Talk to me about drop ceiling's.

4DAIVI PAI2K5

I want to put a drop ceiling in the basement. Wall and flooring are done I want to install recessed lighting instead of the florescent lighting that is currently there. I've heard they aren't to bad to install just takes time and need to make sure to start of level. Any tips, tricks?

I'm getting ready to do 2 rooms in my barn and have done several basements in the past. Biggest thing is to get your measurements accurate and draw it out on paper first. When laying out your grid, you start from the center of the room and work your way out.

I'm getting ready to do 2 rooms in my barn and have done several basements in the past. Biggest thing is to get your measurements accurate and draw it out on paper first. When laying out your grid, you start from the center of the room and work your way out.

What am I drawing?

The room to lay out the grid. Draw it on 1/4" grid paper and make 1 square on the paper equal 1 square foot. It will help you figure out where to start so you can make as few cuts as possible.

sounds like you'll be coming down to drink beer and eat pizza after we install it.

I plan to install the same in our basement once the finish work is done, but we're limited on height ( little over 7' ) so it would need to be flush mount type so the framing would mount directly to the joists. Good luck, and I'm interested in seeing your process/progress

I just did my basement over the summer, it isn't hard as long as you take your time with the measuring. It is much easier with at least one other person to help hold things as you secure the grid.

Figure between Ross, myself and a couple other buddies we should be able to buzz right threw it. Then move on to beer and pizza.

Its all in the layout. Like said, start in the center and keep it squared up good. Leave enough clearance above the grid to allow for tile removal. Can lights are a breeze, but you'll most likely have to set them between joists. I always cut the holes (thru the tiles) on the snug side, you can always whittle it out a little if necessary.

Have fun

You doing 2x2 or 2x4 panels?

2x4 is what I want. All depends on price.

Its all in the layout. Like said, start in the center and keep it squared up good. Leave enough clearance above the grid to allow for tile removal. Can lights are a breeze, but you'll most likely have to set them between joists. I always cut the holes (thru the tiles) on the snug side, you can always whittle it out a little if necessary.

Have fun

I only plan on have about a 4" drop. Just enough to clear the one duct that is below the joists.

why the scared face. lol just some hillbilly talking home improvements

what would you charge to come to coshocton and do it?

Just some of the comments about how to install. :D Set up a laser, run jet line and install ceiling is the best way.

You would probably be looking at about a buck a square foot for me to come down and install.

Edited by bowdog