Checking to see if a bike frame is straight

YSR_Racer_99

I've got the itch to go racing again.

Looking at a salvage street bike, but would like to have the frame checked. Is there anywhere near Cinti, or even in Ohio, that can do this?

If I were to do it myself, hillbilly-style with a tape measure from points X to points Y, what would be good to measure? Front end damage (fairing, "needs new forks" which would matter as I'd be swapping on a whole different front end, etc. Looks like it got most of the damage on the left side).

Its an 03-04 SV650

TIA

Jeff

Depends on the hit it took. If you can see that the damage was simply slower or didn't hit the front, etc., most guys don't do the black magic frame measuring tricks. Just replace the triples. Most the time, the steering shaft twists and causes a bind. Not a big issue and like SJC had done, Reuben can get that fixed easily.

Most the time, you replace all the things that get bent like the clip ons, rearsets, subframes, forks, etc... Really doubtful that the frame got bent in a crash... The necks of these modern bikes are so well supported and braced that if bent, they cannot be brought back.

I wouldn't waste the money on a measuring appointment. Like mentioned... What if it does show out of line? Gonna cost almost as much as you can find a frame on Ebay or WERA for... For peace of mind, set it up to be measured and make that part of the deal, but don't expect it to be measured straight and perfect. Most are slightly out of tune anyways...

My suggestion? Fuck it, run it.

I think thats great advice. Holy cow, its a novice bike in LW twins with an old guy riding it. Not like I'm going for a championship...

Thx all.

Depends on the hit it took. If you can see that the damage was simply slower or didn't hit the front, etc., most guys don't do the black magic frame measuring tricks. Just replace the triples. Most the time, the steering shaft twists and causes a bind. Not a big issue and like SJC had done, Reuben can get that fixed easily.

Most the time, you replace all the things that get bent like the clip ons, rearsets, subframes, forks, etc... Really doubtful that the frame got bent in a crash... The necks of these modern bikes are so well supported and braced that if bent, they cannot be brought back.

I wouldn't waste the money on a measuring appointment. Like mentioned... What if it does show out of line? Gonna cost almost as much as you can find a frame on Ebay or WERA for... For peace of mind, set it up to be measured and make that part of the deal, but don't expect it to be measured straight and perfect. Most are slightly out of tune anyways...

My suggestion? Fuck it, run it.

I think thats great advice. Holy cow, its a novice bike in LW twins with an old guy riding it. Not like I'm going for a championship...

Thx all.

Bingo. Even if you were running AMA... I don't find many racers using the service to fix frames. They will measure at the start of a season or even after a crash. Nothing to pay $75 to check it out like Isaac mentioned. But, to have it fixed if out of whack? Screw it...

You gonna come race with us now? That would be great, man! You really need to try Moto Series as they have a fairly solid LW group and seriously fast riders. They have faster LW guys than WERA does right now...

I hit a Mazda with my front end. Insurance is paying to have the bike measured. I know something is screwy with the bike' date=' even if it's just a cocked triple tree. I don't trust my eyeballs to know when the front is straight, again. I trust the machine.

Now, if I were riding some shitbox Suzuki? Yeah, I'd probably just say, "fuck it.".[/quote']

No doubt. Get it measured. Nothing against getting it measured, but if it is whacked, they aren't going to pay to have it fixed. It will total the bike as the frame being damaged, it will go to salvage quick.

If you hit a car, you might have bent the frame neck. Maybe... But again, even with the Duc, the Chromoly frame is solid. Not as braced as a twin spar, but still very solid. Measuring makes sense...