Mechanic Special - 1985 V65 Sabre - $500.00 OBO

Ryan_c_F

Good afternoon, guys n gals.

I'm looking to part ways with my V65. My dream bike for many years... got in while the deal was under $1000.00... it performed like a bike that cost less than $1000.00 lol. I'm asking for half of that.

The bike is currently NOT RUNNING - this is why the price is so low. It needs an electrical system refresher (the reason why it's grounded), fork seals, brake pads, a rear master cylinder, and a side-cover if you can find one. The rear monoshock is also blown out ('cuz I'm fat lol) but I have a replacement ready to go.

Also, in my frustration with the bike, I lost the key when it broke down. No idea where that is. But you'd need to get one cut eventually.

However, for the good news: this Sabre has about 35k miles on it, and a clean title. The frame is straight, the transmission is strong, the clutch needs no work. No rips in the upholstery either. The engine was working marvelously before the electrical gremlin bit me, doing good work to catch me up to a squid in Timberlands on an R6 who was doing clutch-ups in traffic, so that I could shake my giant helmet disapprovingly at him. Good Honda!

This is really for someone with a lot of patience and a knack for making custom parts work, or for someone with a Sabre who could use a lot of spare parts and a good engine.

I have an aftermarket Rifle fairing that will be included.

I would prefer to divest myself of this thing all at once, because I don't have any use for a full motorcycle in my garage right now... half a motorcycle would be even worse.

Anyone interested, or know anyone who would be interested?

Anyone interested, or know anyone who would be interested?

I'll let a friend know about it as he just bought a used saber. He might be interest in it as a parts bike if it is visually similar. So get the photos up.;)

Wasn't there an oil starvation issue on the front head with the V65's? Heard something about it years ago from a guy at work that had the Magna. Your bike looks damn good for its age though. GLWS

Wasn't there an oil starvation issue on the front head with the V65's? Heard something about it years ago from a guy at work that had the Magna. Your bike looks damn good for its age though. GLWS

Something like that. Tore apart a buddy's to have the gears undercut, and while it was apart installed some oiling mod to fix this (routes higher-pressure oil from somewhere in the tranny direct to the head). Of course, the motor was fine for the first 14,000 or so without it.

P.S. Those bikes are sick - we used to race heads-up at 11.6 when I had my F4i. Phucker weighs 600+ and will pull the front wheel rather than break rear traction.

Edited by brn6604

Yeah.. a lot of guys will end up tapping the block and running an oiler line from the bottom of the block.

I just let this one warm up properly before taking off... Would walk outside and start it up without my helmet and gloves on and that usually helped with the cold-bloodedness.

The engine SCREAMS. It's a naughty beast for whoever can get it working again; I just have literally no know-how and would end up killing myself if I tried to fix a brake package.

sweet bike! I'd love to pick this thing up to ride the woman around on but I just don't have the skills to get it all fixed

Handled my fat ass and my wife's slightly less fat ass just fine, this is a good touring choice. :bow:

No worries.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure from what I've read, it was the 84's that had the problem, and the 85's were corrected at the factory.

I remember reading somewhere the oiling issue was all sizes thru 86, including the uber-beast 1000R with cam gears; something regarding heat treating of the cams being too soft (?) Porter do you remember someone linking an old article on VFRWorld several years ago?

Since I'm already getting lined up for some cool Ti hardware in my back, this lump would probably paralyze me just getting it onto the centerstand right now. Otherwise I'd be dragging it home.

Pretty much all I have read is that it's ALL of the VF's, even my 500.

Well I guess what I read was just referring to the 700's?

Early V45s suffered from cylinder head woes, but by the time the 700 Sabre came along those problems had been put to rest. With an overdrive six-speed transmission, the Sabre can be hustled up to speed in short order, and the engine's 10,500rpm redline comes up remarkably fast. Cruising at highway speeds of 70mph and above is where the Sabre shines: It's calm and absolutely free of vibration, a testimony to the V4's lack of primary imbalance.

Read more: http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-japanese-motorcycles/honda-vf700s-sabre.aspx?page=2#ixzz1xnCq3Ox7

I can get a UHaul trailer but I'd prefer that you meet me halfway lol. That's a 3 hour drive for me from Lakewood to CW.

If you and MaxPower get things worked out before Sunday, I will be in Mansfield, and can bring my enclosed and pic it up for him. Fact, I would do this free of charge since I'm going home anyways.

Maxpower you got my # if this happens, text me. I will be in Mansfield about 10am judging a car show, then around until mid afternoon/early evening. I don't have plans past like noon/1pm.