My Harley Experience

donkason

I'm in Myrtle Beach for vacation and I didn't get my VTX1800 together in time to bring with me. No biggie I found 2 places that rent Harley's. I stopped into one to inquire and I received the Harley dealer attitude I've only heard about. This was my first time in a Harley sales floor. I'm sure they deal with tourists squids all day long but they didn't give me a chance. I'm sure I could out ride 99% of the employees and patrons, but I digress.

The lady walks to the counter, after a nice wait, in full Harley gear, boots, leather vest, skin tight jeans, Harley bandanna, etc. I ask about an Electra Glide for some touring. After rambling off surprisingly high prices she snapped at me and said, "don't have any and don't know when they'll be back. You can call everyday and check and I don't know how long you are staying so it's hard telling." No sorry we are out, no we can call you if one comes available, no thank you, goodbye, referral, nothing. She did say they have a Sportster. I almost said it's bad enough I have to ride a Harley in the first place, let alone a Sportster. That was the rudest I've ever been treated in a bike shop. She had a general tone of disgust that I was in her presence.

So I went to the other Harley place and a cute little Mexican counter girl, who didn't have HD tattooed on her leather skinned forehead, hooked me up with a smile, went over packages, bikes in stock, insurance, etc. She brought me in the back to sit on my two choices to narrow it down. I did business with her needless to say.

Lucky for me I'm a metric bike/crotch rocket buyer only and I've never had this experience even when I was a dumb squid. Now to see if a $20000+ bike can compare to my 9 year old Honda.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

So what did you end up renting? Street Glide? I currently own my first Harley, and fortunately, the closest dealer to me seems to be full of pretty cool people. I'd recommend Powder Keg HD to anyone in the market that was interested in a new or used Harley. They do a bike night every Friday throughout the summer, and despite being held at a Harley dealer, all makes are welcome. It really seems Powder Keg's ownership/management "gets it". They seem to have pretty aggressively priced used bikes, a good selection of new and used, and they understand that every person on the lot and through the doors is a potential sale.

I have run into the stereotypical Harley Dealership in Tri-County HD. I won't be going back there.

So what did you end up renting? Street Glide? I currently own my first Harley, and fortunately, the closest dealer to me seems to be full of pretty cool people. I'd recommend Powder Keg HD to anyone in the market that was interested in a new or used Harley. They do a bike night every Friday throughout the summer, and despite being held at a Harley dealer, all makes are welcome. It really seems Powder Keg's ownership/management "gets it". They seem to have pretty aggressively priced used bikes, a good selection of new and used, and they understand that every person on the lot and through the doors is a potential sale.

I have run into the stereotypical Harley Dealership in Tri-County HD. I won't be going back there.

:plus1: for Powder Keg, Couple of friends and a relative goes to the bike nite all the time and I've never heard anything bad about the place

I'm in Myrtle Beach for vacation and I didn't get my VTX1800 together in time to bring with me. No biggie I found 2 places that rent Harley's. I stopped into one to inquire and I received the Harley dealer attitude I've only heard about. This was my first time in a Harley sales floor. I'm sure they deal with tourists squids all day long but they didn't give me a chance. I'm sure I could out ride 99% of the employees and patrons, but I digress.

The lady walks to the counter, after a nice wait, in full Harley gear, boots, leather vest, skin tight jeans, Harley bandanna, etc. I ask about an Electra Glide for some touring. After rambling off surprisingly high prices she snapped at me and said, "don't have any and don't know when they'll be back. You can call everyday and check and I don't know how long you are staying so it's hard telling." No sorry we are out, no we can call you if one comes available, no thank you, goodbye, referral, nothing. She did say they have a Sportster. I almost said it's bad enough I have to ride a Harley in the first place, let alone a Sportster. That was the rudest I've ever been treated in a bike shop. She had a general tone of disgust that I was in her presence.

So I went to the other Harley place and a cute little Mexican counter girl, who didn't have HD tattooed on her leather skinned forehead, hooked me up with a smile, went over packages, bikes in stock, insurance, etc. She brought me in the back to sit on my two choices to narrow it down. I did business with her needless to say.

Lucky for me I'm a metric bike/crotch rocket buyer only and I've never had this experience even when I was a dumb squid. Now to see if a $20000+ bike can compare to my 9 year old Honda.

Both experiences are not uncommon but I have never found it to be BRAND related. I can't even begin to count the number of motorcycle and bicycle dealerships I have walked into, been ignored or treated with disdain.

You did the right thing and found one that was willing to lend assistance.

