Clutch bleeding gone wrong

scottie.harris

I was bleeding the clutch and emptied the reservoir to clean the dirt out of it. Well i went to get the air out and nothing came out but clean fluid i just put in. did that for about 10 minutes and nothing. There was another nipple next to the clutch line bleed so i tried that and it has no effect on the clutch levers pressure so i got a wee little bit of air out of it and some fluid drained as well. No effect.

(heres a big mistake) i listened to a honda 1000rr forum thread..(i know right) and loosened the (i believe) banjo bolt and attemped a bleed but lost all pressure. I now have no pressure and still got air stuck in the clutch somewhere.

I am getting highly eritated with this after it leaving me stranded about 10 miles from home, some bloody knuckles, and a headache. Please any help is appreciated.

do you have the service manual? (I'm looking at it.)

It's not like a normal bleed, it's more like having to put pressure on the clutch line, and quick pop the clutch bleed valve open to let some out. Repeat till normal.

Edited by ReconRat

1. pump clutch lever until no air bubbles rise up through fluid, to clear master cylinder end.

2. tap clutch hose lightly from lower end to upper end, and again bleed air off at the reservoir.

3. bleed clutch line:

a. pump clutch lever till hard and hold it squeezed.

b. quickly open and close the slave bleed valve.

c. repeat till air is gone.

d. check fluid level.

That's all they got. Don't know what else, other than make sure it's not leaking air or fluid at that banjo bolt. Banjo bolts sometimes don't seal well without new crush washers installed. They might take torquing twice, but sometimes not.

Dude, this is bootleg but it works for me. I hook a small hose that fits snugly around the nipple of the bleeder valve and the other end goes into a bleeder cup from a bleeding kit. I then hook my shop vac to the bleeder cup nipple, crack the bleeder, turn on the shop vac, and watch it suck out air until steady fluid pours out.

Next I go through traditional pump and bleed procedures to get out the last bit.

Also pumping clutch until no air bubbles come up through the resivoir is a good start like previously mentioned.

There is pressure in there and you can pump your way out of it but it will take all night. Just get some fluid in the line and even the slightest bit will jump start the whole process. It's a PITA bit once you get going its good to go.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Becareful I got a hell of a deal on a suzuki intruder once because it was having "clutch issues". Basically the guy had it serviced at a dealership and it sat while he was trying to sell it. He went to ride it one day and there was no pressure in the clutch lever. He just wanted it gone so he could deck out his night train and sold it to me cheap. I got it home tried to bleed the lines and it worked. Came out the next day no pressure. I got super pissed eventually and took it to a local shop. The guy looked it over determined the issue was with the slave cylinder and ordered the new one. When he went to install the new slave cylinder he noticed the gasket was all messed up. He called and asked me how I bled it and told him the pump the lever and turn the nut method. He told me the issue was someone used a vacuum bleeder on the bike and had sucked the gasket into the slave cylinder allowing a small air leak in. This happened at the dealer because they were the only other ones to touch the bike.

Long clear hose and use you mouth that way you don't get too much suction, it sounds getto but that's the only way ill use vaccum method. Just make sure not to let tube get over half full, its not the best tasting stuff...lol

Ok so apparently theres two banjo bolts(im a noob). I loosened the one on the master cylinder that lost all pressure. Ive tried pumping for sevetal minutes with no change in pressure. I dont even have enough pressure to bleed the clutch line, even if i pump the clutch several times before opening the bleeder again.

Speed bleeders wouldnt have done shit, finally figured it out. I had to remove the banjo bolt from the master cylinder add some oil in it and then squeeze the lever til the oil was just at the edge tuen put the bolt on. After the bolt was on somewhat i lightly sqeezed the excess air out of it and torqued i the bolt down. After i did this i had pressure again and a crap ton of air came out when i bled the clutch line. Thanks for the help guys

Speed bleeders wouldnt have done shit, finally figured it out. I had to remove the banjo bolt from the master cylinder add some oil in it and then squeeze the lever til the oil was just at the edge tuen put the bolt on. After the bolt was on somewhat i lightly sqeezed the excess air out of it and torqued i the bolt down. After i did this i had pressure again and a crap ton of air came out when i bled the clutch line. Thanks for the help guys

Sounds like the mighty vac woulda have helped to me. Just as long as you don't use too much pressure too fast.

You might still have to bleed one more time. When hydraulic fluid and air is compressed, the air disperses in the fluid. Later, it comes back out as big bubbles of air in places. So if it feels like it still has air in it, it might just be so. It is tricky to get it all out. Much of it depends on how hard it gets compressed during the bleeding operation.

edit: if all the fluid in the line is moved out, the air is gone, except for odd amounts trapped in strange places.