WNF Trail difficulty?

ScubaCinci

Having never been to WNF before, I was wondering how difficult the trails are? I want to take my wife up to ride, me on the bike an her on the ATV, and she's definitely a novice rider. She's literally only ridden it around a field a few times (4x4 Rancher 420AT). It's several hours away for us so I don't want to get all the way up there and have it not be good for her.

Which trail set would be best to start on? The maps are a bit tough to read online but it looks likes each has spots marked "difficult" but that's a very subjective term. If they are truly tough, are there alternate routes to go around?

Thanks!

Depending on where you stay down there, is how bad it can get. The mroe difficult trails are down around Dorr Run. I always stay at Begleys ATV Campground ( up on the north side of the trails) and take the main corridor. I don't think they are hard trails but they aren't easy. I think your wife will do fine on these trails. Just have to take your time and watch out for other riders like every other place.

Not to difficult at all but there are some nice hills she will need to go up and down but if she takes it at her own pace she will not have any problems riding that quad.

For beginner I'd start in New Straitsville and go down the corridor. It's not as muddy, the trails have decent visibility (some hills, but nothing difficult at all) and traffic is usually less than around Dorr Run.

Wayne long ago removed anything technical. The only obstacles that will screw up a rider now are mudholes or ruts.

For beginner I'd start in New Straitsville and go down the corridor.

I agree with this as well. As it is pretty easy to navigate from the New Straitsville trail head to the main corridor. I took my wife down once last year, she did okay but didn't like the bridge crossing. She decided it was easier to navigate down through the creek with the 4 wheel drive and up the bank, instead of trying to keep the quad in the middle of the 4ft 2" bridges, lol. We road from trail head to Monday Creek trail head and back, it was a good ride, but I burned up 2nd gear, lol. Also there is a ATV loading dock at that trail head. So if you can fit both in the bed of a truck you would not need ramps to unload them.

I don't like going there because there is no difficulty. Groomed trails and every douche thinks he's a pro gncc racer there.

I take it you have never road the Cawthorn trail system, which is the south east small section by itself. Or Deer stand loop, or the mud bogs on the mine shaft trail, not to mention the hill climb at the end 1985 trail. Theses areas are far from groomed in my opinion. The trails over by Cawthorn were all but grown over last time I was there around 6 weeks ago.

I have rode them all. All are like back yard trails to me. Ill take Perry anyday. Could care less for the mud bogs. I like good technical hill climbs and tight woods trails. I do Hatfield McCoy a couple times a year, Ohio has nothing that compares to that. Wellsville is close but still no compare

I have rode them all. All are like back yard trails to me. Ill take Perry anyday. Could care less for the mud bogs. I like good technical hill climbs and tight woods trails. I do Hatfield McCoy a couple times a year, Ohio has nothing that compares to that. Wellsville is close but still no compare

Well aren't you just special!!!!:D

Perry sux! Too small and the pricks gave me a sppeding ticket in the parking lot. I wasn't going very fast (no speedo) and the ranger had no radar gun. Just jumped out of the woods and said I was speeding.

I would love to hit Hatfield McCoy in October!!
We can make that happen. You ever been there? I do Rock House and Bear Wallow if you have.
Perry sux! Too small and the pricks gave me a sppeding ticket in the parking lot. I wasn't going very fast (no speedo) and the ranger had no radar gun. Just jumped out of the woods and said I was speeding.

Perry is not small by any means. You need to go with someone who know the area to see it all, well over half of the trails are not marked or on the map.

We can make that happen. You ever been there? I do Rock House and Bear Wallow if you have.

Nope but was planning on trying to get something set up to go sometime this year and the weather in October is usually perfect!! we should start to plan a 4 or 5 day trip!

I assume that means you've been there and know what I speak of and would like to join me in Oct.

I am still a relative dirt noob, still trying to get my nerve up to do Wayne and others.:rolleyes: I really want to do Hatfield/McCoy one of these days!

I am still a relative dirt noob, still trying to get my nerve up to do Wayne and others.:rolleyes: I really want to do Hatfield/McCoy one of these days!

you would be fine at wayne, IMHO wayne is only more difficult the faster you go, if you take it easy it is easy, if your like us retards and haul ass it can be tricky

Perry is not small by any means. You need to go with someone who know the area to see it all, well over half of the trails are not marked or on the map.

Been all over that place many times. Then, I got a SPEEDING TICKET ON A FOUR WHEELER! Fuck that place.

Edited by max power

Been all over that place many times. Then, I got a SPEEDING TICKET ON A FOUR WHEELER! Fuck that place.

Yea it's not that big. And if they want they can get you for going off the marked trails there as well. and if you wonder off the marked trails at Perry you can easily end up in someones backyard.

What/where is that?

It's a trail system in W Va. broken into several areas. But really anywhere in the state is good trail riding. The whole state is nothing but trails from what I've seen. Although I have not riden on the Hatfield and Mccoy system I've rode what they call the outlaw trails around there a lot. I've seen plenty of video's of the trail system and have talked to people that have went. My family lives about 20 miles north on 52 from Williamson. Here's a link to one of many sites for the trail system.

http://www.trailsheaven.com/

And here's a video of me riding up a hill not many travel anymore, near my family's land.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkRGYA6JsLs&feature=plcp

I would love to hit Hatfield McCoy in October!!

If you all do this I might be tempted to drive down from where I stay, and ride a day with you all. But if it don't go down you and a few chosen ones could pull a trailer or two down by my family's land and rough it for a night or two. As long as your not apposed to the activities that you see. Just remember what happens in the holler stays in the holler. lol

Edited by M_Quick