Dealerships that primarily support European motorcycle brands generally seem to be better experiences.

It is so easy to identify the dealerships that really care and I have no problem supporting them.

I rode a RoadKing in 2007 and I really liked it. We had just put some Rinehart pipes and a tune to it. It was a dream of a ride' date=' honestly. My opinion is the HDs are better quality, in regards to fit/finish/hardware, but they're not worth the money they pull. However, I ride a $15k sport-tourer that is air-cooled, has zero creature comforts and looks like the love child of an Electrolux vacuum and a locomotive. So, take my opinion with a grain of salt.[/quote']

There is alot of metal on a harley. Fit and finish is superb, paint is top notch.

Are they overpriced? Yes indeed

Euro bikes have crazy technology in them, it amazing what things they are doing to bikes now.

Are they over priced? Yes

Just really where you want to spend the money, technology or appearance

• Upvote 1

Well, it looks like I'll never know what riding one is like. The Electra never came back in so I got a Heritage Soft Tail. The second I plunked down my $150 it started pouring rain. I waited for almost 2 hours and pulled it back in their garage. The 30% chance for morning showers today turned into a downpour since 6 a.m. and no chance of it stopping today. What a waste of money:banghead:

At least I had the lady at the counter talk about her drift car project, a Nissan Maxima. She thinks it's RWD:confused:

Well, it looks like I'll never know what riding one is like. The Electra never came back in so I got a Heritage Soft Tail. The second I plunked down my $150 it started pouring rain. I waited for almost 2 hours and pulled it back in their garage. The 30% chance for morning showers today turned into a downpour since 6 a.m. and no chance of it stopping today. What a waste of money:banghead:

At least I had the lady at the counter talk about her drift car project, a Nissan Maxima. She thinks it's RWD:confused:

You can buy kits to convert to RWD if you're going to swap in from the Nissan family (RB26DETT, etc). waste of money IMHO.

That sucks, though. When my dad and I rented Harleys up in NH, he got a 2011 Hertiage Softail. Loved it.

I had the Street Glide... I figure I got the best part of that deal.

I've rented a couple heritage softtails over the years and found them to be decent enough. I would never own one as they're way to plush and there is no feedback from the bike, it just feels vague. But I expect that from a cruiser that's twice the weight of my sportbikes. I took one up to the Haleakula crater in HI last fall and it was decent, but those damn floorboards scraped on almost every turn. Not enjoyable to say the least. I missed my SV.

I'm surprised to hear your experience in the first dealer. I guess they must have enough business that they don't care to bring in new customers. Considering HD's greatest achievement is marketing, that dealer certainly isn't living up to the image.

Of the few HD dealers I've set foot in (usually for a rental) I've been welcomed with a smile, shown to where I need to go immedietly, and had some of the greatest customer service I've had at any store of any kind. It almost makes me want to own a Harley. If they made a bike more in line with my taste, I certainly wouldn't hesitate based on the customer service alone.

Wait a minute. So you paid for it, but never got to leave their shop with it,

and they didn't refund your money?? What a crock of shit! :mad:

They ended up taking care if it for me! Sorry didn't update. She started with a store credit but I won't be coming down here anymore so she went to call for authorization. Nobody picked up and she said screw it and posted a full refund.

They ended up taking care if it for me! Sorry didn't update. She started with a store credit but I won't be coming down here anymore so she went to call for authorization. Nobody picked up and she said screw it and posted a full refund.

Well that's good. :)

I've rented a couple heritage softtails over the years and found them to be decent enough. I would never own one as they're way to plush and there is no feedback from the bike, it just feels vague. But I expect that from a cruiser that's twice the weight of my sportbikes. I took one up to the Haleakula crater in HI last fall and it was decent, but those damn floorboards scraped on almost every turn. Not enjoyable to say the least. I missed my SV.

HUH, so you blame the bike for trying to ride it in a manner that is the complete opposite of its design purpose? Diss the Lazy-boy because it is not an Aeron chair? Bag on the fatty cause she is not a spinner?

Ok, Heritage is no CBR but for its size and weight, it handles pretty good ("decent enough"). It soaks up the flat mileage of the Midwest with aplomb and can hold a decent pace on mildly curved roads. No Dragon Slayer but the chicks like to go for rides, so all is well.

I also had the vague feedback on my Heritage. It would push in the corners and I would curse it to no end when I ran wide. The stock settings on the shocks is quite soft. I dialed mine all the way stiff and it handles a lot better and provides much better feedback. Ride is still comfortable. Just treat the floorboards like knee pucks and I want to see your body position hanging off on the corner.:D