United States Army

attentiongetter92

Going to be a very long day. Get plenty of rest, don't drink as they will breathalyze you. Medical takes the most time. Get used to the "hurry up and wait" routine. And if you don't have it it writing on your contract, it doesn't exist. Its nothing to worry about, they are just making sure youre healthy, sober, in good physical condition and then you do your contract and swear in. I just went back through Meps in July. Went through originally in 2003.

Going to be a very long day. Get plenty of rest, don't drink as they will breathalyze you. Medical takes the most time. Get used to the "hurry up and wait" routine. And if you don't have it it writing on your contract, it doesn't exist. Its nothing to worry about, they are just making sure youre healthy, sober, in good physical condition and then you do your contract and swear in. I just went back through Meps in July. Went through originally in 2003.

What's your job?

Like someone already said...no drinking or drugs. Its just some medical things so you should be fine as long as you show up.

Last time I was at MEPS, some 17 yo girl was in the front lawn balling her eyes out and they were shoveling the teeny boppers onto the bus for boot camp....it was a pretty funny and sad sight.

Had so much fun, I went through it twice in 2001. Advice on here (as far as I can remember it) is spot on. Mouth shut, speak when you're spoken to and answer every question as directly and concisely as you can. I don't know what you're going in for, but understand that you are basically talking directly to the United States Government, and anything untruthful you say can and very well might come back to bite you in the ass if you're investigated to be issued a security clearance or other sensitive position. Any advice your recruiter gives to the contrary IGNORE. Mine wanted me to lie to the MEPS doc, and I did the first time through but not the second. DO NOT LIE, but don't volunteer information that they did not specifically ask for.

Try to have some fun, and thanks for your service.

I had no idea you were in the Military Jeff.

I wasn't. That second trip through the MEPS was as far as I got, and pretty much the only aspect of Military life I can speak intelligently about. :)

Long story short, my recruiter wanted me to lie that I had asthma up through high school. First time around I did, until the MEPS doc wanted a copy of my hospital records for a unrelated illness when I was 5. I was able to get a copy of this record, and that copy stated that I had asthma. My options were to double down and get a notarized statement that the copy of the record I had in my hand didn't exist, or spill the beans and hand it over to the MEPS doc. MEPS washed me out after that.

Never be first, never be last, and never volunteer. Helps if you have a last name that is hard to pronounce...the drill sergeants aren't as quick to call it out.

Hopefully your name isn't Dick Long. They like to say last name first and first name last. You would have a very hard time in bootcamp with that name, I would think.

MEPS easy. Your family will probably want to send you mail. Try not to get mail everyday. I know you can't stop this but give your family the heads up. The more mail you get the more the Drills know your name. ALWAYS say Drill Sergeant DONT EVER just call them by there last name. ALWAYS have a battle buddy. DONT talk to the Drills unless absolutely neccessary. Learn to sleep anywhere. If you do end up voluntering make sure it is for ammo or chow detail. These are cake details and with these details you probably won't have to Ruck March to the range or field site. Good Luck.

If you're a mouthy shitlip by nature, unfuck that attitude in a butt-fierce hurry. I work with an ex-drill and it is absolutely hilarious hearing him tongue lash the young techs around the shop. His foul verbiage is so artistic.....I'd swear his spit has paint in it :D

Thanx in advance for your service and good luck soldier!

-Do the hard right, over the easy wrong.

-Never trade your integrity, it's not worth what ever you are thinking of giving it up for.

What's missing in today's new soldiers:

-The willingness to earn your place

-Young NCO's who know their job and care enough to correct fellow soldier when need be.

Soldiers do some crazy shit. I needed to come up with something to keep it simple. This is what I have been putting out for the last 5 years.

The 4 rules to be successful:

1) Be where you are suppose to be

2) Doing what you are suppose to be doing

3) When you are suppose to be there

4) With the gear you need

Best of luck to you. Have the heart to push yourself. You can do more than you think you can.

• Upvote 1

MEPS is easy. Sit around and wait.

IF IT ISN'T IN WRITING IT DOESN'T EXIST!!

Bring a notebook with all your addresses and numbers. You likely won't see your cell phone after you arrive at BCT until you're done.

Take the time to call and write people. Getting mail is a great pick me up so make sure to designate a representative to pass you're address around once you get it.

A change of clothes isn't necessary but it's nice on family day, graduation, and time off in OSUT/AIT. And this don't mean I'm encouraging you to break the uniform rules on those days either.

Phone cards go quick and are cheaper off-post.

You don't get any extra points for being best or worst in your class. Learn as much as you can and stay as unnoticed as you can.

Have fun! It is a bunch of fun events and training. Just roll with the bullshit and you'll be fine. Those friendships you make there will last a long time.

3 Rules:

1. Be where you are supposed to be.

2. Be there at the right time. (15 minutes early)

3. Be in the right uniform.

If you follow those three rules, you'll be fine.

Edited by BDBGoalie

-Do the hard right, over the easy wrong.

-Never trade your integrity, it's not worth what ever you are thinking of giving it up for.

What's missing in today's new soldiers:

-The willingness to earn your place

-Young NCO's who know their job and care enough to correct fellow soldier when need be.

Soldiers do some crazy shit. I needed to come up with something to keep it simple. This is what I have been putting out for the last 5 years.

The 4 rules to be successful:

1) Be where you are suppose to be

2) Doing what you are suppose to be doing

3) When you are suppose to be there

4) With the gear you need

Best of luck to you. Have the heart to push yourself. You can do more than you think you can.

Mojoe's got some serious stripes (in the literal sense) on his sleeves, you'd do very well to heed this advice.

Have fun with the Duck Walk! MEPS isn't that bad, unless you don't sleep well the night before, then you'll just be cranky and easily annoyed.

My advice for Basic: On the Gas Chamber day, shave well and drink milk!

Have fun in Fort Leonard Wood (AKA Lost in the Woods)!

if you have to volunteer -

- Pots and Pans (KP, more break time than any other group)

- M203 (in the field, you don't have to clean the damn thing as much)

- SAW or M60 (more fun in the field, IMHO)

- first or last shift on fireguard duty (less breaks in sleep)

- floor buffer (best toy EVAR!!!!)

hey folks, all he said was MEPS-- not going to basic just yet.

for what it's worth, i enlisted in 1994.

here's my advice: make sure you go in there with a positive attitude and a sense of what job you want to do for the military. for example, i went there knowing that i wanted to do something with aviation. they did their damndest to get me to sign up for infantry or whatever. don't let them bully you into filling their quota. if the job isn't right, then don't sign up. it's that easy. remember, this is YOUR career. the government doesn't dictate your path, YOU DO! :) have fun!

(also for what it's worth, basic training is a great opportunity for you to shine as a leader. be proactive. always volunteer, and be the first to help out your battle buddies. these qualities won't go unnoticed by the drill sergeants. military leadership skills are valued greatly by civilian employers. employers are looking for outgoing folks who don't sit around waiting to be told what to do.)

Thanks guys, MEPS was fun actually however they had no 11bravo contracts available so I told them to call me when one opens up. Kinda irritated about it but that's the government for me I suppose. Thanks for all the advice, it's always nice to hear from people that have served.