considering swapping bikes

smashweights

Not really concerned for storage, just something i wouldn't mind riding for 4-5 hours on some day trips. The R6 just has me cringing at the thought of 3+ hour rides. Not a huge fan of the sport tourers or touring bikes from a styling perspective anyway. The NC700x isn't a bad looking bike.

Anyone own a victory who can comment on the comfort and ride?

I should also mention, my entire in-law family (extended, and grandparents) are all living in and from a small town in Iowa, so buying a bike made in Iowa would score some brownie points.

This may help. Victory test ride.

http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/test-ride/contact-information.aspx

Going from a sportbike to a cruiser is weird it takes awhile to get used to the lower redline and lack of any real powerband. Even the fastest cruisers are slow compared to most bikes. About a year and a half ago I traded my 07 cbr in for a yamaha stratoliner. It was a quick cruiser but it felt like going from a sports car to a cadillac. It was comfortable and handled great for its size it was just lacking in performance overall. But it was awesomely comfortable and massive. I pretty much regreted getting rid of the cbr although the cruiser way of riding was fun just different.

Are cruisers typically not comfortable to ride?

Jeez, cruisers are all about comfortable. A sofa on wheels. Lay back enjoy the day.

Not really concerned for storage, just something i wouldn't mind riding for 4-5 hours on some day trips. ---- The NC700x isn't a bad looking bike.

Ok - big hint going on here. --Day Trips

This may help. Victory test ride.

http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/test-ride/contact-information.aspx

Going from a sportbike to a cruiser is weird it takes awhile to get used to the lower redline and lack of any real powerband. Even the fastest cruisers are slow compared to most bikes. About a year and a half ago I traded my 07 cbr in for a yamaha stratoliner. It was a quick cruiser but it felt like going from a sports car to a cadillac. It was comfortable and handled great for its size it was just lacking in performance overall. But it was awesomely comfortable and massive. I pretty much regretted getting rid of the cbr although the cruiser way of riding was fun just different.

Exactly that. Its a different style of riding. Performance is really not part of the equation. Just big torque. Pull the bike along at 50mph. 0-60? Who cares?

Been riding a bunch of years and really the only way for sanity is with the multi bike syndrome. (MBS) The core of it has to be a least 2 bikes - a sport/sporty bike plus a cruiser. One to go fast, one to go slow. Sorta like sometimes you like steak, other days a pizza is good.

To the OP. One bike? Your talking VFR. Quasi comfortable. Great for day rides. Good all around performance. Weekend mountain twisty capable. Multi week touring if desired. Capable as commuter. Its a core bike.

Edited by mello dude

the NC700X is a boring, underpowered, cheaply built machine.

thats just my take on it. my buddy just got one. Naturally i had to ride it. it revved out very quick, was a struggle getting it to 80mph, no wind protection at all, some bits on the bike look like they belonged on a taiwanese bike.

It did have really good ergos, butter smooth engine and transmission, insane full mileage, pretty decent looks, awesome storage compartment, and price point is pretty damn good.

if you are gonna ride 2 up, id steer clear of it, its severally under powered.

Not really concerned for storage, just something i wouldn't mind riding for 4-5 hours on some day trips. The R6 just has me cringing at the thought of 3+ hour rides. Not a huge fan of the sport tourers or touring bikes from a styling perspective anyway. The NC700x isn't a bad looking bike.

I should also mention, my entire in-law family (extended, and grandparents) are all living in and from a small town in Iowa, so buying a bike made in Iowa would score some brownie points.

Victory ....... I take my bike to and from Cleveland fairly often. With my FZ6, I would stop at least twice to stretch out and uncramp. With the victory, I can reposition my feet along the boards and just cruise on through. Power deliver is exceptional as well. 40 MPG out of nearly 1800cc.

Instead of replacing the r6 why not try and make it more comfortable?

Part of the reason I'm considering a swap is I feel I'm wasting the R6. I always feel the need to ride racy because I know what the bike is, but rarely do I ride aggressively. In the end, I probably end up riding it more like a cruiser. I guess the best way to describe it is owning a Corvette when all you spend most of your time doing is commuting and sightseeing.

