Looking for help/advice...

tall_tracy

I've just started riding this spring & have been doing okay with city streets but haven't felt confident enough to venture onto the highway. And given the nearest highway is 480, which is four lanes with lots of traffic, I don't want to put myself in a situation I'm not ready for. Does anyone have any advice?

Freeways are one of the safest places to be. But not in heavy traffic. Have another motorcycle lead you on a couple of trips on the highway. In light or no traffic, to get started finding a comfort zone.

Learn how to stop from those speeds. And learn the differences in maneuvering.

• Upvote 1

Freeways are one of the safest places to be. But not in heavy traffic. Have another motorcycle lead you on a couple of trips on the highway. In light or no traffic, to get started finding a comfort zone.

Perfect advise

This^^^

Everyone going in the same direction, no old ladies turning left in front of you, multiple escape lanes, plenty of time to react to traffic changes.... much safer in my opinion.

Oh, and learn to eyeball drivers, to see which ones are on phones when they shouldn't be. Those are the ones that drift out of lanes or change lanes without signaling.

The semi trucks are ok, but passing on the right is the big blind spot. Try to stay on the left, and don't linger when passing big trucks. Dump trucks and similar should be given a wide avoidance, because junk falls off rather often.

track day.

motoseries. $150. unless i'm riding, you can borrow my leathers.

You'll learn more in 1 day on the track than I did in 3 years on the street. That's a guarantee.

You'll be comfortable at highway speeds, or roughly double highway speeds. AND you'll know how to handle hard braking from 100+ mph, as well as how to corner at speeds that you won't (legally) encounter on the streets.

As has been stating, freeway riding is easiest - the bike is more stable at higher speeds, everyone is going the same direction with no intersections, and speed differentials are relatively low.

My advice would be don't dwell next to anyone, yet alone in their blind spot. No cruise control races, just get by them.

I applaud the fact that you are honest with your ability and are somewhat nervous. That's a good thing as you will be VERY attentive while out there.

But, to answer your question, I would take the MSF course as soon as possible. And, it hopefully will not be a deal like some others on this site that end up acting like they know more than anyone here as they start out. A lot of great suggestions on here and the MSF is the top of the list.

I'd wait on the track day until you somewhat master the ideas and principles of riding a motorcycle and the MSF will teach that straight away. Once comfortable, I then would take a track day if desired. We see a lot of newbie riders and they aren't learning a whole lot as I believe they come to the track too soon and have WAY too much to absorb to learn anything...

Take your time, ask questions, ride with others that are SMART and will either help you along or are patient enough to assist a new rider as they progress. Finding someone at a similar level and riding together also sometimes works rather well, but at minimum, try and find someone that has experience so you do not start to develop bad habits...

Good luck!

:mad: I take offence to that comment :mad:

He's joking. GSXR riders tend to be the most common which means, they have the most squids in the % of riders out there also.

I raced several years with GSXRs and can tell you it has nothing to do with what he stated. But, it is also a bit true as many are squids and unfortunately, they tend to ride GSXRs due to the popularity of the brand.

There are plenty of examples of squids on other brands. Trust me...

Hit me up if you want a tow around 480. As stated, it is one of the safest places because everyone is traveling in the same direction and nobody is trying to make a left in front of you. My pro tip is simple: keep moving in traffic. Whether that is passing or just moving within your lane (you have 3 available lanes for every 1 car lane plus acceleration/deceleration). The only times I have almost been hit on the freeway is when I became complacent in commuter traffic and stayed stationary and those around me forgot I was there.

He's joking. GSXR riders tend to be the most common which means, they have the most squids in the % of riders out there also.

I raced several years with GSXRs and can tell you it has nothing to do with what he stated. But, it is also a bit true as many are squids and unfortunately, they tend to ride GSXRs due to the popularity of the brand.

There are plenty of examples of squids on other brands. Trust me...

I was just fucking around...maybe the over use of smiley's made me come of serious. But I do agree, there are squids on all brands, and the popularity makes GSXR's stand out.

IMO the highway is not much different than everywhere else, you have to pay attention to all the drivers around you and be prepared to counter any mistake they make. Dont stay beside cars/trucks/tractor trailers if you can. Avoid blind spots like the plague. When you are passing do it quickly. Watch out for on/offramps because thats where the idiots like to show themselves. Dont tailgate; pass. Always check your own blindspots when changing lanes/merging. Basically, practice good driving etiquette and be prepared for those who don't.

Ugh I remember when I jumped on the freeway for the first time. At least you have a 650. I was on my little dinky Ninja 250. The damn thing struggled at those speeds, BUT I survived as I'm sure you will once you overcome the anxiety.

Thanks for all the response - lots of good info.

I took the MSF course in the fall of 2009, that's how I got my license - I had so much fun during the class & I had never spent more than an hour or two total on a tiny Honda 50 not so many years ago - kinda looked like a clown car, only with 2 wheels and knees in my chin, so HOT! :eek:

And thank you for the offers of help - I can actually use it, I don't really have friends that ride & having been doing everything solo since I got my bike.