Some Questions About Mid-Ohio

soad

I'm thinking about doing my first trackday at Mid-Ohio on August 13-14, and I have some questions for you frequent trackdayers.

Boots. Do they have to be actual race type boots, or will Icon Super Duty 3's be fine? Obviously this is for the novice class. what about other over the ankle motorcycle shoes?

Since I don't own a set of leathers, I've been searching high and low for a used set in my size near me. Would you rather have them slightly snug, or a little large? Measuring myself according to sizing charts, depending on the brand, I'm right about a 46, so if you know anybody selling, I'm in the market! :) but 46 isn't available to rent from Mid-Ohio.

Also, is anybody here planning on going? the event isn't on NESBA or STT, it's from the Mid-Ohio school, so does that make it any different?

thanks for your help, guys!

Mido only runs their own days.

You want the leathers somewhat snug but keep in mind if you plan to put a back or chest protecter (at some point in the future) in they may not if the suit is too snug without them.

From the mido site on the boots.

All riders must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver's license.

Damage free DOT or SNELL full-face helmet with face shield.

Riding boots that fully cover the ankle.

Gauntlet style gloves with full wrist coverage.

One or two piece leathers. Two piece leather suits must zip together for intermediate or advanced groups. Ballistic nylon suits such as Joe Rocket, AeroStitch etc. are acceptable in the Novice and Intermediate Group only provided they are either one piece or zip together with at least 50% zipper contact with reinforced and padded shoulders, elbows, hips, and knee areas. No chaps.

Advanced and Intermediate group riders MUST WEAR A BACK PROTECTOR. Soft back pads sewn into suits are not enough. No back protector = no track time!

LEATHER RENTAL: Leathers can be rented from The Mid-Ohio School for your trackday. Leathers are available in sizes 40, 42, 44, 46 and 48 and provided by Tucker Rocky. Unsure of what size you need? Visit ssgear.com, go to the men's sizing chart for race suits and compare your measurements as illustrated on the chart

• Upvote 1

Pony has or had A-Star boots on sale for $130 which I think is a fair price. In my opinion if you can swing the extra cash get entry level racing boots because you can fit under your jeans for the road and they do not look bad.... not to mention offer great protection.

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp/ImageName/AYC11-SMX5-BOOT-BLUE.jpg/Brand/ALPINESTARS%20AYC/Class2/Footwear/Class3/Street%20Boots-Mens/Class1/

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=91786 - Worth every penny. I wear them on and off the track religiously.

I wouldn't skimp on the gloves either. Good feel on the controls really helps.

Rent your leathers until you're sure you like it.

Take the time to prep you bike properly and ahead of time and the day will go smoother as well.

+1 on the Alpinestar boots at Pony. I have a pair and I love them. I wear them on street and track too. They are 10x more comfortable than any regular boot I used for riding.

Rent leathers the first time and you'll get a feel of your sizing needs. It helped me be able to pick out my suit online and get it right the first time.

Bike prep is important too. I always have mine prepped for the next class ahead. That's a little tip Bdbgoalie gave me that made sense. When you're running down the back straight wide open you don't want things coming loose:thumbup:

i was looking at the vega sport II's for boots, and the AGV sport willow gloves. any thoughts? not to sound like a homo or anything, but that sale iron pony has on the alpinestars, they were all blue in my size, and that wouldn't match anything of mine, lol.

I like the idea of the bike prep thing. that's good thinking. which reminds me, I'm due up for an oil change. I tried out some repsol 4t oil last oil change, and i noticed a difference in feel of the shifting. it felt more..metallic and hard, i suppose. Do you think if i used a heavier weight oil, like 10w50, it would help smooth out the shifting? you don't think thats too heavy for regular street use, do you?

Edited by soad

Willows were nice but felt a bit clunky and poor feel compare to others. I chose the AGV Laguna. Icon Overlords would have been better but were more than I wanted to spend.

If you can do black and yellow, I have a pair of large Helimot H20 gloves (kind of funky looking) that I wore 4 times and gave up on. Just a bit too small for my hands. They are not fully broken in yet.

+1 on the Alpinestar boots at Pony. I have a pair and I love them. I wear them on street and track too. They are 10x more comfortable than any regular boot I used for riding.

Rent leathers the first time and you'll get a feel of your sizing needs. It helped me be able to pick out my suit online and get it right the first time.

Bike prep is important too. I always have mine prepped for the next class ahead. That's a little tip Bdbgoalie gave me that made sense. When you're running down the back straight wide open you don't want things coming loose:thumbup:

+1

Getting the sizing right is really important. The gear also fits differently in a race tuck with a bunch of stress and adrenaline flowing. For an example, my last suit was a bit too tight and the arm blew out in a lowside. No injuries sustained, but it could have been avoided easily.

A fresh oil change is always a good idea. Torquing and wiring bolts can be time consuming, but it makes sure everything is tight and secure. Unplugging all the lights means the tape will come off easily and not glue itself to the lenses. I'd put a premium on a good set of tires too.

Most important is go out and have fun. And enjoy the addiction.

Oil grade has little to do with the feeling of the gearbox. I run Rotella T6 or Mobil 5w40. I go one grade lighter to reduce engine wear at startup and it gives me a good feel at the shift lever. Both oils can be had for a bit over $20 and are compatible with a bikes wet clutch system even though they are "automotive" oils. A 50 grade would be a bit much for street use as the bikes cooling system regulates oil temp. You may justify it if you hit the track and run hard where oil temps will soar.

Read this article if you want to learn a lot about oil in general.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

not to sound like a homo or anything, but that sale iron pony has on the alpinestars, they were all blue in my size, and that wouldn't match anything of mine, lol.

who cares? they are great gloves. buy them.

I met 2 guys at a track day at Gingerman who painte their bikes yellow "because yellow gear is ALWAYS on close out!"

They had gotten amazing deals on their leathers.

LMFAO!!!!! thats genius!

I bought a used 2 piece alpinestars leathers. I'm pretty proud of myself, just wanted to let you guys know. Feel like batman(with a gut) wearing them, they're all black, lol.