Bike isn't starting

OsuMj

I lost my key in January, finally got around to replacing it yesterday. Everything was put back together and I tried to start it, found that the battery was dead. Bought a new battery and installed it today. Put nice fresh fuel in the bike. I try to start it and it doesn't start. Definitely not the battery or fuel. It sounds like there is some air going through the exhaust when I'm trying to start it. . . So what's next? What can I check right now? I'm going to turn into a whiny 7 year old in like 10 mins if I can't get it started. :cry:

My bike does the same thing if it sits too long had it sit for a week and would not start. Tried this a few times and she fired. Had to roll on the throttle as you crank it and it worked for me. Also I've had to bump start it if that didn't work.

• Upvote 1

Is it fuel injected? If my bike sits more than a month without being started I cycle the key 3-5 times so the fuel pump can get pressure and it fires right up

-VanDy

• Upvote 1

Got it! 3 hours of (pouting while) washing my bike with occasional attempts to start it, I shifted it in 1st and N a couple times to try to start it and tried rolling down my driveway too. idk what was wrong, but it works. I'm going riding! *happy dance*

thanks for the suggestions!

no, it had some gas in there... maybe there was just stale gas in the line?

when you put it away for the winter always use stabil fuel stabalizer.

fill the tank add 2 ounces and run it for a few minutes.....no worries come riding season.

when you put it away for the winter always use stabil fuel stabalizer.

fill the tank add 2 ounces and run it for a few minutes.....no worries come riding season.

sooo, I think you missed the first part of my first post, I lost my key in January. I normally ride year round unless there is ice on the roads, so the whole storing it for winter isn't usually an issue... this time I didn't have a key even to unlock my steering let alone get into the gas tank. If I ever do need to store it for winter, I will definitely do the whole winterizing routine, battery on the tender, fuel stabilizer, etc.

believe it or not, I actually went through all the proper procedures for checking the bike (tires and chain after I found it it started, oil before trying to start it!) :D

no, it had some gas in there... maybe there was just stale gas in the line?

More than likely. I keep forgetting that those are FI'ed, I thought there would be something in the bowls as well. :) You would be very well served to grab a can of Seafoam and put some of that in there. Don't go crazy with it, the can will tell you how much to put in with the amount of gas you have, and more isn't necessarily better. I'd run that through your first tank or two, then see if things are better. Did you check your air filter as well?