Something doesn't look right here

TheBrown57

I like the idea of light mass, but aluminum for a sprocket gives me the creeps.

I did get one of those fancy aluminum with steel teeth, and will install it next time I need one.

It looked like they might be dropped for my bike, so I grabbed one.

But I also bought a plain steel sprocket in case I change my mind.

No big deal, I got two bikes they fit on.

edit: what I picked up is a Supersprox. And they didn't stop making them to fit mine.

Aluminum with steel teeth riveted together.

Their kit uses RK chain. Kit is 330.57 and rear sprocket alone is 89.95

RST302-43.png

Edited by ReconRat

I wouldn't get that chain but I would the sprocket. JT is well known for sprockets. steel so it will last you a long while.

Stick to the brand names for the chain.

EK is typically the less expensive and well known.

but RK, DID, Regina, renthal and Tsubaki are some of the top of the line chains.

don't forget a front sprocket. JT makes those too.

Edited by serpentracer
  • Upvote 1

Shopping cart

JT Front and Rear sprockets

EK 530 110link chain

$80 from Amazon

Currently contacting local shops for prices

Thanks for the help guys!

Now who wants to help me put these damn things on? :D

Make sure you're getting all 530 or all 520 conversion stuff.

Amazon is getting bad about not making it clear what the hell they are selling.

You would have to cross check the manufacturer's part number,

and even then, who knows what will get shipped.

edit: some of us have found good prices, low cost chain kits here: http://www.indysuperbike.com/

Edited by ReconRat

Make sure you're getting all 530 or all 520 conversion stuff.

Amazon is getting bad about not making it clear what the hell they are selling.

You would have to cross check the manufacturer's part number,

and even then, who knows what will get shipped.

Will do

I was mainly using Amazon to find prices.

More than likely going to get it from a local place today after work.

https://www.motomummy.com/store/home.php?cat=601

I put the Driven Evo-Spec 520 kit with the EK MVXZ chain on my R6 this spring and it's been great. Great kit prices from motomummy. All-steel sprockets and X-ring chain is definitely a good choice.

Edited by smashweights

Man, thats one seriously thrashed sprocket. Did you notice it fish hookin' at all lately? These things typically dont just fail all of a sudden.

I really wish I'd have looked at it at Kilkare the other night while we were checking out the bikes, even though nothing detrimental happened I could have given you a heads-up on parking the bike until.

I would go with the steels for sure if you want cheap and stout replacements like these guys are saying.

I put a Vortex on my wife's 250, but we're only talking 20lb.ft. of torque so it wont be a problem.

My 14 has always had steels and I usually run DID XRing Gold series chains, but I'm anal and change them out every few years anyway unless there's excessive wear before then. Definitely cant really overdo chain maintenance bro, always good to clean, lube, check adjustment frequently ( I scrub mine every few months and adjust a couple times between cleanings, unless I ride more than usual )

Everyone has their own opinions as to what they feel comfy running on their bikes. NinjaNick likes Vortex, and on a tuned 14?.....THAT'S saying something for aluminum sprockets. I dont dig 'em, and personally feel they're inferior to steel for heavy torque machines. But I also tend to discard my drivetrains before they're ever given a chance to fail, so I'm overkilling but it keeps my demons at bay :D

All in all, the price difference isn't much, so its your call on what you use......but for the kind of miles you ride, I would go with the heavier equipment imo.

Found out previous chain was a 520 (I'm guessing cause it was smaller than the 530)

Up on the lift

D795661E-6C95-4C08-A38F-86433F28952B-16413-00000E5BE08203B7.jpg

Sizing up new chain

E6A9F3DC-93BB-4B08-8277-ADECC0FA99CA-16413-00000E5BDCA357F3.jpg

Big thanks to AFJ race shop for getting the parts in so fast and at a great price to!!

Went with JT steel sprockets and I can't recall the chain brand but it was $100

best guess: On aluminum sprockets, there is a surface hardening to make them last, against the steel of the chain. Once that is worn through, I'm guessing the sprocket can wear very fast. This is what your old one looks like.

edit: Also a sign of a low cost aluminum sprocket, that was relying on surface hardening and not the actual material strengths of the sprocket itself.

Edited by ReconRat