Got pulled over doing +25 over

Scruit

I've been pulled over on the bike a few times and did the same things you did. The LEO's have always been cool with me and seemed to appreciate the fact that I was fully geared and turned the bike off. Did get one ticket, though, when an OSHP plane was pacing me on 77 :nono:

:lol: where were you headed?

Cool cop. I like those normal dudes, congrats.

I blew the stop sign by my house the other day. Y road, Barely slowed down to look, saw the sheriff going in my direction, He wasn't in danger of me hitting him and kept going (rural road). He pulled me over, walked up and was laughing and said, "You know, if you're going to blow a stop sign, don't do it directly in front of a cop". We left. good dude.

Edited by Gump

Is it really a good idea to incriminate both yourself and the nice officer that let you off by posting video? Just sayin'

How am I going to incriminate the officer? He did nothing wrong. if the local prosecutor wants to pull the video and track me down and file a speeding ticket against em then so be it. I'm not losing any sleep over that possibility.

Heck, if I GOT the ticket I still wouldn't be mad. I certainly deserved one.

How am I going to incriminate the officer? He did nothing wrong.

I guess incriminate is definitely the wrong word, but it still looks bad to certain people letting you off of what is borderline reckless op. Some busybodies just need the impression that justice was served to sleep at night.

Conducted yourself very nicely. I see nothing wrong with posting the video, but some officers might not like it.

About removing your helmet, I've never been pulled over on the bike but I always assumed that I should remove my helmet as soon as I had the bike stopped?

How am I going to incriminate the officer? He did nothing wrong. if the local prosecutor wants to pull the video and track me down and file a speeding ticket against em then so be it. I'm not losing any sleep over that possibility.

Heck, if I GOT the ticket I still wouldn't be mad. I certainly deserved one.

It could get him for negligence. What happens when someone gets a ticket for +5 from the same officer and finds this video. It shows up in court and they claim he is discriminating against whatever race gender religion age they are.

I have a few friends and relatives who are police officers and I have gleaned a tiny bit of information on how they like traffic stops to go. It's different in the US versus UK.

The basic concept in the US is that you should never make the officer think you might be a threat, it puts him/her on edge and destroys any rapport that you may have. Your best chance of a easy traffic stop is to have the officer know you're a good person who just made a mistake.

- Pull over NOW. The officer will not signal you to pull over in a dangerous place. When the lights come on, pull over. Lone women / unmarked cars etc are a judgement call, but if it is a marked cruiser then stop safely but immediately. Don't throw the anchor out, and don't spend a mile looking for a spot to pull over.

- The helmet can be a barrier to effective communication, it can also be a way to conceal identity - but it can also be a weapon if thrown or swung. It is a judgement call. If you have a full-face then flip up the visor and make eye contact. If you have a half, 3/4 or modular then keep it on unless asked to remove it.

- Never reach for anything unless the officer asks you to. When asked for something that is in plan sight you should reach for it calmly and smoothly, no furtive or unexpected motions. If the thing you are asked for is NOT in plain sight, tell the officer where it is and ask if it's ok to reach for it. Those places can conceal guns as well as insurance papers, so suddenly diving into the glove compartment, even when asked for insurance papers etc, is going to make the officer wonder if you're gonna pull a gun from there. Communicate where and why you are reaching and you'll keep the officer comfortable and he'll be more likely to be on your side.

- On a motorcycle, don't get off the bike unless asked. Just like getting out of a car - don't do it. The officer has a tactical advantage when you are inside the car / on the bike, and that advantage keeps him or her more comfortable.

- Consider turning the engine off (assuming your vehicle is not some old hoopty that may not start up again). This signals you have no intent to drive away. On a bike especially, don't give the officer any reason to think you're going to floor it when he or she is out of the cruiser. This puts the officer on edge and gets in the way of a friendly rapport.

- If the officer pulled you over and you know why, then don't act like a dick. I'm not saying you have to give up your constitutional rights or anything - but I have found that honesty has only ever resulted in one ticket for me, despite being pulled over 6-7 times.

- He's not your friend, and he's not your enemy. Treat him like you'd treat any other professional you come into contact with.

I got pulled over by OSHP on my way back from Mechanicsburg between London an Xenia on 42. Was going 57 in a 45, he was coming at me in the other lane and pulled a U-turn after passing me. Pulled over, shut the bike off and I have a modular helmet so just opened the front. Asked where I was heading, being over an hour away from home, told him home and that I was just leaving my Cousins coming home party (just got back from Marine boot camp). Was very professional like that sheriff was and let me go with a warning telling me to be careful and get home.

The whole time I'm waiting for my Uncle (Staff Lieutenant in the OSHP) to pass me :lol:

:plus1: for not being a dick most officers have to deal with.

It could get him for negligence. What happens when someone gets a ticket for +5 from the same officer and finds this video. It shows up in court and they claim he is discriminating against whatever race gender religion age they are.

I'd call it discretion, not discrimination.

I pull over right away, turn off the bike, and then I calmly take off my sunglasses and helmet and immediately hang them on my right mirror and clutch handle respectively. All of this before the officer even opens the door to his cruiser usually, that way I can still see him in my left mirror, and he has a pretty good idea that I'm not going to try to flee.

Greet the officer politely and respectively, and answer any of his questions appropriately.

I've gotten pulled over plenty of times on my bike, but rarely have I gotten ticketed.

the first ticket I received on my bike, the officer told me I should have run, and he wouldn't have bothered chasing me. The second was just outside the metroparks on my way to bike night in valleyview. (and he was considering letting me off with a warning)

Other than the group ride ticket I got with fonzie and koz in new york at midnight, but i didn't have control over most of that interaction, Kyle made the first impression.

it pays to be polite and respectful. (probably doesn't hurt to be caucasion)

Edited by magley64

That's a viable point. I would never keep video of myself getting stopped for any sort of traffic violation, unless there were fishy circumstances that may need addressed in court later on. And I wouldn't be posting the video up for any/all of the world to see ( self-incriminating or not )

Hell, I dont even mention the ticket I got last week :eek:

• Upvote 1

That's a viable point. I would never keep video of myself getting stopped for any sort of traffic violation, unless there were fishy circumstances that may need addressed in court later on. And I wouldn't be posting the video up for any/all of the world to see ( self-incriminating or not )

Hell, I dont even mention the ticket I got last week :eek:

I don't see the problem. Cops have a bad rep because people only ever post negative stuff. Posting a positive encounter can't be a bad thing, can it?

That's cuz your white didn't get a ticket and not trying to sue. You'd be suprised the accusations leos get over stupid stuff.

So nobody should ever talk about the police doing good things because it could be used as evidence against them by people accusing them of doing bad things? :confused:

So nobody should ever talk about the police doing good things because it could be used as evidence against them by people accusing them of doing bad things? :confused:

Talking about it and showing proof of him not doing what is expected of him on a public forum are two different things. If you had a friend who worked at say a restaurant who gave you a huge discount just because. Letting the owner know may not be in your friends best interest. Now let's say I get a ticket from the same cop for 25 or less. I go to court with your video. I claim I thought it was ok because he politely let you go. How's he going to justify that to the court? Now say I'm of a different race and I claim the reason he ticketed me was due to my race. What argument would he have to prove otherwise?

Talking about it and showing proof of him not doing what is expected of him on a public forum are two different things. If you had a friend who worked at say a restaurant who gave you a huge discount just because. Letting the owner know may not be in your friends best interest. Now let's say I get a ticket from the same cop for 25 or less. I go to court with your video. I claim I thought it was ok because he politely let you go. How's he going to justify that to the court? Now say I'm of a different race and I claim the reason he ticketed me was due to my race. What argument would he have to prove otherwise?

An officer isn't expected to ticket people, just uphold the law and it's their choice what they want to do with a traffic stop. The cop could easily say that Scruit had a clean record, was courteous, and didn't seem to be a threat so he felt that in his situation it would be enough to give him a warning. As for the video, you don't know the officers name so how could you prove who it was if you were to get pulled over? Even if you did know his name and got a ticket, he doesn't really have to explain his actions, every traffic stop is different (such as safety for the officer, what kind of ticket, traffic around you, etc.) so he could say that during that time he felt a ticket was appropriate and there isn't much you could do about it. And if someone pulls the race card in court the judge will have evidence of what happened and likely throw that argument out the window since you have no evidence that he was racist. You may not like it but that's the way it is.

And posting the video up can't incriminate either party so who cares?

An officer isn't expected to ticket people, just uphold the law and it's their choice what they want to do with a traffic stop. The cop could easily say that Scruit had a clean record, was courteous, and didn't seem to be a threat so he felt that in his situation it would be enough to give him a warning. As for the video, you don't know the officers name so how could you prove who it was if you were to get pulled over? Even if you did know his name and got a ticket, he doesn't really have to explain his actions, every traffic stop is different (such as safety for the officer, what kind of ticket, traffic around you, etc.) so he could say that during that time he felt a ticket was appropriate and there isn't much you could do about it. And if someone pulls the race card in court the judge will have evidence of what happened and likely throw that argument out the window since you have no evidence that he was racist. You may not like it but that's the way it is.

Apparently you haven't dealt with many defense attorneys. How can the cop say it was ok to not ticket him at over 25mph over the speed limit but someone else going less over the speed limit should have a ticket?

In a time where budgets are at a low and people are feeling their tax dollars are being wasted people feel cops should be doing their job aka writing tickets.

Apparently you haven't dealt with many defense attorneys. How can the cop say it was ok to not ticket him at over 25mph over the speed limit but someone else going less over the speed limit should have a ticket?

In a time where budgets are at a low and people are feeling their tax dollars are being wasted people feel cops should be doing their job aka writing tickets.

I know what defense attorneys do police training involves so yeah..

An officers job isn't to write tickets, it's to keep the public safe (in a nutshell) and it's their discretion if they want to write a ticket, it is not mandatory nor a quota. If and officer feels someone deserves a ticket for whatever reason then that's how it is. A repeat offender is likely going to get a ticket versus someone who has a clean record..Now that doesn't mean you couldn't fight it since you can go to court for pretty much any reason, but it doesn't mean you'll win.

Edited by nautical1

This, I got pulled over plastered once and got let go. Long story short me, another car, 2 buddies, 6 cruisers, 1 dog, some weed, all of us super shitfaced(not the reason we got pulled over, we got pulled over for something we should have never been pulled over for) all 3 of us were polite, both veichiles had the same exact story and the cop had a different story(although his dashcam would have agreed with us) we were just told to hurry up and drive home. They took my buddies weed and that was that.

Although, the cop I was talking to almost the entire time saw my military uniform and said I usually let 95% of military personal go, but it's not my call on what's going to happen to y'all this time.

I was happy as could be, dayton cops are pretty cool and I never give them any shit. Most cops I have had a run in with or talked to about why they let some people go or not for the same crime mainly look at what is your past record and how respectful you are. Also when being pulled over I have learned the quicker you pull over(or slow down after breaking the law) the less likely you are to get in trouble.