Tethering warning/auto plan change from AT&T

idodishez

ja7y9a7a.jpg

5ury7a5e.jpg

Anyone else get this? Didn't they lose a lawsuit not too long ago related to this or something similar? They can automatically enroll me in another data plan, (thereby nullifying my grandfathered unlimited data package) all without my consent?

I'm currently using a jail broken iPhone 4s running "MyWi" for the occasional iPad or laptop use when I'm not near wifi. Been jail broken for some time now, with only rare usage that hasn't increased.

Did some ruling or precedent change recently that allows them to do this now but not previously?

Nobama 2012

I know Verizon had an issue like this a few months back and you're grandfathered in as long as you make NO changes to your plan. You get a new phone? You just got ungrandfathered. I'm sure AT&T will follow suit. I'd call them before you agree to anything.

If you are teathering and not paying for it then you are inviolation of your contract and they can change you to a plan that has teathering priced in. You are essentially stealing a service others are paying for as well as a service that is a revenue stream for AT&T.

• Upvote 1

I loved my droid 1, there was an official release from verizon that stated the device was not capable of tethering. I had it hacked and rooted, and was tethering like crazy... they sent me a similar worded message, and i sent them back their official release as well as the phone ID that i was using, and they stopped sending me messages.

funny how they consider "unlimited" as limited. lol keep using those pos companies and this is what you get. it's not like you don't over pay for the service anyway.

look at what time warner cable was trying in some areas. they were charging by the MB. that didn't work out for them I hear. customers dropped them like hot cakes. and that's exactly what you guys should do. of course you wont though. so don't keep complaining.

Anyone else get this? Didn't they lose a lawsuit not too long ago related to this or something similar?

VZ lost an FCC ruling that prohibits them from doing this. VZ lost because they bought a special data spectrum from the Fed for their 4G network and that purchase had strings attached to it that caused VZ to lose that ruling. That ruling does not include AT&T because AT&T did not buy any of that spectrum.

So yes, AT&T can do this to you.

. I'm sure AT&T will follow suit. I'd call them before you agree to anything.

That's the point. I didn't agree to anything. If I do nothing, they automatically force a plan change on me and remove my grandfathered status. (as I sit here typing this I realize this is very reminiscent of our current administration in Washington).

Nobama 2012

That's the point. I didn't agree to anything. If I do nothing, they automatically force a plan change on me and remove my grandfathered status. (as I sit here typing this I realize this is very reminiscent of our current administration in Washington).

Nobama 2012

How can you be pissed about getting billed for a service you have been stealing?You had your fun, you got caught, deal with it. Seems to me you want handouts just like the folks who are fans of the government you referenced above.

how is teathering stealing? I've done it for along time with my cricket phone. all they do is throttle the service back after i hit so many mb a month.

these companies just get pissed they're missing out on being able to charge you extra for something. it was something they all overlooked and now they're pissed off about it.

cricket seems to just either not care or know throttling it back is more annoying than telling you to buy a higher rate plan. but they never make you quit doing it.

Edited by serpentracer

AT&T has charged for tethering since the release of the IPhone 4. So if you are tethering using an iPhone 4 and not paying for it, then it is stealing.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/02/iphone-tethering-to-cost-20-a-month-extra-requires-you-to-ditch-your-unlimited-data-plan/

I was always told I was not doing anything illegal or that could cause breach of contract etc by jail breaking or tethering. Was warned of throttling as Serpent described, but even that was something they supposedly weren't allowed to do.

Unlimited means unlimited, right? Well, until you change the rules I guess.

Nobama 2012

I think its ridiculous to charge extra to use the same amount of data, in my case at least since I have a 2GB plan. Who gives a shit how you use it, you have 2GB and thats it. You are already charging $35 fucking dollars for a measly 2GB so just let me tether. Now you unlimited guys, they kinda have a point for you not tethering since you could be downloading all the pronz on the web and killing there service, but I think if used responsibly you should be allowed to as well.

Drop them for who? It's not like you have a better choice. The only other people that have truly unlimited is someone who service is lacking in quality.

Are you talking about Sprint? I have had Sprint for 10 years now, no issues that weren't caused by me in those 10 years. I have heard many complaints about the bad signal and whatnot from Sprint, but it doesn't bother me. If there is no Sprint tower nearby, I get to leach off Verizon or whoever for free (I get free data roaming and whatnot with Sprint).

In conclusion: I am a Sprint fanboy, who tethers all the time, for no extra charge! :D

How is tethering considered stealing? I pay for unlimited data. By tethering I am using data. Which I have unlimited amounts of thru my contract. Why should a pay more for data that I am already paying for? And I don't even tether.....

Oh and you wanna see burning thru data? ajymamam.jpg

How is tethering considered stealing? I pay for unlimited data. By tethering I am using data. Which I have unlimited amounts of thru my contract. Why should a pay more for data that I am already paying for? And I don't even tether.....

You are not paying for tethering. You are paying for unlimited data for your phone. Tethering was never included in the original plan, and is specifically excluded from the unlimited data plan.

At least in the case of AT&T/OP.

Although I consider 'stealing' to be a bit strong. It is in violation of the agreement that you signed with AT&T and that agreement says they can charge you extra. May not like it, but that is what you agreed too.

Tethering is using data. I pay for unlimited data. There is nothing in my contract that says how I can use that data. It's just like when people started using WiFi in their houses. Internet companies threw a fit. Now it's expected.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Tethering is using data. I pay for unlimited data. There is nothing in my contract that says how I can use that data. It's just like when people started using WiFi in their houses. Internet companies threw a fit. Now it's expected.

Tethering is a feature that has a cost associated with it. It is not included in or available with an unlimited data plan from AT&T. If you want to tether and have AT&T as a provider then you need to move to a tiered data plan and pay for the tether feature.

There is nothing in my contract that says how I can use that data.

You might want to read the terms of use again. They are updated from time to time. You get notification with your bill that there is a change and you have 30 days to object and get out of your contract. If you don't object you have then agreed to the new terms.

It is in there. There is no tethering option in AT&T's unlimited data plan anymore. Their network, their rules. I am not saying they are right in taking it away. But they have done it and your argument of 'data is data' is moot.

They can try to take away my unlimited data. I'll fight them. I've already went round with them on the "you used over 5GB of data. We're gonna throttle your data." I called them up and let them have my mind. Guess what, no throttling. Google and see how many times they have went to court and lost that battle. I know my contract. I haven't signed a new one since AT&T acquired Centennial Wireless. Had my BB back with Centennial. Also, I don't get bills in the mail. I have paperless billing that says nothing about my contract changing. Why does everyone just turn over and let a company screw them on something they are already paying for? I'm paying for unlimited data, I'm gonna get unlimited data.

Just literally looked at my contract again. Only thing it says is that they can add features for a phone. Not one thing about taking them away. So if they wanna try to charge me, go for it. I'm still keeping my unlimited data, then I'll let all my friends leech off my tethering. Not that it matters. I rarely tether.

Just literally looked at my contract again. Only thing it says is that they can add features for a phone. Not one thing about taking them away. So if they wanna try to charge me, go for it. I'm still keeping my unlimited data, then I'll let all my friends leech off my tethering. Not that it matters. I rarely tether.

May have been mentioned, but r u w AT&T?

Called them today to change my rate plan. She was sure to bring up the tethering when we were done. Told her I have unlimited data. She said its prohibited in my contract, and that if the tethering doesbt stop they will switch my data plan and I will lose the grandfather.

Nobama 2012