Fall Leaf Tour 2012

Unk Greg

The 2012 Fall Leaf Tour drew a small but hardy group. Could have had something to do with temperatures in the 40s. Nothing like last year's mass turnout of fair weather riders. :p

2012Leaf1.jpg

This is the only group ride I've ever participated in where 40% of the motorcycles were Aprilias.

Meanwhile, across the Atlantic at Circuit Magny Cours in France, Aprilia and Max Biaggi were wrapping up a world title in World Superbike.

Mere coincidence?

International conspiracy?

Cosmic synchronicity?

You decide.

Edited by motociclista

Can you spot the unexpected road hazard in this photo that led to the brake lights lighting up and the gawking by riders and passengers? Elsie slipped out of the stables before milking time and was jogging down the highway, leading to a scrambling of teenage boys trying to restore bovine order.

2012Leaf3.jpg

The view from Walnut Creek.

2012Leaf5.jpg

There would normally be an end-of-the-ride photo at the Iron Pony Saloon showing the happy group beaming in camaraderie, but at that point it was spitting rain and felt colder than ever, so everyone just wanted to get inside, huddle around the space heater in the men's room (the ladies controlled this impulse, admirably) and order pot after pot of coffee.

But really, it wasn't bad at all (so says the guy with heated grips and handguards; Greg may have felt differently on the unfaired SV650). Excellent route.

Thanks to folks. Nice pics Lance. My usual flair...camera charged up and left on counter at home...not even the cell phone camera...yikes!

Good to see you folks and had a good time....only finger tips got cold.

All the animals liked the SV...noticed them all staring...one horse paced me while in his pasture area. Not me in the pasture area! The horse sprinting along side me on the other side of the fence.

Ha on 2012 cattle herding....a few blips and piped them on their way...ya noticed the second one hit it up the hill and slipped back under the fence?

Edited by littlecarbsbigsmiles

Open note to Blitz...ya musta been near our conversation...talked about Iron Pony sale racks...several of us in matching gear....good ole clearance items!

General announcemt. Rain held off until the last few miles.....great sunshine appeared as we peered out the windows at Iron Pony Saloon....oh yeah, now the sun shines!

In closing....route instructions filed away.

Left Danville, east on USR62 to SR206. South on 206 to SR715. 715 an older chip and seal, well packed down, but spots unravel'd. 715 to Mohawk Dam and SR36. Took 36 east into Warsaw. Left at blinking lite and then 2nd street on left CR22, Spring Mtn. Rd.... follow it to CR19 and downhill to stop sign on SR60...left on SR60 - cross bridge and right onto CR19...the other part....left at sharp uphill...DO NOT GO STRAIGHT! Left at stop sign in Clark (Myers gas station was open!!)... cross bridge and past school and right onto CR19.....yes that's right 3 CR19's. Follow CR19 to CR59....59 to stop sign...CR600...east on on 600 to New Bedford and SR643. Porta-john at New Bedford. Take 643 north to stop sign and SR557. Left on SR557 to Charm. Right in Charm at Keim's across from Grandma's restaurant (the one Motocyclista wrote about in an article somewhere) onto CR70. Follow CR70 to stop sign and straight thru now CR114....114 to stop sign at SR39. Cross 39 and left at next stop sign. Uphill into Walnut Creek. Since it is Sunday, everything closed inside Amish Country .... just beware of buggies, riders on horseback, people walking....and Amish boys on bicycles outfitted with stinger motors. Wave, they'll wave to you...

stop in Walnut Creek behind der Dutchman...pkg lot at SR515 and scenic overlook. North on SR515 to stop sign at USR62. Left and dash into gas station on right...only thing open. Top off cruiser bikes....how come a cruiser bike can only go 90 miles before gas tank is empty? Another scenic overlook at gas station. Continue westerly on 62 to Bunker Hill...right at lite onto CR77. North on 77 to Mt. Hope and SR241...south on 241 to blinking lite and right onto CR201. By now the gurlz have realized all them touristy spots are closed...no shopping today guys. Yer welcome! You figure how to talk them out of the return trip in vehicle to buy stuff!!!

Follow CR201 north to Fredricksburg...county road number changes to CR10 at Wayne Co.

In Freds. left at bottom of hill which will be Holmesville Road...and follow along river and into Holmesville. At Holmesville, left onto Market Street and at stop sign, right onto E Main. 2 stop signs and cross SR83...dangerous intersection with poor line of site to the right. Onto CR329....at stop sign, right onto CR318. Follow 318 to stop sign. Left at stop sign onto Centerville Rd. Follow it to stop sign. Intersection of SR514/226. Straight across onto SR226....Follow SR226 to SR179. North on 179 to stop sign and SR3...IRON PONY SALOON...steak place, not farkle sale place.

Ride ends here...as I have no idea how long a 2 and a half pound steak takes to cook. I simply opted for the 1 pound burger with a butt load of fries....and lotsa coffee (40°...and lite rain a few miles back).

Good time for all....waitress' name was Brandy...i think...then there was...Kelli...Suzi, .... is there a theme here?.

Closed loop back to Danville by south on SR179 to SR39...left onto 39 into Nashville and right at lite...south onto SR514 back to Danville gas station

(and ice cream....should you choose).

Edited by littlecarbsbigsmiles
fricking droid adfing wordsvand letters....see! I love technology!