Going from a sportbike to a cruiser is weird it takes awhile to get used to the lower redline and lack of any real powerband. Even the fastest cruisers are slow compared to most bikes. About a year and a half ago I traded my 07 cbr in for a yamaha stratoliner. It was a quick cruiser but it felt like going from a sports car to a cadillac. It was comfortable and handled great for its size it was just lacking in performance overall. But it was awesomely comfortable and massive. I pretty much regreted getting rid of the cbr although the cruiser way of riding was fun just different.
Does a 97 HP v-twin really feel that much less powerful than a 108 HP sportbike? I get that I wouldn't have that shit your pants acceleration to 140 mph anymore, but will that really feel underpowered?
oh yeah and my vote

Ducati Multistrada 1200

I'm still open to a few of the Ducs, the Sport Classic and Monster are still on my short list. Just reviewing my options.
Been riding a bunch of years and really the only way for sanity is with the multi bike syndrome. (MBS) The core of it has to be a least 2 bikes - a sport/sporty bike plus a cruiser. One to go fast, one to go slow. Sorta like sometimes you like steak, other days a pizza is good.
Right now, Multi Bike Syndrome is focused on getting my wife on a bike, which she just recently shocked me by saying she was interested in getting her own and take the MSF course. So MBS means getting her off the back of mine and on to her own. I'll probably have multiples in the future when we both start our real careers and make some real money, but right now it's just not gonna happen. I'll be lucky if I can talk her into letting me spend more than my current bike is worth on a single bike, let alone having nearly $10k tied up into two bikes. Yeah mancard, I know. :rolleyes: Edited by smashweights

Granted, my FZ6 isn't an R6, but I really don't feel an acceleration disadvantage. Instead of feeling the need to rip light to light, it has a much more relaxed gearing. The disadvantage comes when doing a u-turn un the driveway in order to back in. But my Victory is a 750 lb bagger.

I really liked my Triumph Speed Triple but had to sell. I could not ride that bike without breaking the speed limit. I swear I tried, but I just could not keep the front end on the ground or the speed under 100 mph. If I was able to ride the bike sensibly, then I definitely would have kept it. It seems like a great all around bike.

I also had an 2010 FJR 1300. Man, I really liked that bike. It had lots of speed, torque, etc. Very stable at speed. Good weather protection. But, I could not get comfortable on it. It was just a little too sporty. I tried, barbacks, seat, etc. So, I sold it and bought a BMW r1200rt. Fits me like a glove.

However, I will always highly recommend the FJR to someone who wants a good all around bike that plans on doing some weekend touring trips.

I also love my Bonnie... But I put a sidecar on it.

Chris

Its all about what you want out of a bike. From what I hear, if you want a really great bike, buy a BMW. If you want to scream fast, buy a sportbike like a Hayabusa, or crotch rocket as some call them. Rocket is right because they scream. Me I wouldn't own one. I've ridden them and they are far too uncomfortable for me. But many others love them. Then there are the sportbikes that allow the rider to sit up, are damned fast, corner like a banshee, but imho, do not have the long distance riding comfort that most cruisers or touring bikes have. Those cruisers and touring bikes are great bikes too but with them you give up most of the cornering and speed advantages that sportbikes offer.

With Harleys, don't get stuck thinking you have to buy a sportster. Check out the Dyna family. Those are cruisers that blend in some touring with some sportiness, but never think you are riding a true sport bike. There is no comparison. I have ridden my Wide Glide on 5000 mile trips, get 50 mpg whether loaded down or not, but also use it to scoot around town.

Bottomline is get out and ride different style bikes, different brand bikes, and decide on what feels best to you while fitting into whatever style of riding you want to do.

And don't pay much attention to the fact that you are not going to get much if any love around here if and when you mention buying a Harley. Lots of haters here who openly badmouth the brand. Those people have little to no class.

Victory ....... I take my bike to and from Cleveland fairly often. With my FZ6, I would stop at least twice to stretch out and uncramp. With the victory, I can reposition my feet along the boards and just cruise on through. Power deliver is exceptional as well. 40 MPG out of nearly 1800cc.

Did you have the stock seat? If so I agree with you 100%. I put the Corbin on and never had comfort issues again.

I dig your Victory. I've had the same thoughts as up, with not being Ricky rocket all the time. I'd love a cruiser, but besides no cash flow for another I still love my FZ6.

• Upvote 1

I must have no class then, and 3/4 of cruisers handle like shit and they are boring as hell to ride.........I mean putt putt around on. Ride and own what ya like, but why they are so popular is beyond me.

Edited by Pokey

[quote name=smashweights;913441

Does a 97 HP v-twin really feel that much less powerful than a 108 HP sportbike? I get that I wouldn't have that shit your pants acceleration to 140 mph anymore' date=' but will that really feel underpowered?

