my beautiful new Guyana Red-Tail Boa

Steve Butters

Yea I should have built a cage. Not sure if I will get another one down the road. I started with him upstairs, but the lights heated the upstairs up way too much. We finally set him up in the basement and we were much happier.

thats whats nice about the wood, its well insulated so i use WAY LESS electricity heating it ....in my 55g i had 150w light at one end, and 100w at the other just to keep temps right...now in the wood cage i only use 75w and its perfect, and its twice as big as the 55....and it doesnt heat up the room as much as the glass since its contained more

wood is really the way to go....or one of those fancy ass $800 plastic cages...but who can afford that lol

also - since beardies go through so many crickets, i found it much more economical to start a dubia roach colony....now i have plenty of feeder insects, theyre more nutritious than crickets, and they dont escape like crickets, so i can keep them in my apartment and not have to worry about finding one in my bed or something lol...(dubia roaches dont have sticky feet, so they live in a tote box and cant escape it)....and they cost me virtually nothing....$30 in supplies every 6 months or so...beats $15 a week on crickets lol

talking to my cage builder about making me a 6x2 cage for the boa...itll be just like those beardie ones but two feet longer...idk where ill put it though lol...dont want it on the floor, getting the boa out will be tricky enough, let alone if i have to lay down to do it

went to move him around today to move one of his hides and he was pissed....hissing like a mofo...i went and put on a mechanix glove just in case lol, didnt strike me though

Edited by Steve Butters

yep...i refuse to buy or keep them in my apartment....i hate them so much....and they smell awful

if you get the chance to get another one, i would go for it....beardies are so simple and common, but they have so much personality...i love mine like a kid lol

i think the reason im into snakes is because when i was little my dad bought me a ball python...we went to the reptile store to just look around since he thought i would enjoy them (i was like 7)....he ended up buying me one, but my mom gave it away after we had it a couple years to someone she worked with...ive been wanting another ever since

being exposed to them at such a young age prevented me from ever really becoming afraid of them or disliking them.....but theres some animals i cant stand that people love....its all just who you are

for me, birds and horses are my least favorite animals....i feel about horses and birds how most people feel about snakes and spiders lol....i dont really like spiders either though

Edited by Steve Butters

You have a beautiful baby there. I have had several variations in boas, and pythons. Will have to say though, that my favorite was a 15 foot female boa that was a rescue. She was a big baby. Never had problems with her nipping at anyone, and we fed her rabbits. Also had a 13 foot Burmese that was a big baby. He ate chicken breast, and could let him crawl around the house without snapping at anyone. Open the cage door, he would stick his head out and slowly work his way out. He would climb up a log I put in my bed room, and hang around all day. Was very interesting to watch him eat chicken also. Toss in the microwave long enough to be warm to touch, and held it in front of him with tongs. Shawnee State University said it was extremely hard to get a snake to eat chicken. I couldn't help but laugh when they said that.

I have always found that if they aren't feeding in the same place they are kept, that helps keep aggression and nipping at the hands down. Makes life easier for handling, but can be a pain in the ass to have separate tanks.

Also, is there a problem finding live mice for feeding in your area? Easy as hell around here to get mice from stores. Personally, I prefer to feed live. I believe they get better results in growth, and life to feed live rodents/rabbits. Feeding frozen, or you may also want to try to switch to chicken, will help with the handling portion of it.

Anyways, enjoy the many years with the new family member.

What does the gecko look like? My little brother has a spotted (I think) gecko and it's pretty cool. My step dad has offered me his setup that he had for his dragon (I think lol) I might take him up on it now that I have a house :D

What does the gecko look like? My little brother has a spotted (I think) gecko and it's pretty cool. My step dad has offered me his setup that he had for his dragon (I think lol) I might take him up on it now that I have a house :D

hes gorgeous....but he is a non-handleable pet...so just a display item....i dont like pets i cant handle....all i can do with him is watch him hunt crickets, which is neat....but eh....shoulda done more research before buying lol

564346_1657435322254_255088489_n.jpg

you want him? lol....comes with whole tank setup and everything you would need for him besides a calcium powder....but understand, he is hands off....hes about 5 inches long head to tail and moves about 200mph....if you get him out hes gone....i have to scoop him up in a cup to clean his tank, cant even catch him by hand without grabbing him (which will make him lose his tail)

• 4 months later...
How do they ship snakes from CA to OH? Can't be UPS, he never would have survived.

It is actually very common in the industry. We use insulated shipping boxes, with heat/cold packs depending on the season. There is no shipping in extreme temperatures either.

Usually they were also not claimed as snakes when shipped. Last time we shipped was in 2009, so things could have changed.