what is this lip on the helmet for?

RHill

I noticed a black mark on my street jacket and I was having trouble looking up through the turn on the carousel at PIRC. Took a look at my helmet and noticed this lip, which I'm pretty sure is causing the issue. I was looking at other helmets and some have it, some dont. Any idea what it is for? Maybe wind noise?

Here is a crappy picture. It jets out about 1/2" at the very rear base of the helmet.

IMG_20120923_204008.jpg

And with it removed:

IMG_20120923_204012.jpg

nah, sitting on the kitchen table now

It was annoying as hell, I'd have to force my head back which would cause the helmet to rotate till the upper brow started to approch my line of sight. Actually my avatar is coming through the carousel last weekend...this is where I was noticing it the most. Not so much last week, because my line sucked through there, but this weekend I was carrying a lot more speed and not squaring it off. I wasn't even leaned over as far as I'd like, which would require even more movement.

It is an AFX helmet and I would say that by looking at it, not near as polished at the gaskets as seen on many other helmets. It isn't a slam, but the build quality is such with the AFX that you are going to get less polished production on their helmets than with say, a Shoei, Arai, etc...

All they are really are gaskets that finish the base of the shell and to maintain the EPS interior and such. Some companies do build the gasket to be functional and does help with wind noise, airflow, etc. I do not see that being the case with the AFX, but just a gasket.

I had already ripped it off and put it back on for the photo, thats why the alignment is off and ashesive is showing.

I've actually been really impressed by the AFX helmet...the fit is good, but the cheek pads have loosened up a bit. The wind noise is MUCH less than my previous helmets. Cooling/vents are effective, but the chin vent never will close(broken detent). Only complaint are: no "vent" detent for the visor and it buffets in the wind a lot. Hard to complain about a $75 helmet.

Any problems with leaving it off? Or I could cut the spoiler portion and put it back on....just thought it would look like shit if I did that.

It is an AFX helmet and I would say that by looking at it, not near as polished at the gaskets as seen on many other helmets. It isn't a slam, but the build quality is such with the AFX that you are going to get less polished production on their helmets than with say, a Shoei, Arai, etc...

All they are really are gaskets that finish the base of the shell and to maintain the EPS interior and such. Some companies do build the gasket to be functional and does help with wind noise, airflow, etc. I do not see that being the case with the AFX, but just a gasket.

You mean like ass gaskets like in mall bathrooms? You know like when you sit down to dump but they have that wax paper thing that fits over the toilet seat kinda things....

Ass gaskets, yeah thats it.