands not legs). Not a super big deal but if something starts to slide or get super bumpy you make it worse with your hands as you are fighting with the bars.

Great point. I am a huge believer in the "bikes steer themselves, don't fuck it up" technique of light on the bars mid corner. Huge imput, then light touch.

Something to think about for me. I don't want to be doing anything that adds bar pressure.

Chris

"Get your butt off the seat" Yes. I like Keith Code's one butt check approach. I generally pivot my hips arount the back of the tank to get my cheek off and forward to keep weight on the front end.

"amazing how much more tire you have" Yes. Chicken strips are evidence of more tire available.

Chris

I have never heard Keith state anything about a butt cheek approach .

However I have heard him say that a stable lower body (pelvis ) allows the rider to move his upper body down and inside the bike. the only way to accomplish this is by being locked on to the bike with the outside leg.

I used to twist on the bike and it causes quite a lot of troubles at speed . Now that I'm locked on with my outside leg I can ride with no bar pressure in the turn thus the front doesn't slide like it used to when I was all twisted up and pressing on the inside bar.

Chris

To clarify, more off the seat = less lean angle needed for the same turn.

= more tire left over in case of an emergency.