there isnt one bike that will do everything

Hoblick

A VFR800 is certainly nothing to sneeze at, though I doubt I'd last long with clip-on handlebars.

oh I absolutely love my VFR, it was just up until right around the time this was originally posted I had bought and sold 4 other bikes in 2 years of riding :D

I've got heli-bars and never ridden with stock so I'm not sure, but I was coming for a couple 600RR's and a 636 so it was like night and day for me

It's all about core strength... get your abs in shape, and ST clip-ons become easy...

wind-protection affects how much weight is or isn't on your wrists as well.

I have never ridden a naked bike for long highway trips, but others have claimed that the wind in your chest at 70mph actually takes some weight off your wrists.  the trade-off is neck fatigue, but I've had that on bikes with fairings anyway... 

• Upvote 1

It's all about core strength... get your abs in shape, and ST clip-ons become easy...

although this is accurate I LOL at this cause every one knows the only shape I am in is ROUND

Edited by Bad324

wind-protection affects how much weight is or isn't on your wrists as well.

I have never ridden a naked bike for long highway trips, but others have claimed that the wind in your chest at 70mph actually takes some weight off your wrists.  the trade-off is neck fatigue, but I've had that on bikes with fairings anyway... 

Yeah, I've never ridden a naked bike with clip-ons for any length of time either... the XX has a short enough double bubble that i do get some wind in my chest, but it's not what i would consider a major factor on ride comfort as far as wrist fatigue is concerned.... The biggest difference for me was using my legs and core to support my weight, not the handle bars.... once i got that under control, I've done long (cross country) trips with no pain.

I agree with the basic premise of this thread that one bike cannot be great at everything, but I think there are some that can be great at most things, and good at the rest.

I would look at the following categories of riding (personally)

- 'adventure' (i.e. off-road, but not trying to hit MX style jumps)

- touring

- sport riding (track, backroads, etc.)

- commuting (pretty similar to touring, except that the shorter distance makes additional wind protection and heft kind of pointless)

- 2-up ability (for when the wife demands that she have some meaningful stake in the money pit sitting in your garage...)

- hooliganism (aka acceleration, burnout, and wheelie ability)

As noted, I don't think any one bike can be great at all those things, but I think a lot of bikes can be modified so that they're great at a few, and good at the rest.  My question is which type of bike (specific model not necessary) is the best base to start with?

would you rather put clip-ons on an adventure bike, or dirt-bars on a supersport? (and so on.)

I agree with the basic premise of this thread that one bike cannot be great at everything, but I think there are some that can be great at most things, and good at the rest.

I would look at the following categories of riding (personally)

- 'adventure' (i.e. off-road, but not trying to hit MX style jumps)

- touring

- sport riding (track, backroads, etc.)

- commuting (pretty similar to touring, except that the shorter distance makes additional wind protection and heft kind of pointless)

- 2-up ability (for when the wife demands that she have some meaningful stake in the money pit sitting in your garage...)

- hooliganism (aka acceleration, burnout, and wheelie ability)

As noted, I don't think any one bike can be great at all those things, but I think a lot of bikes can be modified so that they're great at a few, and good at the rest.  My question is which type of bike (specific model not necessary) is the best base to start with?

would you rather put clip-ons on an adventure bike, or dirt-bars on a supersport? (and so on.)

the answer is in the first post.

multistrada (the 2013 has a much better seat and suspension than Ryan's did back then)

Bandit 1200 does everything pretty well. 100 hp stock, 120 piped and jetted. Wind protection is decent, givi makes a touring pack for it, with some cheap upgrades the suspension can handle spirited sport riding, lovely low end power for in town commuting, decent ergos for long rides, and it was pretty much made for hooliganism with 80 lbs of torque. You can't roll on 1st gear without standing one up. It's maybe not super awesome stock but there is a lot of potential to be unlocked in the motor and a busa shock bolts right in. The motors are goddamn bullet proof and easy to work on and parts are shared between 2 generations of gsxr, almost all katanas and 2 generations of bandits so if you fuck something up, ebay has you covered.

Edited by CrazySkullCrusher

• 2 weeks later...

LoL... how many of us still have the bikes we talked about in this buried thread?

Still have my same 3.  Adding to my comment from last year, I've discovered in my travels that my SV handles 2-up riding off road pretty well too!

• Upvote 1

I don't even remember what bike(s) I owned when this thread began.

I think I'm officially sold on having 3 sub-$2k bikes rather than trying to do everything with a $6k+ bike.

I'm only up to 2 at the moment, but they cost a combined $975, so I'm getting good value at least :-P

I've had the same bike for 13 years I can't seem to get rid of it even when I try. My next bike is gonna be a ninja 1000 with the hard bags. Someone finally made a bike that I have been looking for for year. A lighter weight sporty sport touring bike with good power and a inline four.

the answer is in the first post.

multistrada (the 2013 has a much better seat and suspension than Ryan's did back then)

So you're claiming that a faired standard is the best starting point for a do-it-all bike?

I was leaning more toward a naked sportbike with a touring wind screen and dirt bars.  17" wheels open up tire choices for pretty much any type of riding.  Basically, an FZ6 with upgraded suspension and luggage.

So you're claiming that a faired standard is the best starting point for a do-it-all bike?

I was leaning more toward a naked sportbike with a touring wind screen and dirt bars.  17" wheels open up tire choices for pretty much any type of riding.  Basically, an FZ6 with upgraded suspension and luggage.

id agreed with that statement.

a faired standard is the way to go.