car people opinions on this car

jbot

hiya

ever since i sold my g35 and got a diesel touareg in its stead, i've been looking at a "cheaper" toy car to tide me over til i got whatever next car I decided to get.

i'm looking at this turd and i just don't know a lot about turbo'd S2000's or cars in general anymore.

i did test drive it, and it seemed to run fine and all that, nothing obviously broken. he seemed amenable to having tests done on the engine (compression, whatever else they do). the weird part here is that he said he had it "professionally" tuned (it came with the turbo and stuff installed already but not "tuned"... also makes no sense...) but doesn't have the dyno sheet or A/F numbers or HP numbers (gave me an estimate of 325-350HP) from when it was tuned. i just thought it was weird he wouldn't have at least the dyno info.

It does have a clean carfax lol.

he said he's willing to sell for 12.5K which isn't terrible assuming it's not almost ready to blow up.

what do you guys think?

i'm actually looking for a shop that can run it on the dyno to see what it is pushing out right now and check the AF ratios. also do some tests on the engine to make sure it's not going to blow up on me and check the rear diff since that is a weak spot on these cars apparently.

Ahh, the S2000's... for when you don't want to go full flamer and get the cheap Miata.

You must be trawling for only the finest of the classy gay hoes.

Bite the bullet, finance it, and get a new BRZ. Moar funner, not lbts, and way less :supergay:

And I can't stress it enough that you get the BRZ and NOT the FRS. Pretty much the same car, but I'd put money on the BRZ holding better resale.

The guy bought it with an after market turbo but not tuned? That doesn't make since. That would make me question if he is trying to get out of questions. What setup is it? Is it tuned with hondata? How long have they had it?

Ahh, the S2000's... for when you don't want to go full flamer and get the cheap Miata.

You must be trawling for only the finest of the classy gay hoes.

Bite the bullet, finance it, and get a new BRZ. Moar funner, not lbts, and way less :supergay:

And I can't stress it enough that you get the BRZ and NOT the FRS. Pretty much the same car, but I'd put money on the BRZ holding better resale.

The S2000 was a bit of a "dream car" for me back when it came out, so I'm kinda doing the whole "I was too poor to even dream of owning one back then" scenario. at 12.5K (or 12K which is what i'll offer him) the honda is pretty much bottomed out in price. you also have to keep in mind this is just going to keep me amused until I buy a "proper" toy car in the next couple years. i should probably buy a non-turbo'd s2000 and just enjoy it and sell it later, but i want more power.

The guy bought it with an after market turbo but not tuned? That doesn't make since. That would make me question if he is trying to get out of questions. What setup is it? Is it tuned with hondata? How long have they had it?

that's what i said. i'm going to guess whoever had it before him installed all the crap on it and got it dialed in himself. There is an AEM EMS on there (amongst other things) so it's not a terrible setup. he said he is looking for the dyno/tuning info cause I told him I was concerned about it. i know he's had it listed for a while, so he is motivated to get me the info.

Talk to DTM Brian about getting it on the dyno before buying

i thought about that too, but i dont think the seller will want me to drive it 300+ miles to get a dyno run. the seller isn't a bad guy by any means, i believe him when he says he had it tuned... i just need proof and find out if it really does make the power he says it does (it certainly felt strong, though laggy as fuck... stupid high strung POS lol jk) and that it's running optimally. i will probably take it to him after i buy it (IF i buy it and that's a big if)

Psh if I had a dollar for every time someone put a turbo on and didn't do the proper accompanying mods and a tune I'd be driving a brand new Vette right now

Most car modders are cheap. They go big on the F&F parts but then skip out on the things that won't make it go boom. Also, it's pretty simple to do a base tune just good enough to not make it run like shit or blow up. If you're wanting an s2000 I know of 1 that has an extremely clean LS1 swap but I don't know what his price is off hand

Psh if I had a dollar for every time someone put a turbo on and didn't do the proper accompanying mods and a tune I'd be driving a brand new Vette right now

Most car modders are cheap. They go big on the F&F parts but then skip out on the things that won't make it go boom. Also, it's pretty simple to do a base tune just good enough to not make it run like shit or blow up. If you're wanting an s2000 I know of 1 that has an extremely clean LS1 swap but I don't know what his price is off hand

did you look at the ad? in your opinion, does it look like it's got the parts needed to keep it running smoothly?

let me know what the LS1 s2000 price is. that would be neato as long as it's not a basket case.

http://www.buschurracing.com/

Closer for a dyno check and they know turbos really well. Dave is an asshole, knows his shit and is cool as hell if you can make it past the asshole part.

Seems priced right but I don't know if I trust putting a turbo on a non turbo car especially buying it third hand. I don't know this but would guess that that high revving motor has too much compression for a turbo. If the H.P. numbers are correct to the wheels that thing would be crazy to drive.

