iphone vs android

rick37

Just like to have peoples opinion on which phone you think is better and why,I am with sprint and I am thinking of switching out my evo4 to the iphone4..

thanks in advance

Edited by rick37
cause

I replaced my Evo with an iPhone 4 but, honestly, it's a toss up as to which is the better phone. The only exception has been with the Hotspot feature which has never worked right on my iPhone but was flawless on the Evo.

galaxy SIII has been my fave phone so far (very familiar with droid x, droid charge, iphone 4s, and a few others).

iphone 5 should be pretty good if rumors are true. i would also take a hard look at the razr maxx if you like battery life, or razr HD (or whatever it will be called).

iPhone! The droid hardware market is too fragmented to be supported by a single OS. You might find yourself in a situation where your brand new phone won't run the brand new phone OS. Apple has already announced that their next generation iOS will support phones back to the 3GS. Android doesn't give you that lifespan.

iPhone! The droid hardware market is too fragmented to be supported by a single OS. You might find yourself in a situation where your brand new phone won't run the brand new phone OS. Apple has already announced that their next generation iOS will support phones back to the 3GS. Android doesn't give you that lifespan.

In our ADD culture, we get bored with stuff too fast to worry about that. Most people want a new phone within a year or two.

In our ADD culture, we get bored with stuff too fast to worry about that. Most people want a new phone within a year or two.

True, but there a a bunch of android phones that don't make it through your 2 year contract before it won't run the newest version of the OS.

True, but there a a bunch of android phones that don't make it through your 2 year contract before it won't run the newest version of the OS.

You make a great case for not getting sucked into a contract.

When Apple can make a phone with a micro SD slot, micro-USB mass storage capability, and a battery that doesn't require tools, I'll consider them something other than a fashion accessory. All of those things make a phone something very fun to own...and a bitch when they don't.

I can dual-boot my phone with CM8, 7, or the OEM software. I can easily transfer files, or back up the phone, or load things without tethering to the phone. I can swap fresh batteries in, which means I can use my phone for a REAL gps in the back country, and I can charge it with a ubiquitous charger.

Fuck Apple's draconian proprietary and limited-featured devices.

This is why I will be ditching my S2 for an Iphone 5 when it comes out. We have three android devices in the house, and every single one of them turned to crap when they updated to ICS. The recommended solution was to do a factory rest and start over. :mad:

But for those of us who don't have that new device ADD, I want a phone that will go three-four years without having to be continuously messed with to stay working. Too many people get to stick their bits in to android updates before it gets sent to me as the end user, and I have yet to have one get to me in good working order.

Fuck Apple's draconian proprietary and limited-featured devices.

I felt that same way, and is why when we started down the smartphone/tablet path we avoided apple as well, but now look at it differently. I think this is a case of less is more. If you want to do all the stuff you posted, then yeah, apple ain't gonna work for you and you should buy android. But, for the majority of people, none of that stuff matters, so the simplicity and ease of the apple devices makes sense. Some of the stuff you posted were the same points I quoted to make fun of family members who had bought iphones, but in the year I have had my S2, I have yet to take the battery out of it, never put a card in it, never added memory, or any of the other things I said I needed to be able to do that apple wouldn't let me.

Apple is geared to the open the box and use it as is folks. Android is better for the geeks and nerds who want to tweak and mess with things.

As much as I want to pretend to be one of those people who mess with things and customize it how I want, in reality, I would rather have something I don't have to mess with and just use it.

Which is why I'm working on a deal to trade the Buell for a VFR. :D

How I've always explained it to people:

iPhones are for the technological idiots. If you haven't ever heard the word 'ping' or know what RAM is, it's probably for you.

Droids are for people who want the most out of their phone. You can do so much more when you know what you're doing.

So, for my vote, as a nerd, Droid. (I've had an iPhone for a full year+, and Droid for probably 3. So I'm not just spouting.)

How I've always explained it to people:

iPhones are for the technological idiots. If you haven't ever heard the word 'ping' or know what RAM is, it's probably for you.

Droids are for people who want the most out of their phone. You can do so much more when you know what you're doing.

So, for my vote, as a nerd, Droid. (I've had an iPhone for a full year+, and Droid for probably 3. So I'm not just spouting.)

Self proclaimed nerd? Cause that was a pretty ignorant statement... Also, food for thought, I have an iPhone that is jailbroken and can do everything your little "Tech Savy" Android phone can do... And yes, I was jailbreaking iPhones (iPhone 2G v1.1.4) when you actually had to do work (not just press a button).

**End Rant**

To answer the question at hand, it all depends on your "Eco System". If you use iTunes already and are vested in app purchases, songs, and video, then the iPhone is the way to go. However, If you are heavily reliant on google (use a lot of Google apps and/or Google voice) than Android is going to be your best bet (iTunes does have apps for these but most suck).

Also, something else to think about... Are you planning on getting a tablet? If you are and are going to go with an iPad, than get the iPhone. If you are getting an Android based Tablet than go with the Android based phone.

End result is the same, all phones now-a-days are very close in specs and features. Yes, there are little things that may be missing from one or the other but that doesn't change the fact that they are all are very close.

Self proclaimed nerd? Cause that was a pretty ignorant statement... Also, food for thought, I have an iPhone that is jailbroken and can do everything your little "Tech Savy" Android phone can do... And yes, I was jailbreaking iPhones (iPhone 2G v1.1.4) when you actually had to do work (not just press a button).

**End Rant**

To answer the question at hand, it all depends on your "Eco System". If you use iTunes already and are vested in app purchases, songs, and video, then the iPhone is the way to go. However, If you are heavily reliant on google (use a lot of Google apps and/or Google voice) than Android is going to be your best bet (iTunes does have apps for these but most suck).

Also, something else to think about... Are you planning on getting a tablet? If you are and are going to go with an iPad, than get the iPhone. If you are getting an Android based Tablet than go with the Android based phone.

End result is the same, all phones now-a-days are very close in specs and features. Yes, there are little things that may be missing from one or the other but that doesn't change the fact that they are all are very close.

Can you access its filesystem easily, even jailbroken? *Checkmate* (Unless I'm wrong.)

I never said "You CAN'T do 'nerd' things on an iPhone." Mine was jailbroken as well. Regardless if you can, it's not as easy to do said things. And you STILL can't do as much. Hell, with Android, you can [basically] make your own operating system. Apple is a proprietary mess of #!$% and even jailbroken, at least from my iPhone experience, you're still stuck with memory-hogging iTunes to change/add anything.

If you like being restricted to Apple's will, that's your prerogative. I just find iOS almost TOO dumbed-down. Just because I say they are right for "technological idiots" doesn't mean that a technologically competent person shouldn't have one.