Rain got in my tank

just_some_dude

This Sunday I left my bike in some heavy rain in Mt Vernon area. Went to start the bike after the rain and all it would do is idle *facepalm. Water must have gotten into the tank. Left it there and jumped in the car with my wife to drive back to Columbus. It is so lonely up there.

I am going to drain the tank when I get up there and put some fresh gas in. Bike is so lonely, though... and so am I :cry:

O don't know a lot about buells but I know that the tank should be sealed better than that. Also a buddy of mine had a similar issue with his nighttrain after it got wet and it turned out the water got into a connector on the wire harness. He found that out after some reasearch and discovered it was a common problem. The fix was simple to pop the connector open, blow it out with compressed air and cover the connector with that connector grease.

It will if the tank cap gasket seal is dry or cracked and not working. Also if the overflow tube is clogged, the water won't drain away from where it could get past the tank cap.

Yes, I had it happen once. Only once, that was a pain.

Doubtful that water in the tank is the issue....water is much heavier than gas and will drop to the bottom. If your bike would idle, that means it was getting gas and not water. Most likely water in a connection. My old fzr would bog and stutter in heavy rain.

Check first. Drain some fuel from the fuel line into a glass jar and look for water in the gasoline. If it's not there, that's not the problem. You might drain your float bowls if you have to, but I'd look for an electrical problem instead. And don't forget to try starting first, it might be dried out by then. Plan on jumping/charging the battery if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

It was definitely water in the tank. It was a really heavy rain and my bike was basically sitting directly under a waterfall of rain coming off the slanted roof.

I drained the tank and it started without issue. As I was draining, you could tell there was a lot of water in there. Looked like water was coming out, not gas.

Bike would idle all day long, the moment I barely touched the throttle the bike would cut out.

On both my previous(05 kawi 636) and current ( Daytona) bikes I've had water get into my tank after a down pour of rain. I got it pumped out and put fresh gas in and that solved my problem. the fluid was clear and didn't smell or look like gas either.