I say go with a non turbo CR model, might pay a bit more but won't have the headaches.

Why buy a turbo version? We ran the S2000 at Mid-Ohio and I can say that it really doesn't need the turbo to be fast. Sure, it is cool and all, but I can probably bet you'd never really get any use out of it other than impressing friends with a little whistle...

did you look at the ad? in your opinion, does it look like it's got the parts needed to keep it running smoothly?

let me know what the LS1 s2000 price is. that would be neato as long as it's not a basket case.

now on my computer I just looked at the ad. It has a good amount of the right stuff to run 5psi which is basically nothing when it comes to those motors. They take to boost pretty well from what I've seen if you do it right and it seems as though it has enough of the right stuff to not be beat to shit. Greddy turbo's are pretty solid, just depends if they put the right size on for that application. Picking up any modded vehicle you should always assume you're going to have to sort through some bullshit problems but its just a crap shoot if they are big or little.

I knew this going in to buying my last camaro which was modded to hell and the motor was strong but it had a lot of little shit to deal with that pissed me off so I dumped it

http://www.buschurracing.com/

Closer for a dyno check and they know turbos really well. Dave is an asshole, knows his shit and is cool as hell if you can make it past the asshole part.

Seems priced right but I don't know if I trust putting a turbo on a non turbo car especially buying it third hand. I don't know this but would guess that that high revving motor has too much compression for a turbo. If the H.P. numbers are correct to the wheels that thing would be crazy to drive.

I say go with a non turbo CR model, might pay a bit more but won't have the headaches.

agreed on everything minus the turbo on a non turbo car. The third hand factor I do agree upon but some motors just handle boost well and the s2000 is one of them so I wouldn't worry about that like I'd worry about it on say a Grand Am

ok apparently I missed it but the ls1 swapped s2000 sold and he let it go ridiculously cheap...14k

another local one is a supercharged s2000 but he wants 20k for it. Its worth that in all the parts it has but quite frankly I'd never pay that for honda of its age

Why buy a turbo version? We ran the S2000 at Mid-Ohio and I can say that it really doesn't need the turbo to be fast. Sure, it is cool and all, but I can probably bet you'd never really get any use out of it other than impressing friends with a little whistle...

after watching them zip around the autocross area at Mid-Ohio today, I'd tend to agree.

The turbo just adds numbers to a spec sheet, and fucks with the gas mileage.

I've actually driven 2 S2000's and while they ride a bit harsh, I like them.

The biggest thing to look for is the engine change from the early models. I think they only made it 1 or 2 years with the true 2.0 (thus the 2000) engine. That put out 240hp at something stupid like 8,000 RPM, so you had to rev the piss out of it to get any kind of power. Which is fine on the track, but less user-friendly around town.

They quickly changed to a 2.2 liter engine that actually makes less power (i think), but produced better useable torque. That's probably the better car for 90% of the world.

Why, exactly, are you looking for a $12,500 "toy" car when you have owned several bikes that are faster, cheaper, and arguably more fun? (sorry... I get it, but then I don't get it. I can't personally rationalize "toy" cars unless I'm without a bike)

The biggest thing to look for is the engine change from the early models. I think they only made it 1 or 2 years with the true 2.0 (thus the 2000) engine. That put out 240hp at something stupid like 8,000 RPM, so you had to rev the piss out of it to get any kind of power. Which is fine on the track, but less user-friendly around town.

They quickly changed to a 2.2 liter engine that actually makes less power (i think), but produced better useable torque. That's probably the better car for 90% of the world.

Why, exactly, are you looking for a $12,500 "toy" car when you have owned several bikes that are faster, cheaper, and arguably more fun? (sorry... I get it, but then I don't get it. I can't personally rationalize "toy" cars unless I'm without a bike)

Your thinking of the 2001 AP1 that went to 10,000 rpm. They only made that one year. The thing is thats half the fun of owning those kinds of cars. Both the K-series motors I had went to 8500 rpm. I miss revving the piss out of those cars compared to the turbo I have now. The MS3 is fun when the torque from the turbo hits but the high RPM's were better. So with that I have to say just get an AP1 and rev the piss out of it.

...so the guy bought what he refers to as "the perfect track car," and then kept it covered in a garage?

Anything actually used on the track gets dinged up. Big deal. It adds character.

I'm always hesitant to buy notably modified vehicles. Inheriting someone else's frustration/ problem.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner! :bow:

Rarely have I found a heavily modified vehicle that went perfect and then they want to give it away because "I am just not into it anymore".

BS, Something is wrong with it and you cant figure the ticking time bomb out.

However, this is not heavily modded to me. The list seems short and sweet and to the point. The only thing I would believe is missing, to make this a quality build is all new rotating components. But that is just me.

That and the +5psi does not seem to be all that killer either.