Buying a house...

magley64

place looks nice. How much land?

part of my 5 (maybe 10) year plan is to upgrade to a 4-bedroom place with 3+ acres in a better school district. I know I'll have to migrate a ways to do that, but my wife already works way out East, so that's looking like the direction we'll go.

• Upvote 1

'Grats!

Nice having some big ol' trees to give you some shade in the summertime - just keep the gutters clean in the spring and fall.

yeah, on top of a house payment, I've also signed up for a laundry list of maintenance and upkeep... not to mention pool refurb...

Not quite sure how I'm going to do that yet, but it'll be cool when I do get it done.

That pool could get real expensive if it needs redone

it does need attention, not sure how I'm going to redo it yet, but planned on doing it myself.

1: tile of some sort, after patching in all the chipped and chunked pieces, I was considering tiling the whole thing. nice clean look, mostly immune to UV damage, but kinda pricey.

2: I still have friends in my last line of work (industrial coatings), and once I got the patching done, I could coat the entire thing with a urethane gelcoat, Using a lot of flow and leveling agents for the "floor" and a higher rheological modifier for the walls. Include a lot of Ti02 for UV as well as a stand alone UV package. then i could paint some sort of design over the base, add some pearl, or some metallic, and recoat with clear gelcoat

probably not as pricey, but also not as UV protected.

then I was considering adding a roof over it...

lots of ideas rolling around in my head.

Home ownership isn't bad as long as you know what you're getting into. Sounds like you've got a good handle on it.

And I assume the entire 3.5 acres isn't cleared, so mowing can't be THAT bad.

the intro-level commercial cut (33") mowers are around a grand new, or if you want to go the really extreme route, you can spend a few grand on a tractor that's big enough to cut grass AND plow the driveway.

Realistically though, most people just keep half an acre or so "nice" and then the rest is kept under control. My someday plan is to have an acre fenced in, and then a couple more acres to "play" on with bikes and guns.

Most of the property (2.5 to 3 acres) is currently cleared/mowed

For a grand, I can get my hands on about 5 to 8 identical 20" push mowers...

remove the handles, link them together so that each is free to pivot or float (to a reasonable extent, overlap them a few inches, incorporate the fuel to a single source multiple feed system, and drag the whole assembly around with one of many yard toys I already have (or a tractor) and by my calculations I should have the lawn mowed (nice) in no time at all. Will this work? Not 100% sure, but I think it's worth a shot.

2: I still have friends in my last line of work (industrial coatings), and once I got the patching done, I could coat the entire thing with a urethane gelcoat, Using a lot of flow and leveling agents for the "floor" and a higher rheological modifier for the walls. Include a lot of Ti02 for UV as well as a stand alone UV package. then i could paint some sort of design over the base, add some pearl, or some metallic, and recoat with clear gelcoat

I know what some of those words mean.

Congrats on the house, it looks like a true liberal's castle. Seriously though, 3.5 acres is going to suck balls to cut. Isn't it legal to have grazing animals in Ashtabula? Just a thought, and hey, free free-range steak!

Buy a goat, stake her out in the yard with 20 or so feet of rope, move the stake every day. Mowing becomes a non-issue....and you get a steady supply of goats milk and high quality fertilizer.

i hate you for coming up with this joke before I did. You and I are enemies now.

place looks nice. How much land?

part of my 5 (maybe 10) year plan is to upgrade to a 4-bedroom place with 3+ acres in a better school district. I know I'll have to migrate a ways to do that, but my wife already works way out East, so that's looking like the direction we'll go.

Man I heard this, bought in a subdivision, FML, and owe 1:1 right now, well maybe 80% LTV really at this point, but I need me some land.

We want 5-10 and a polebarn, if barn isn't there yet, must have h20 hookup and electrical on site to add said barn before moving in.

Just need to sell this place in the process.

• Upvote 1