Right now, Multi Bike Syndrome is focused on getting my wife on a bike, which she just recently shocked me by saying she was interested in getting her own and take the MSF course. So MBS means getting her off the back of mine and on to her own. I'll probably have multiples in the future when we both start our real careers and make some real money, but right now it's just not gonna happen. I'll be lucky if I can talk her into letting me spend more than my current bike is worth on a single bike, let alone having nearly $10k tied up into two bikes. Yeah mancard, I know. :rolleyes:

The difference in the feeling of power is due to the power to weight ratio and gearing. The big cruisers I've ridden feel very sluggish. The lack of rpms is noticeable just when you feel the power start to kick in you hit the rev limiter. I think the most comfortable bikes for long distance are the touring bikes like the multistrada the kawi concours the bmw whatever it is. Look at the guys who ride looong rides like from Maine to southern California type rides. Those guys most often have the touring bikes mentioned above.

Is your r6 paid off? If so buy some cheap fairings a good set of sliders and lower it for your wife to learn on. As long as she is responsible with the throttle she'll be ok. Especially if someone else is teaching. Why sell a bike that she could use to learn on and you can take out when you feel the bug for a "spirited ride"?

Edited by cOoTeR

The difference in the feeling of power is due to the power to weight ratio and gearing. The big cruisers I've ridden feel very sluggish. The lack of rpms is noticeable just when you feel the power start to kick in you hit the rev limiter. I think the most comfortable bikes for long distance are the touring bikes like the multistrada the kawi concours the bmw whatever it is. Look at the guys who ride looong rides like from Maine to southern California type rides. Those guys most often have the touring bikes mentioned above.

Is your r6 paid off? If so buy some cheap fairings a good set of sliders and lower it for your wife to learn on. As long as she is responsible with the throttle she'll be ok. Especially if someone else is teaching. Why sell a bike that she could use to learn on and you can take out when you feel the bug for a "spirited ride"?

The thought had crossed my mind to make the R6 hers, but I dont know how comfortable I'd feel with her on it as a first bike. But I guess we'll see. I'm not looking to get something anytime soon, but if she likes riding the R6 and can handle it, that's a distinct possibility.

Big hp cruisers are heavy, and the gear ratios just aren't right for sportbike like acceleration

I did a demo ride on a Yamaha Raider (or whatever the 1800+ cc model is...) and it felt a out the same acceleration wise as the EX500 I rode to the event. The Internet confirmed my but dyno. The extra 1300 cc's make the Raider about 2 tenths of a second quicker to 60 (an advantage it gives up within a quarter mile.)

With all that said, I vote for some kind of standard like an FZ1 or something similar.

For what it's worth, I have an 05 SV650 with some Givi saddle bags that I ride 2-up and have gone for day-long rides through the hills on multiple occations. Both me and my girlfriend were fine with it. I ride it every day to work and I wouldn't hesitate to ride it across the country. I also have no wind protection or plastic. Enough power and great handling with great fuel economy.

I rented a modern Bonneville in Honolulu last year and found it to be a wonderful 2-up bike and we rode all day on twisties, in traffic, and sweepers all over Oahu. I'd happily own one of those. I felt the power was fine. Get some saddle bags stiffer front springs and you'll have a cool mini sport-tourer. And although I haven't sat one one, I imagine a Moto Guzzi V7 is very similar. So those would get my vote for what you're after.

Usuall when I rent, I get an HD Heritage Softtail. It's not bad but I would never want to own one. I wouldn't try pushing it as there is zero front end feel. Of course, I still try and ride it like a sportbike which it isn't. Comfy for cruising, too plush for twisties for my taste. But they're fine bike for what they're designed to do. Rent one and see for yourself if you want to try a big cruiser, they're usually $150/day.

If you are looking for an inexpensive comfortable commuter with decent storage look at a Honda NC700X...if I had the $$$ for a second bike I would own one for sure.

I agree with the Honda NC700X. You sound like a perfect candidate for one. These bikes are really making a great impression with everyone who rides them. 70-80 mpg, great storage, upright riding position...

The 696 is the rich man's SV650.

Obviously there's a bit more than the Ducati decal and the extra 46cc's that make it more expensive than an SV650, but not enough to justify the price IMHO.

Pauly's wife has or had a 696. Personally, I'd prefer more power if it was an option. Air-cooling keeps things a bit tame in the hp department. Monster 900, you'd have me sold.