My bike is broke and I need some help :(

ShankroidBeast

Let me preface this by saying I'm a dumb-ass. My battery was dead on my 1995 Honda Magna 750, carb, not fuel injected. So it tried to charge it with a 10 amp 12 volt marine battery charger. I figured 12v is 12v. Obviously I did something very stupid. After I did that I have nothing when I turn the key to on/start, no lights nothing. I checked all the fuses I could find and none of them are blown. I downloaded the manual and read it. My only guess is that I need to replace the voltage regulator? Is that what needs to be replaced? I'm at a loss here and any help or enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Most battery tenders are 750 Milli-amp to MAYBE 2 amps at the most. You may have done a little over kill with the 10 amp charger. The voltage regulator MIGHT be cooked, you MIGHT have literally baked a wire somewhere, as those wires aren't used to having 10 amps going through them. Depending on the age of the battery, it might be just hosed and not able to take any kind of charge. Just a few thoughts.

Start off with a volt meter.

Measure the battery, what is the voltage?

Measure on each side of any fuse, the voltage across the fuse should be 0v.

If it is 12v the fuse is blown.

Get some numbers and get back to us, we'll help as best as we can over the keyboard.

Edited by Strictly Street
added link

Major wiring like ignition, headlights and tail light/brake light will handle 10amps ok. But generally don't charge or jump a battery with the ignition on.

Considering the battery was weak or bad to begin with, it may have malfunctioned after charging with 10amp. That would have heated a small battery quite a bit. Most batteries would have survived in a damaged condition, but usable. A weak battery might not.

The volt meter needs to check for proper voltage on the battery. Autozone or other store will check it if you don't have a volt meter. A fresh charge will show 14.5v - 15.5v. That will drop to maybe 13.5-14.5v in a few hours. 12.5v is a minimum. Anything less than about 10.5v is probably a lost cause.

Most battery tenders are 750 Milli-amp to MAYBE 2 amps at the most. You may have done a little over kill with the 10 amp charger. The voltage regulator MIGHT be cooked, you MIGHT have literally baked a wire somewhere, as those wires aren't used to having 10 amps going through them. Depending on the age of the battery, it might be just hosed and not able to take any kind of charge. Just a few thoughts.

As has been mentioned, a battery tender is not a charger, it's a maintainer. A 10 amp charge for a couple hours should be just fine with most motorcycle batteries. If the ignition is off, and you have the charger connected to the battery posts, a 10 amp charger will most likely not do anything to the electrical system, especially on a carburated bike.

This is nothing a volt meter can't track down. Google "voltage drop test" and watch a few videos. They'll be on cars but the principal is the same. Start running the meter down the line, across fuses, etc, until you find the dead spot or component.

If I can do it a self proclaimed dumb ass can do it.

Did you tell the battery your 30lbs heavier with the same waist at an attempt to scare the battery?

I'm sorry dude. I really am. It's been a very long time since I've been on this forum. I posted some real asswipe, stupid, asinine posts. I was drinking heavily back then and smoking a lot of pot.

I've been clean for almost a year. no alcohol, no pot, just adenine.

I was a real asshole I know, but that was a long time ago, I'm a different person now.

• Upvote 4

I'm sorry dude. I really am. It's been a very long time since I've been on this forum. I posted some real asswipe, stupid, asinine posts. I was drinking heavily back then and smoking a lot of pot.

I was a real asshole I know, but that was a long time ago, I'm a different person now.

Good for you man!;) You could always drop the bike off to Hoblick, or I am sure he could make a house call to see what he can figure out for you?

I've shot a bike battery with 10amps but only for less than 30 min to jumpstart it to sell the bike, but a Tender is great when you know the bike will sit for a while or a season. It cycles the battery and keeps it fresh and ready. Check the voltage, under 11v just get a new battery. If there's still an issue, check with Hoblick - but like everyone else is saying, its probably the battery. They can cause some quirpy shit with a bike, carbed or not.

This deserves some +rep. Congrats.

I'm embarrassed to say it did the same thing to my GSXR 600. My project bike. It was running pretty good and i hooked it up to my charger. Same thing happened. I guess I toasted that battery or something else too. I really appricate all your comments and suggestions. I'll have to dig up my volt meter and do some tests.

Thanks again for all your help, gave me new directions in my troubleshooting :)

Actually, it's been more like 4 months vs a year for your last round of shenanigans.

Try reading post #95 for kicks and grins

Im willing to let the past go as long as he has changed like he said. Everyone deserves a second chance until they prove otherwise.

With that being said here are few things

If the battery is 100% dead, i.e. Shot, no amount of charging will help.

10,20, even 50amp engine start will not harm a battery as long as its not left on for an extended period and you have no other wiring issues.

Are you sure you hooked up the leads correctly. Charging in reverse will smoke a battery in a heartbeat.

FYI, I use 10amp all the time and even 50amp start if I need to.

• Upvote 1