New Yamaha 3-Cylinder Engine Concept

Hailwood

Link to Full Article

Yamaha Motor Europe unveiled a new 3-cylinder engine based on the “crossplane concept” at the Intermot Motorcycle Show in Cologne, Germany on October 2, 2012.

When asked what is the “crossplane concept”, Senior Executive Motorcycle Business Operations, Kunihiko Miwa responded, “It is the philosophy where “crossplane” means the kind of torque character that gives riders the exact torque they want when they need it”.

This new concept model represents an important and significant development with regard to Yamaha's plans for the company's future direction in the motorcycle marketplace. The crossplane concept behind the success of the YZR-M1 and YZF-R1 has inspired the design of an all-new 3-cylinder engine which is destined to play an important role in Yamaha's future. Yamaha firmly believes that this new engine concept will open up new horizons in riding enjoyment.

The crossplane concept has shaped the character and enhanced the rideability of the YZR-M1 and YZF-R1, and has played a major part in their respective success on the track and street. These motorcycles have become famous for their linear driving power which is a direct result of the 'clean' torque output created by the elimination of inertial torque to nearly zero. And it is this crossplane concept of eliminating the unwanted inertial torque to create clean torque that forms the basis of the new 3-cylinder Yamaha engine.

In the company's never-ending search for new challenges, and inspired by the sweet character of the crossplane concept featured on the M1 and R1 engines, Yamaha has developed an all-new 3-cylinder engine. By investing in this new layout, Yamaha has created a new-generation powerplant that brings with it a whole new world of possibilities.

This light, slim and compact new 3-cylinder engine is designed to add a new dimension to its category in terms of torque, sound and efficiency. By successfully combining the positive characteristics of 2-cylinder and 4-cylinder engines, Yamaha's 3-cylinder powerplant has the potential to bring race-inspired performance to the street.

2bd3b3c3-5801-4659-93c2-c3c9b6391b86.jpg

I would love to see this in a middleweight (or liter+!) sportbike and/or naked bike from Yamaha. I loved the engine in my old Speed Triple and I can only imagine that character blended with that of the I4 crossplane in my R1.

Hopefully this makes it into something in the market soon.

Edited by Hailwood

Hopefully this will be the start of something good. Keeping costs low by sharing parts.

ie:

1000cc = 4cyl

750cc = 3cyl

500cc = 2cyl

250cc = 1 cyl

all with the ability of sharing many parts and essentially coming down to each engine only needing it's own block, head, camshafts and crankshaft.

Hopefully this will be the start of something good. Keeping costs low by sharing parts.

ie:

1000cc = 4cyl

750cc = 3cyl

500cc = 2cyl

250cc = 1 cyl

all with the ability of sharing many parts and essentially coming down to each engine only needing it's own block, head, camshafts and crankshaft.

+1

With the decline in motorcycle ownership among younger folks, what we need are some really great, affordable, unintimidating bikes to bring more folks into the fold (new Ninja 300 is a great example).

ie:

1000cc = 4cyl

750cc = 3cyl

500cc = 2cyl

250cc = 1 cyl

Don't forget intake manifold, throttle bodies, ignition system, and exhaust!

However they do this, I'll be interested in watching. I think the idea is outstanding as there ought to be fewer moving parts than an I4 or V2. It should be more compact than an I4 and perhaps lighter than one and possibly lighter than a twin. And let's not forget the soundtrack!

Seeing they made the XS750/850 years ago it isn't a surprise to hear they're trying the triple again. I just hope it's not mega pricy like Honda's rumored V4, and they have an equally good chassis to back it up. I'd love to see middleweight version too, or even a lightweight triple with good stuff on it. An I3 300cc bike with good brakes and suspension would be a blast! But I dream...

Don't forget intake manifold, throttle bodies, ignition system, and exhaust!

However they do this, I'll be interested in watching. I think the idea is outstanding as there ought to be fewer moving parts than an I4 or V2. It should be more compact than an I4 and perhaps lighter than one and possibly lighter than a twin. And let's not forget the soundtrack!

Seeing they made the XS750/850 years ago it isn't a surprise to hear they're trying the triple again. I just hope it's not mega pricy like Honda's rumored V4, and they have an equally good chassis to back it up. I'd love to see middleweight version too, or even a lightweight triple with good stuff on it. An I3 300cc bike with good brakes and suspension would be a blast! But I dream...

Throttles bodies would be the same. ;) just less of them. And the way everything is computer controlled you can just reprogram to tell the computer it's only running on a certain number of cylinders. You got me on the intake manifolds and exhaust tho. :bow::mad: