I'm looking for Tips, Tricks, Advice and Pointers for wheelie control

magley64

Currently riding a 99 XR200R trying to learn how to get wheelies under control to the point where I can stand this thing up and ride it like a unicycle for as long as I want.

I've been practicing for a couple hours a day on the weekends, and an hour or so a night during the week. I've added pegs to the swingarm back closer to the wheel where passenger pegs might go if a bike like this came with them.

Right now, I'm just standing on that rear peg, rolling the bike at an idle in 2nd, then pushing down on the front forks and as they rebound cracking open the throttle. I can get it to come up but usually it's not quite far enough (i might be backing off too soon) but other times it comes up too far, and I have to drop my feet to keep it from going over.

it seems as time progresses I'm able to get closer and closer to keeping it upright. so is it a matter of "just keep practicing" or are there some tips or pointers that someone has that can accelerate this process?

thanks in advance

You can try to clutch a little if that would make you more comfortable than rolling on throttle, also try and use your rear brake to level you out if you feel you are getting to far back, it will feel pretty differant at first but you should get use to it, then you can stay in the power and use the brake to control you from going over.

I tried clutching it a couple of times, and that did seem to work but it made me uneasy because i didn't have a full grip on the left bar. it also seemed less consistent than just powering it up. (maybe just me)

the rear brake tends to stick a little, if I'm gonna use the brakes, I'll have to service them, and I did consider hooking up a rear brake lever above the front brake lever... so that might still happen.

Sounds like you are on the right path. Balls and practice lead to skill. Throttle control is very important on the way up and the way down. You don't want to loop it or blow fork seals. On the way down leave some RPMs and throttle it down a bit to keep from dropping the nose when the rev limiter kicks in. Set it down smooth like a jet plane landing.

Clutching up on a 200 may be an option as there is a lack of power, but it comes up quickly compared to a power wheelie so be ready. 2nd gear is a good idea to as a higher speed makes the wheelie seem less violent and gives you time to react and control.

My brother learned on my XR 100 by doing clutch wheelies from a dead stop and dragging his feet behind him in 1st gear. I never was that good at wheelies and prefer to drag my knee instead.

Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

thanks for all the pointers so far...

i'll give a few of these techniques/ideas a try.

like i said, it's been improving, I just didn't know if there was something I was missing.

How close should I be to the handlebars when it is vertical to make it easier on myself? (tight to the chest or arms extended?)

should i be controlling it with the throttle while vertical, or using body position more?

Edited by magley64

thanks for all the pointers so far...

i'll give a few of these techniques/ideas a try.

like i said, it's been improving, I just didn't know if there was something I was missing.

How close should I be to the handlebars when it is vertical to make it easier on myself? (tight to the chest or arms extended?)

should i be controlling it with the throttle while vertical, or using body position more?

Control with the throttle unless you need to turn the bike, then lean with the body to turn. The less you wiggle around up there the more stable you will be.

As for elbows find a sweet spot in the middle that is comfortable for you.

I'm not going fast enough to need the rear brake just yet (if it goes over, I just put my feet down), I figure if I can get control over it going slow, going fast will be easy in comparison.

I can do power wheelies on the XX, but I never get it up high enough to where gravity doesn't bring it back for me.

I'm not going fast enough to need the rear brake just yet (if it goes over, I just put my feet down)

Understood, but that's not a habit you want to get into and then find out that it's a reflex on a bigger bike at greater speed.

think of it as handling a BB gun like an AR15 in the interest of building good habits early.

anyone think there is a benefit to letting some air out of the knobbies?

I doubt it would help much on the dirt. On a street bike it will give a nice big flat contact patch with an aired down tire.