Skewl me on bill of sale

donkason

I am on the hunt for a track bike and I keep seeing, no title bill of sale only. I am assuming these bikes are salvage and somehow they go from a junkyard to a garage for a rebuild. That being said I don't know how a "bill of sale" works. How does one acquire a bike with no title? Does it need to be notarized? Does it transfer from person to person? Do I need to go to the DMV with it?

Help a brother out if you good folks can and let me know how this process should go and if there is anything funny to look for.

Thanks!!!

I am on the hunt for a track bike and I keep seeing, no title bill of sale only. I am assuming these bikes are salvage and somehow they go from a junkyard to a garage for a rebuild. That being said I don't know how a "bill of sale" works. How does one acquire a bike with no title? Does it need to be notarized? Does it transfer from person to person? Do I need to go to the DMV with it?

Help a brother out if you good folks can and let me know how this process should go and if there is anything funny to look for.

Thanks!!!

If the seller is outside of Ohio, and the bike has never been titled in Ohio, a notarized bill of sale could get you a title. If the seller is in Ohio, it's worth nothing more than peace of mind that the seller attests to it not being stolen.

Ignoring the shady possibilities, it could be that the bike was converted from street to dedicated track use, and at some point in the changing of hands it was decided that it wasn't worth paying tax on anymore. If this is the case though, I would still want the actual title, regardless of whose name ended up on it last. If the bike has never been titled, then it should have an MCO with it. If it never had a VIN, that's another story.

The seller mentioned possibly having a bill of sale. Can I draw up/print off a new one in case I show up and he doesn't have it? Or is the bill of sale a document that he has to transfer to me and I can't originate it? I'm looking to cover my ass. I'm sure it's legit but you never know.

If it's something I can print off and insert the year, make, model, and VIN, as well as the sale date and agreed price it would make me feel better than forking over cash and hoping for the best.

there is no standard bill of sale. you could write it out in crayon on a bar napkin if you wanted to...

google "vehicle bill of sale" there are tons of downloadable ones that you can print off if you want.

usually it has just what you said. year, make, model, vin, sale date, and both party's name, address etc.

here's a pretty standard one

http://siy.cars.com/pdf/carscom_bill_of_sale.pdf

there is no standard bill of sale. you could write it out in crayon on a bar napkin if you wanted to...

google "vehicle bill of sale" there are tons of downloadable ones that you can print off if you want.

usually it has just what you said. year, make, model, vin, sale date, and both party's name, address etc.

here's a pretty standard one

http://siy.cars.com/pdf/carscom_bill_of_sale.pdf

Thanks a lot for the help everyone. I'll use the one in the link and have my wife bring her notary.

Much appreciated :thumbup: