Swapping a frame/parting a bike

redkow97

I've had some interest in my track bike, but the most serious buyer doesn't have cash right now.

This has got me thinking about buying a 2003-2006 frame with a clean (or salvage) title, and then parting out whatever is left over.

How dumb of an idea is this?

It sounds like a tremendous amount of work, but I would end up with a streetfighter'd 600RR with a TON of upgraded track parts that are probably overkill for street use.

Honestly, my bigger concern is finding an affordable frame, and then getting stuck with a bunch of stock parts sitting in my garage for years. How miserable is it to part out a bike?

for reference, I would need to sell at least enough parts to buy an XR100 to race, and have some money to throw at a circular headlight for the RR, and whatever parts are necessary to make it street-legal.

I know turn signals and that sort of thing are cheap, so I'm mainly concerned with gauges and the headlight.

I've done it a number of times. You'll make your money from the first 30% of stuff you sell, grind it out for another 40-50%, then just sell the rest as a lot. Swapping the frame is work, but not ridiculous. If you're familiar with the bike already, it should take a solid day. More than a 6 pack, less than a case...

That's actually encouraging.

Where I'm worried is about the unknowns on my current bike. I believe the full wiring harness is there, but I'm not sure...

I'm also waffling on whether it would be easiest (cheapest) to find a frame for sale, or to find a crashed bike with a good frame and end up with more stuff to sell, but fewer things to swap.

ultimately, getting cash would be best...

but then all i end up with is a frame that can only be used for the track. Nothing to sell... :-/

That's why i'm shying away from this. Selling the track bike and buying a less expensive street bike is more approachable financially.