Another Shady Dealership...

ChiefScooter

What is going on at the dealerships these days?

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/camaro-owner-records-mechanics-abusing-car-scheming-damages-152707580.html

Basically, Camaro owner drops off car with hidden recorder, records dealership doing burnouts in his car and frying his clutch, then tries to charge him for the clutch... Wowsers. I am glad there are independent shops out there, like Shop Dog Cycles! ;)

I'm glad that not all dealerships are like that!

I'm also glad that I have high enough morals to not do something like that! I may drive the cars a little hard, but not abusive in any way. Well, there was this one time that I lit up the tires on a Ford Lightning, after someone said they couldn't get it to do so, but I kept the revs in check, and knew the owner and that they wouldn't get too upset anyway. I know that vehicle got driven a LOT harder than we did!

Scruuuuuuiiiiiiiit.

Scruuuuuuiiiiiiit.

He will be here shortly.

LOL, I saw that clip and immediately thought of him and his camera fetish. LOL In this case tho, the camera thing was a great idea.

What a blackmark on GM for them saying its all on the dealership while they wash their hands of any responsibility. The Corp is the one that can bring down the pressure to make the dealership take care of this atrocity imho.

I commented on the video and I am apparently "dickless" for saying your stupid if you think only a Chevy dealership would do this :dunno:

BS. I'm betting this kind of crap goes on most anywhere, anywhere there are 'dicks' for techs as well as ownership.

• Upvote 1

Now this one, the dealership is 100% in the wrong. Should they buy the car back? There's the grey area. Understand that Mr. Dude, Jr. came into the dealership with a USED car. Even if he only took it around the block, it's used. Definitely new clutch for free. Definitely fix whatever the initial noise was (new transmission?). But DJ can keep the car. Also saw something like this - had a guy buy a 350z brand new, planned to keep it forever as a collector car. At 1200~ miles, it started making noise and was determined that it needed some major internal timing work. Guy wanted the car bought back. Sorry, there isn't a dealer on the planet that will do that. Your car will get fixed, not replaced.

Now this one, the dealership is 100% in the wrong. Should they buy the car back? There's the grey area. Understand that Mr. Dude, Jr. came into the dealership with a USED car. Even if he only took it around the block, it's used. Definitely new clutch for free. Definitely fix whatever the initial noise was (new transmission?). But DJ can keep the car. Also saw something like this - had a guy buy a 350z brand new, planned to keep it forever as a collector car. At 1200~ miles, it started making noise and was determined that it needed some major internal timing work. Guy wanted the car bought back. Sorry, there isn't a dealer on the planet that will do that. Your car will get fixed, not replaced.

I see his viewpoint, though. If these guys banged on his car so hard that the fried the clutch, who knows what other ancillary damage was done? The article says they were doing hard launches (and I could be showing my lack of info on internal tranny workings), maybe there's some synchro damage or something to that effect. From a owner's standpoint, this is a tainted car. Would you, as the owner, really trust the same service department to make sure that they fixed all the issues surrounding this incident, and not just replace the clutch, do something to make that rattle go away, and get you and the car out of the garage as quickly as possible so you cease to be their problem?

I see his viewpoint, though. If these guys banged on his car so hard that the fried the clutch, who knows what other ancillary damage was done? The article says they were doing hard launches (and I could be showing my lack of info on internal tranny workings), maybe there's some synchro damage or something to that effect. From a owner's standpoint, this is a tainted car. Would you, as the owner, really trust the same service department to make sure that they fixed all the issues surrounding this incident, and not just replace the clutch, do something to make that rattle go away, and get you and the car out of the garage as quickly as possible so you cease to be their problem?

Oh, I see his viewpoint, sure. I'd be mad, and I might even ask for a new car. I wouldn't get one, and this guy shouldn't either. If this dealership had this shitty of a service department, hopefully this incident will show it. They need to fix the car, he needs to never go back. Maybe consider a Mustang next time.

Oh, I see his viewpoint, sure. I'd be mad, and I might even ask for a new car. I wouldn't get one, and this guy shouldn't either. If this dealership had this shitty of a service department, hopefully this incident will show it. They need to fix the car, he needs to never go back. Maybe consider a Mustang next time.

So you would trust the service department that just destroyed your clutch and is only accommodating you because you caught them to fix everything and make you whole from their fuckup? Again, what if something happens later on that you could reasonably attribute to this incident, like a synchro shredding or something to that extent? Would you trust that they would fix that as well?

If it were me, either they buy the car back, or I bring it to a shop of my choosing where they (the dealer) will pay to have the tranny/engine ripped apart and every worn part that can be pinned back to this be replaced. My guess is buying the car back might be cheaper.

If it were me, either they buy the car back, or I bring it to a shop of my choosing where they (the dealer) will pay to have the tranny/engine ripped apart and every worn part that can be pinned back to this be replaced. My guess is buying the car back might be cheaper.

This is reasonable. I'd say new tranny, new clutch, everyone move on with their lives. This guy can be back on the road with his Camaro and his mullet by dinner time.

A reasonable response would be a full inspection by another dealership, replacement of any parts obviously damaged by the abuse (clutch/tires etc), and an absolute 100% drive train warranty (from the engine to wheel bearing) to 100k miles.

If the abuse didn't mess anything else up then the dealership pays nothing. If latent problems emerge later, the dealership pays it.

If the dealership buys the car back they will sell it on (latent defects and all) to someone without disclosing the abuse to the new owner - therefore any buyback should be under the lemon law so the title is branded.

If the dealership buys the car back they will sell it on (latent defects and all) to someone without disclosing the abuse to the new owner - therefore any buyback should be under the lemon law so the title is branded.

Problem here is that the car isn't a lemon, it's just been abused. Any used car could conceivably have been abused just as bad or worse. I put clutches in cars with less than 1500 miles because people either didn't know how to drive a manual or beat the shit out of a car. Just because the dealer did it doesn't make it a lemon.

When i take my car to dealers i always wait for my car. I also walk about around (not in) the garage. I have seen some shady things.

The first time a friend dropped of a car for a tune up it didnt run right so i double checked all the work and they never replaced half the parts they said they did. i trust very few with my car or bike.